The Origin Of (Our) Species

Coreyb

Matter is not eternal. Though it is very longed lived. This universe is some 14 billion years old. Before then it was just an infinitely small and infinitely hot dot of energy. Some 100,000 Trillion, Trillion, Trillion, Trillion, Trillion years from now entropy will have won and this universe will dissolve to uniformly diffuse enegy.

Well, not really because of conservation of energy, Matter and energy, being interchangeable, is eternal, even if it is diffused.  The amount of "stuff" in the system remains constant.  Theologically, my faith in the atonement is that the Atonement is a force by way of the power of God that makes certain things eternal in spite of entropy.  Resurrection, eternal marriage, forgiveness, and so forth and so on, are made possible by the atonement and these effects are eternal.  Even while if left on its own, the Universe could devolve into that state.  But with God's intervention, we will have either colonized another Universe when this one is no longer a fit home for us, or God will keep entropy from destroying that which is eternal in this Universe in some way.

Matter is not eternal. Though it is very longed lived.This universe is some 14 billion years old. Before then it was just an infinitely small and infinitely hot dot of energy. Some 100,000 Trillion, Trillion, Trillion, Trillion, Trillion years from now entropy will have won and this universe will dissolve to uniformly diffuse enegy.

Imagination has great influence on data interpretation doesn't it?  Wouldn't it be more honest to say, we think This universe is some 14 billion years old. Before then it was just an infinitely small and infinitely hot dot of energy. Some 100,000 Trillion, Trillion, Trillion, Trillion, Trillion years from now entropy will have won and this universe will dissolve to uniformly diffuse energy.

Well, not really because of conservation of energy, Matter and energy, being interchangeable, is eternal, even if it is diffused.  The amount of "stuff" in the system remains constant.  Theologically, my faith in the atonement is that the Atonement is a force by way of the power of God that makes certain things eternal in spite of entropy.  Resurrection, eternal marriage, forgiveness, and so forth and so on, are made possible by the atonement and these effects are eternal.  Even while if left on its own, the Universe could devolve into that state.  But with God's intervention, we will have either colonized another Universe when this one is no longer a fit home for us, or God will keep entropy from destroying that which is eternal in this Universe in some way.

Depends of how far you want to to take that. They are interchangeable because of E=MC (Squared) but in order for matter to exist energy must cool down(diffuse),

The total amount of stuff doesn't change, what does change is it concentrations. IE; In Nuclear decay the total amount of energy and matter stays the same. However its concentrations do change.

God can do whatever he wants. Science doesn't have much to say about what happens to us after we die, other than our physical bodies rot away to dust.

In about another 5 billion years our sun will have used up all of its hydrogen. It will expand consuming all the planets out to ours. If God knows of a way to add more hydrogen to our sun he sure hasn't told us.

Edited by thesometimesaint

I guess from the first moment long ago that a man looked up in the night sky, and said to himself "I wonder what those bright shiny things are" we have used our imaginations to make sense of it.

And that is good. Just don't try to pretend it describes what happened millions of years in the past or what will happen trillions of years in the future.

Without the ability to make accurate logical predictions about what has happened and will happen. We are better off hiding in caves being afraid of things that go bump in the night. You might want to live like that but I doubt the vast majority of the world does.

Depends of how far you want to to take that. They are interchangeable because of E=MC (Squared) but in order for matter to exist energy must cool down(diffuse),

The total amount of stuff doesn't change, what does change is it concentrations. IE; In Nuclear decay the total amount of energy and matter stays the same. However its concentrations do change.

God can do whatever he wants. Science doesn't have much to say about what happens to us after we die, other than our physical bodies rot away to dust.

In about another 5 billion years our sun will have used up all of its hydrogen. It will expand consuming all the planets out to ours. If God knows of a way to add more hydrogen to our sun he sure hasn't told us.

All true, but again, this is really about God making some things eternal.  Our concern isn't so much the ultimate state of the stuff that is not.

I guess from the first moment long ago that a man looked up in the night sky, and said to himself "I wonder what those bright shiny things are" we have used our imaginations to make sense of it.

You nailed it! It even applies to finding the fossils in the geologic column- using vivid imagnation to make sense of it.

Without the ability to make accurate logical predictions about what has happened and will happen. We are better off hiding in caves being afraid of things that go bump in the night. You might want to live like that but I doubt the vast majority of the world does.

Bump.  Boo.

"MormonFreeThinker" post="1209477290" timestamp="1426731924"]why did you ignore the examples I gave you?

You said- " The "no blood before the Fall" is no longer published in new church manuals. "Global Flood" is not mentioned by any general authority."

I never said anything, nor care about blood before the fall.

The flood being global is official church doctrine.

Edited by Rob Osborn

but now you are contradicting yourself because "no blood" before the Fall was mentioned in many church publications, but it is not official doctrine. 

So what is official doctrine? 

So is it or isn't it official doctrine?

Oh never mind I doubt you would know.

You tell me, "no blood" before the Fall is nowhere in scripture, and it is no longer published in new manuals. 

Is it official doctrine? 

Oh so there is one thing you don't know?

You tell me, "no blood" before the Fall is nowhere in scripture, and it is no longer published in new manuals. 

Is it official doctrine? 

It is all doctrine if it is in our Scriptures. Now when it comes down to the interpretation of those Scriptures not so much. The challenge comes in when the interpretation of those Scriptures makes no sense in relationship to other Scriptures, and science. There are three probable outcomes from the Flood story.

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

Albert Einstein

1. Dismiss God. Blind

2. Dismiss the science. Lame

3. Find a way to combine the two and still retain faith in God and accept the science.

• Upvote 1
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By mfbukowski
      Mormons believe that the fall of Adam was "fortunate" and actually part of God's plan, since it gave us choice between good and evil and therefore able to merit praise for our actions and to overcome evil in our lives, or alternately follow a sinful path and cut ourselves off from our Father and make repentance harder, if not impossible in some cases.
      Without the choice to overcome temptation, we cannot overcome the "natural" or "carnal" tendencies within ourselves and attempt to become Christlike- many scriptures speak of "overcoming the world", and that is not possible without fully experiencing both the good and the bad within the world.
      The follower of Christ is to be IN the world but not OF the world.
      It appears that this idea varies from the view of Pope Francis in a recent interview.
      https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2018/01/deliver-us-from-dynamic-equivalence
      And at least from this article, it seems some scholars would come down more on the idea that we should be proactive in overcoming temptation rather than avoiding it.
      What do you think?
      Are there any defenders of Pope Francis here?

• By Chrysblack2017
      The Daughters of MOTHER EVE
      of Latter-Day Saints

1. We believe that God is a title that denotes more than one personage. Those personages are our Father and Mother in Heaven.

2. We believe Jesus Christ is the Savior of Mankind and Mother Eve the Comforter of mankind.

3. We believe that we were given the Sarahic1 Priestesshood in the pre-existence through Mother Eve.

4. We believe that the Miriamic1 Priestesshood is to help prepare women to take on the duties of the Sarahic1Priestesshood.

5. We believe that women should lead side by side and hand in hand with our brothers, husbands, and fathers.

6. We believe that our duty and calling is separate and complimentary to the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

7. We believe that there should be no poor among us. To help the poor build a secure life with love and understanding. 

8. We believe that poverty is instability in home ownership, food availability and job security.

9. We believe that through personal accountability and community support we can achieve the fullest measure of our creation.

10. We believe that holy script has been changed by false priests and evil transcribers to exclude and persecute those who were a different gender, race, nationality, and sexuality.

11. We believe through objective thought and careful prayer we will be able to strip prejudice from ourselves and our beliefs.

12. We believe that we are saved through Jesus Christ and we are here Because of the sacrifice of Mother Eve.

1 These names were chosen in the same manner that The Melchizedek and the Aaronic Priesthood names were chosen.  Namely by calling them after Women that faithful to the Priestesshood, otherwise known as the Priestesshood after the Order of the Daughter of God.  
    • By Cold Steel
      Ordinarily I enjoy presentations by FairLDS, but recently I've been trying to make sense of Darwinian evolution and found this address by Stephen Peck. Entitled Why Evolution and LDS Thought are Fully Compatible, I thought there might be some relation between the title and the content. But if there is, I'm afraid I'm missing it. I'd hoped it might help me in some discussions with some atheists, also my understanding of the topic. On the one hand we LDS have a pronounced view of Adam, the Prince, the Ancient of Days, Michael the Archangel, Eve's Main Squeeze. The first man, who brought sin into the world and head of the first dispensation. 
      On the other, we have man existing supposedly for millions of years. Neanderthals, Lucy and the Taung Child. Completely indisputable, you can't argue with science! Only I didn't find anything useful in his address. Is evolution a cold, hard fact? If so, where does Adam come in? How old is the oldest writing extant? How do we know man has been here for millions of years? And how do we know Lucy and the Taung Child are related to man and not just some unrelated creatures? 
      Can anyone help me out?

• By Analytics
      Several people have noticed a pattern—when the tension between mainstream society and the Church becomes too large, the Church modifies to ease the tension.  The two most obvious examples are polygamy and the racial priesthood ban.  Many people think that society will continue to become more and more accepting of same-sex families as a normal, healthy variation of families, leading to more and more tension between mainstream society and the Church.  Several predict this tension will be resolved by the Church updating its position on same-sex families.  Others say this will never happen and anybody who thinks in might doesn’t understand the clear doctrine behind the Church’s current position.

I’d like to discuss a counter-argument to this: the theory of evolution.  Apparently, a BYU professor and 84.26% of the participants on this message board think that faithful members of the Church can believe in evolution.  On the one hand, I agree—faithful Mormons can believe anything they want—as long as they pay their tithing, don’t smoke or drink, attend church, and don’t make waves, they can believe pretty-much anything they want about anything and still get a temple recommend.  But on the other hand, that doesn’t mean their beliefs are consistent with doctrine.

The doctrinal point in question has been called by Bruce R. McConkie "The Three Pillars of Eternity."  In his own words:

The three pillars of eternity, the three events, preeminent and transcendent above all others, are the creation, the fall, and the atonement. These three are the foundations upon which all things rest. Without any one of them all things would lose their purpose and meaning, and the plans and designs of Deity would come to naught.

If there had been no creation, we would not be, neither the earth, nor any form of life upon its face. All things, all the primal elements, would be without form and void. God would have no spirit children; there would be no mortal probation; and none of us would be on the way to immortality and eternal life.

If there had been no fall of man, there would not be a mortal probation. Mortal man would not be, nor would there be animals or fowls or fishes or life of any sort upon the earth. And, we repeat, none of us would be on the way to immortality and eternal life.

If there had been no atonement of Christ, all things would be lost. The purposes of creation would vanish away. Lucifer would triumph over men and become the captain of their souls. And, we say it again, none of us would be on the way to immortality and eternal life.

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/bruce-r-mcconkie_three-pillars-eternity/

That’s classic Mormon doctrine and is absolutely central.

Here is a quote from the book Straight Answers to Tough Gospel Questions by Joseph Fielding McConkie:

Q: Is the theory of evolution compatible with the doctrine of the Fall?

A: No. We can tug, twist, contort, and sell our birthright, but we cannot overcome the irreconcilable differences between the theory of organic evolution and the doctrine of the Fall.

This is of course true, and is supported by multiple books of scripture, the temple ceremony, and multiple generations of latter-day Prophets.  Despite all of that, thanks to our modern sensibilities 84.26% agree that Mormons can believe in evolution.

So if Mormon doctrine can evolve enough to make room for organic evolution, why can’t it evolve in a way that makes room for same-sex families?  The change to the core doctrine to make room for evolution is by far the more drastic.
    • By stephenpurdy
      I am quite on board with just about everything that LDS church leaders are teaching in terms of doctrine at this time .... except maybe one thing.

It may surprise you what it is. 

I have often seen among Latter-Day-Saints this idea that Adam and Eve (particularly Eve) was quite aware of why her decision to eat the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil was necessary.  I don't know if I agree with this concept that she had it all figured out.

Of course, I agree that the fall was what I call an, "unfortunate necessity", however, I do not agree that either Adam or Eve understood exactly why this was the case. 

Is there any scripture that points to the idea that they acted out of wisdom in that situation they were placed in?

-Stephen