Seriously No Politics ×

Prove To Me Your Faith Is Correct...

LOSTONE

Is this even possible to do? Can anyone prove to another that their faith ( believes ) are correct? We can quote words from this book and that book, from this person and that person, but is that proof? We can argue our believes using examples and stating what we believe are facts, but is this proof? We can gather up others who believe as we do, but is there proof in numbers? Can we ever really prove that our faith is correct?

No matter what we say or do, we can not prove that our faith is correct to another person if that person is not honestly open to the possibility that our faith is or at least might be correct. But more so, do we really need to prove to anyone that our faith is correct other than to ourselves?

Nope. Can't prove it. Not till we all have a knowledge of what is true. When I think about Satan though I am not even sure things can be proven when we all have knowledge though - it always amazes me that he would do the things he does with the knowledge he has even as I get the concept of how rebellion makes you think not so straight.

So, no, it can't be proven with the limited knowledge we have. It just comes down to that personal connection we have with God.

Nope.  There's no proof.  Only good fruit.  I'm not perfect (if it needs to be said!), but I believe what I believe and live the way I live because it bears good fruit in my life.  Whatever differences there might be between what I believe and what someone else believes, if his belief bears good fruit in his life, more power to him.  (We can, however, invite someone else to plant the seed of faith and testify that it will bear good fruit in his life, as well.  :))

Edited by Kenngo1969

The Holy Ghost can confirm the truthfulness of individual doctrine, that scriptures are of Him, that God approves of a choice we have made.   Even if the logic of the evidences is overwhelming, that is at most a circumstantial case --- and circumstantial cases are sufficient for some people to deem something proven, but not all people.

Jesus told those He taught that if they wished to know for sure if something was from Him, they had to live it.   That suggests that  living His teachings fully can lead to sufficient proof for the individual who does so.

Edited by rpn

Lo, no human can demonstrate the rightness of their faith.  That is an area left totally in the hands of God through the work of the Holy Spirit. 

I believe that God does guide and direct his children when they humble themselves and ask for his guidance.  He will direct you, guide you, and uphold you when you express the desire to follow him.

Some people are just perverse. They know full well that certain activities are not healthy or are very dangerous, yet they still do them. I see folks talking on cell phones or texting while they drive a car. Is there proof that such is dangerous to themselves and others? Definitely, but they think they are special and nothing will happen to them. Do we really expect them to do something that might ' cramp their style ' and take some effort even though it will be good for them in the long run?

I see the satan type around all the time, even in the mirror. They know, they have proof, but in reality they don't care. Either that or it is too much effort to change.

Is this even possible to do? Can anyone prove to another that their faith ( believes ) are correct? We can quote words from this book and that book, from this person and that person, but is that proof? We can argue our believes using examples and stating what we believe are facts, but is this proof? We can gather up others who believe as we do, but is there proof in numbers? Can we ever really prove that our faith is correct?

No matter what we say or do, we can not prove that our faith is correct to another person if that person is not honestly open to the possibility that our faith is or at least might be correct. But more so, do we really need to prove to anyone that our faith is correct other than to ourselves?

You are correct.  Faith is not transferrable. A testimony is not transferrable.  We may talk about our faith or beliefs till the cows come home, but only via the witness of the Holy Spirit will another person actually know that that faith is true.  We may convince people to investigate or explore a belief-system, and we may even get them to join with us through friendship or convincing words, but they must ultimately stand on their own -- and can only do so through the testimony of the Holy Ghost.

So what else is new?

Join us... We have green jello!

I am not sure if you are trying to temp me into become Mormon, lol. But if you are, it’s not much of a leap for me at this point given what I am learning about LDS / Mormons. However, jello ( green or other wise ) will not work as a temptation device on me, lol. I know exactly where and how jello comes from and it is very gross. Now it you said donuts, that is a different story, lol. I have a major donut addiction and I am not seeking to be free of it, lol. Just a little humor in a day and life that can and often is a challenge to deal with. Thx.

I am not sure if you are trying to temp me into become Mormon, lol. But if you are, it’s not much of a leap for me at this point given what I am learning about LDS / Mormons. However, jello ( green or other wise ) will not work as a temptation device on me, lol. I know exactly where and how jello comes from and it is very gross. Now it you said donuts, that is a different story, lol. I have a major donut addiction and I am not seeking to be free of it, lol. Just a little humor in a day and life that can and often is a challenge to deal with. Thx.

Just had to smile here because I make doughnuts in a bakery.,.doesn't matter what you believe..you can have a doughnut!

The green jello is to weed out the faint of heart. 

The green jello is to weed out the faint of heart. 

You know darn well that is evil unless purified by the addition of pineapple and pure white cottage cheese! :girl_devil:

I love ya guys, but I am still on the outside ( not a Mormon ) looking in so can we keep with donuts. Jello kind of does like me nor me him/her. Donuts are awesome. Thanks. :crazy:

We can persuade others by organizing our arguments and testifying by the spirit. But it's the spirit that does the proving.

I think the only way to truly know truth from God is to ask Him and find out for yourself.

"If any of you lack wisdom let him ask of God" still applies today.

Have you read the Book of Mormon and taken Moronis challenge yet?

We can persuade others by organizing our arguments and testifying by the spirit. But it's the spirit that does the proving.

I think the only way to truly know truth from God is to ask Him and find out for yourself.

"If any of you lack wisdom let him ask of God" still applies today.

Have you read the Book of Mormon and taken Moronis challenge yet?

Yes, I have read the Book of Mormon. I have my own copy, but honestly, I can't really understand alot of it. What Mormon Challenge?

Yes, I have read the Book of Mormon. I have my own copy, but honestly, I can't really understand alot of it. What Mormon Challenge?

Moroni 10:4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would aask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not btrue; and if ye shall ask with a csincere heart, with dreal intent, having efaith in Christ, he will fmanifest the gtruth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. 

In other words: When you have read the Book of Mormon, I Moroni, would exhort you to ask God the Father, in the name of Christ, if it is true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will let you know the truth of it, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

He goes on to say that the Holy Ghost or Spirit can let you know the truth of all things.

Edited by Rain

Was it the language used that you didn't understand? Would an overview of it help you?

No, I fully understand the language used. It's how some of the words are structure and how some of the sentences are structure that give me multiple impressions of the same statement that is causing me an issue. Almost to be saying different things in the same wording.

Do you think I would have problems understanding the language?

Some do. The woman the missionaries and I taught today does. But then from your description it may be that we are talking about the same thing.

Most of the Book of Mormon is straightforward and easy for me to understand (though I am constantly finding more in it), but I was raised with it so it feels natural. For others just learning about it, it can feel not so natural.

I can thinking of a number of things you may be describing. Is there any chance you can remember an example of what you were explaining so maybe one of us can help?

Some do. The woman the missionaries and I taught today does. But then from your description it may be that we are talking about the same thing.

Most of the Book of Mormon is straightforward and easy for me to understand (though I am constantly finding more in it), but I was raised with it so it feels natural. For others just learning about it, it can feel not so natural.

I can thinking of a number of things you may be describing. Is there any chance you can remember an example of what you were explaining so maybe one of us can help?

Thanks for the offer to help. I think it's my mind set. Maybe I need a true clear moment just to read the Book of Mormon to understand it. I think I should talk to one of my Mormon friends and see if I can sit with them and work on this matter. Can't hurt. Thanks again.

I don't necessarily agree with everything this individual has posted on his site, but it might be helpful for a basic view:

http://bookofmormononline.net/home

There is also the Church seminary (high school) and Institute (college, but I would say it is freshman college and more devotional than academic) at ldsces.org.

Addon: looks like they've changed the addresses/website and included seminary and institute on lds.org now, at least for general consumption:

https://www.lds.org/manual?lang=eng

Nope, they haven't, my memory may be faulty or just too old of a link...

Go to si.lds.org for just the seminary and institute manuals.

Edited by calmoriah

If the you're looking for something to help understand our history Mattew Bowman's The Mormon People: The Making of an American Faith (2012) is a good overview to put things together. It goes from the 19th Century up into the Romney campain (around 350 pages). I think it was pretty well circulated during the "Mormon Moment" so it is probably in most libaries. It's also on Amazon for a under a $1.00 used.