Seriously No Politics ×

Will The Dead Be Tested?

If I don't get married in this life by some set of circumstances, I do wonder from what time period or type of girl I would wind up with. I wouldn't mind a Nephite girl to wife. Or maybe some celebrity that wasn't sealed in this life and didn't marry either. Anything can happen. There are billions and billions of women in the eternities and we only need 1.

Kinda hard to date though if you are in the spirit prison...

Since baptism opens the way to paradise in the next life you should be fine as long as you are good on those convenants. If you do end up in Spirit Prison probably best to just hope it is a coed prison or your dating opportunities might not be to your taste.

BTW, have you ever heard of the "new revelations" by a gentleman in Chicago, early 20th century? Whereas they are not considered LDS doctrine, the supposed revelation contains many striking similarities to LDS and even expounds on a lot of topics dealing with progression.

I make it a point not to read revelations from a non-authorized source.

That's why I don't read Warren Jeffs revelations, James Strang's revelations, RLDS/CoC revelations.

They may be interesting, even fascinating, but I know they aren't from God's authorized mouthpiece so if they are actual revelations they can only come from one place.

It's Hiram Page all over again - D&C 28.

Edited by JLHPROF

if the 80s song with the lyrics "We'll make heaven a place on earth" mean anything,

Ah, who knew Belinda Carlisle was a prophetess - the Celestial Kingdom WILL be on earth one day...

Personally I'm hoping I get to live in Celestial Paris.

Edited by JLHPROF

Kinda hard to date though if you are in the spirit prison...

Our spirit is also known as our mind.

So what we're talking about is a mental block, which those in spirit prison impose on themselves, due to lack of faith or unbelief.

So as long as Videogame Junkie keeps his mind open to women and eventually marrying and getting sealed to a good woman who is also available and open to marrying him, and they do it before they are resurrected, then he will be fine.

Ah, who knew Belinda Carlisle was a prophetess - the Celestial Kingdom WILL be on earth one day...

Personally I'm hoping I get to live in Celestial Paris.

I already called dibs on some beachfront property. I figure most people have not called dibs yet so I can probably get whatever I want.

I already called dibs on some beachfront property. I figure most people have not called dibs yet so I can probably get whatever I want.

I've called shotgun on 40 acres of property near present day Canon Beach overlooking the Pacific ocean, but I figured I'll only need an acre or so actually on the beach. And I will allow trespassing, and time shares in several houses that will be built on the property. If you're ever nearby feel free to drop in.

I've called shotgun on 40 acres of property near present day Canon Beach overlooking the Pacific ocean, but I figured I'll only need an acre or so actually on the beach. And I will allow trespassing, and time shares in several houses that will be built on the property. If you're ever nearby feel free to drop in.

I expect you to get kicked out of heaven in the first week for trying to make money off of time shares. Then again I know people who honestly think there will be money in heaven. Their heaven scares me.

I know people who honestly think there will be money in heaven. Their heaven scares me.

Wow, some people have very strange ideas.

So, let's say you didn't hear the true gospel in this life, which is like 99% of everybody but you accept it when you die. Will you be tested to see if you are valiant in the testimony of Jesus? In the Doctrine and Covenants 101 it says about being tried like Abraham. 

Yet I will own them, and they shall be mine in that day when I shall come to make up my jewels.

Therefore, they must needs be chastened and tried, even as Abraham, who was commanded to offer up his only son.

As we all know people can join the Church here and sadly fall away sooner or later or join the Church but never embrace the gospel and understand it. I was wondering if the next life is almost like a re do of this life if you never heard the gospel and you like us today are being tried and tested

No. The period of testing is in mortality.  Each may obtain the ordinances of exaltation, but their heart and their actions are judged on the degree of truth they had in this life.  

I expect you to get kicked out of heaven in the first week for trying to make money off of time shares. Then again I know people who honestly think there will be money in heaven. Their heaven scares me.

No money involved. My idea of a time share is a certain amount of time allowed at a particular place with all being owners of the property. Probably different than what you're used to.

No. The period of testing is in mortality.  Each may obtain the ordinances of exaltation, but their heart and their actions are judged on the degree of truth they had in this life.  

that hardly sounds fair

that hardly sounds fair

Fair is a mortal concept.  God will be perfectly just tempered by mercy.  What more could we ask?

And to resent someone receiving a blessing who didn't have to work as hard for it as you or I might have done is also not in keeping with the gospel.

It would be like Christ saying:

"Hey, how come I had to be perfect without any sins AND suffer Gethesemane AND die on the cross and these guys are going to inherit everything I get.  I feel totally gypped."

The Gospel isn't about fair (equal).  It's about just (right).

So, let's say you didn't hear the true gospel in this life, which is like 99% of everybody but you accept it when you die. Will you be tested to see if you are valiant in the testimony of Jesus? In the Doctrine and Covenants 101 it says about being tried like Abraham. 

Yet I will own them, and they shall be mine in that day when I shall come to make up my jewels.

Therefore, they must needs be chastened and tried, even as Abraham, who was commanded to offer up his only son.

As we all know people can join the Church here and sadly fall away sooner or later or join the Church but never embrace the gospel and understand it. I was wondering if the next life is almost like a re do of this life if you never heard the gospel and you like us today are being tried and tested

I think everyone who is born into the earth is tested, if not as a living soul then as a spirit waiting for his resurrection. The Light of Christ operates before, during and after the time a spirit and body are mortally and “separabley” connected, and our probation is to comprehend the light by our willingness to make obedient choices, which is entirely possible for everyone. We know our tests are individualized in many ways also, which why we are commanded not to judge but to forgive one another.

Fair is a mortal concept.  God will be perfectly just tempered by mercy.  What more could we ask?

And to resent someone receiving a blessing who didn't have to work as hard for it as you or I might have done is also not in keeping with the gospel.

It would be like Christ saying:

"Hey, how come I had to be perfect without any sins AND suffer Gethesemane AND die on the cross and these guys are going to inherit everything I get.  I feel totally gypped."

The Gospel isn't about fair (equal).  It's about just (right).

I hear what you are saying but Christ is a different kettle of fish from us! hahaha! if someone were to die and then someone were to tell them "oh by the way where you will spend eternity depends on what you knew and how you lived in earth life, hope it was good and you never heard of Christ either oh man you're eternal bread has been toasted then" To me what would be fair is God placing us where he thinks we can do the most good and how much propensity for truth reception we have, some with accept it and some not just like the parable of the sower in Matt 13. We all get to hear the truth in this life or the next and God alone knows who would have "received with all their hearts" DC 130 something something

Nice try, but "I" will still be just as alive when I am "dead" as I am now and ever will be. I know I will have separated myself from my mortal body then but "I" will still be alive. My point was simply that our spirits are not mortal, but eternal. Always.

Let's clarify what you are saying, in other words:

If being dead [or: If our spirit being separated from our mortal body] isn't part of the experience of being mortal then nothing is.

Hmmm. I suppose I could agree with that, but I tend to think of the experience of being mortal as the time when an eternal spirit is living in a mortal body.

You were saying our spirit is mortal. Mortality isn't all about death, though, because some living is going on too.

Hence, it would seem kinda strange for any half-informed Latter-day Saint to think of the spirit as mortal.

Death as in separation, and as in separated from righteousness. Not mortal. Our spirits are and will never be mortal.

Instead of continuing to nitpick your comments to death I'm just going to say this is all about semantics and your choice of words sounding a little strange to me. But we mostly agree. I would just have said things a little bit differently.

Are you sure the spirit cannot die? And are you also sure the state between physical death and the resurrection isn't part and parcel of the pre-resurrection mortal state? Please read the following...

10 O how great the goodness of our God, who prepareth a way for our escape from the grasp of this awful monster; yea, that monster, death and hell, which I call the death of the body, and also the death of the spirit (so, at least according to Jacob, the spirit CAN die).

11 And because of the way of deliverance of our God, the Holy One of Israel, this death, of which I have spoken, which is the temporal, shall deliver up its dead; which death is the grave.

12 And this death of which I have spoken, which is the spiritual death, shall deliver up its dead (so those spirits who are in hell are considered dead); which spiritual death is hell; wherefore, death and hell must deliver up their dead, and hell must deliver up its captive spirits, and the grave must deliver up its captive bodies, and the bodies and the spirits of men will be restored one to the other; and it is by the power of the resurrection of the Holy One of Israel.

13 O how great the plan of our God! For on the other hand, the paradise of God must deliver up the spirits of the righteous, and the grave deliver up the body of the righteous; and the spirit and the body is restored to itself again, and all men become incorruptible, and immortal (so if it isn't until after the resurrection that the formerly dead are considered to be immortal, what then should we call state they are in prior to becoming immortal?... immortal? hardly), and they are living souls, having a perfect knowledge like unto us in the flesh, save it be that our knowledge shall be perfect. (2 Nephi 9)

But now I'll endeavor to put a full end to our apparent, though unnecessary, disagreement. The reason why Peter declares those who receive the Gospel after death are judged according to men in the flesh (i.e. as if they are still living in the flesh) but live according to the commandments of God in the spirit world is because, until the resurrection and final judgement have taken place, men are treated by God AS IF they are still living on earth in the flesh (all gospel ordinances, including eternal marriages, must be performed "in the flesh") . This is why when deceased persons are baptized, confirmed, initiated, endowed and sealed through proxies, as far as the law of the Gospel is concerned, it is not the proxies who have participated in the ordinances but the deceased persons themselves.

Because of His great love, compassion and mercy, deceased souls are regarded by God as still alive on earth. In the mind and heart of God, and for all intents and purposes, the dead are still living on earth in mortal bodies of flesh, bone and blood. For all the above reasons, life after death in the spirit world will remain a continuation of the mortal probationary state until the last needed gospel ordinance has been  performed and God has raised the dead preparatory to the final judgement. 

Edited by teddyaware

We all get to hear the truth in this life or the next and God alone knows who would have "received with all their hearts" DC 130 something something

I agree--I think this assessment is made by how receptive they have been to the Light of Christ, whether they knew it by that name or not in this life, and no matter when they have their opportunity to both receive it suffieintly to act upon it unto entering the covenants of exaltation.

Are you sure the spirit cannot die? And are you also sure the state between physical death and the resurrection isn't part and parcel of the pre-resurrected mortal state? Please read the following...

10 O how great the goodness of our God, who prepareth a way for our escape from the grasp of this awful monster; yea, that monster, death and hell, which I call the death of the body, and also the death of the spirit (so, at least according to Jacob, the spirit CAN die).

11 And because of the way of deliverance of our God, the Holy One of Israel, this death, of which I have spoken, which is the temporal, shall deliver up its dead; which death is the grave.

12 And this death of which I have spoken, which is the spiritual death, shall deliver up its dead (so those spirits who are in hell are considered dead); which spiritual death is hell; wherefore, death and hell must deliver up their dead, and hell must deliver up its captive spirits, and the grave must deliver up its captive bodies, and the bodies and the spirits of men will be restored one to the other; and it is by the power of the resurrection of the Holy One of Israel.

13 O how great the plan of our God! For on the other hand, the paradise of God must deliver up the spirits of the righteous, and the grave deliver up the body of the righteous; and the spirit and the body is restored to itself again, and all men become incorruptible, and immortal (so if it isn't until after the resurrection that the formerly dead are considered to be immortal, what then should we call state they are in prior to becoming immortal?... immortal? hardly), and they are living souls, having a perfect knowledge like unto us in the flesh, save it be that our knowledge shall be perfect. (2 Nephi 9)

But now I'll endeavor to put a full end to our apparent, though unnecessary, disagreement. The reason why Peter declares those who receive the Gospel after death are judged according to men in the flesh (i.e. as if they are still living in the flesh) but live according to the commandments of God in the spirit world is because until the resurrection and final judgement have taken place, men are treated by God AS IF they are still living on earth in the flesh (all gospel ordinances, including eternal marriages, must be performed "in the flesh") . This is why when deceased persons are baptized, confirmed, initiated, endowed and sealed through proxies, as far as the law of the Gospel is concerned, it is not the proxies who have participated in the ordinances but the deceased persons themselves.

Because of His great love, compassion and mercy, deceased souls are regarded by God as still alive on earth. In the mind and heart of God, and for all intents and purposes, the dead are still living on earth in mortal bodies of flesh, bone and blood. For all the above reasons, life after death in the spirit world will remain a continuation of the mortal probationary state until the last needed gospel ordinance has been performed and God has raised the dead preparatory to the final judgement.

Death is a separation. The death we usually think of is the separation of a spirit from its mortal body, so in that sense it is the death/separation of the spirit from its mortal body as well as the death/separation of the mortal body from its spirit. That's what Jacob was talking about in verse 10.

In verse 12 Jacob was talking about spirits in spirit prison, which are those who were separated from the righteous, so that is the type of death/separation he was talking about then.

What sounds strange to me is how you seem to be talking about the spirit as if it is mortal, which it never is, although it can be separated from a mortal body.

I agree that our "probationary" state ends at our resurrection, but our spirits are not at any time "mortal" even when our spirit has separated from its mortal body. I think I understand what you mean now, though. You consider the entire time our spirit is separated from its body as the mortal state, even though the spirit is still eternal during that time. Just semantics I think and I just don't think of it that way.