Seriously No Politics ×

Adhd Another Concensus Beginning To Crumble?

ERayR

Is ADHD a real disease? Yes.  Is it over-diagnosed? Yes. In western medicine we are constantly looking for the magic pills that will cure all our problems without any real effort on our part. Psycho-social diseases require more than a magic pill or talk therapy alone it takes both and active participation by the patient to work effectively.

It is very common for kids with Ekbom-Willis disorder (the current name of Restless Legs Syndrome…hate both names) to be misdiagnosed as ADHD due to lack of sleep leading to hyperactivity in kids as much as sleepiness (just think of some kids' behavior if they go past their usual bedtimes, they don't fall asleep on the couch, they start bouncing off the walls).  Then they are given drugs that aggravate the problem, not make it better.  In order to diagnose RLS, it can take quite of bit of time, including getting a lifelong medical history, talking to the kid about how it feels…which may take sometime to get a decent description, and an overnight sleep study to rule out other possible disorders.

I would go in and say "I am exhausted all the time, sleeping more than 10 hours a day and still no energy, but am overall happy, just very frustrated".  Doctors would ignore most of that, say "you are depressed" and send me home with drugs that would make it worse.

Not surprised that this happens with the kid's version of most popular to diagnose disorder imo (depression for adults, ADHD for kids).

I was diagnosed as ADHD when I was a kid. I can tell you from personal experience it is bunk. What changed? I did, I chose to concentrate and to focus and not day dream so much. Did the meds help? I mom claims they did. But I don't need them now, not sure I needed them, then, either.

I teach my daughter, who has been clinically diagnosed as ADHD that it is a bunch of crap and that she is in control. As a result she is doing better because she chooses to.

The restless leg syndrome? That is an interesting one, there are several times lately where I can relate how my legs will not calm down at night. And I fidget and can barely control them. Drives me nuts

All I have to say, is "what ever" to either way you look at it. If you want to believe everything you are told by a doctor then that is your choice. As for me I have learned that everything is not so cut and dried and there are reason, outside of what they are claiming, for what you "have".

I was diagnosed as ADHD when I was a kid. I can tell you from personal experience it is bunk. What changed? I did, I chose to concentrate and to focus and not day dream so much. Did the meds help? I mom claims they did. But I don't need them now, not sure I needed them, then, either.

I teach my daughter, who has been clinically diagnosed as ADHD that it is a bunch of crap and that she is in control. As a result she is doing better because she chooses to.

The restless leg syndrome? That is an interesting one, there are several times lately where I can relate how my legs will not calm down at night. And I fidget and can barely control them. Drives me nuts

rls.org….and if you are interested in nonmedical treatment, suggestions on how to distract oneself until the sensations pass, try this site:

http://www.rlshelp.org

Go to the treatment page and then go down to Other Treatments for supplements (I swear by magnesium…good to include calcium…and iron, need to get ferritin levels tested to not overdo that though) and also non drug treatment.  For some reason it doesn't give a different webpage address for the treatment page, so a few extra clicks, sorry.

PS:  I've had to remove chocolate completely from my diet since I recently was able to drop my meds due to some supplements I am taking, means more breakthrough, but less overall drugs means less tolerance and less likely to have to raise them in the future or even worse, they stop working altogether.  Life feels like a chemistry experiment sometimes.

It is very common for kids with Ekbom-Willis disorder (the current name of Restless Legs Syndrome…hate both names) to be misdiagnosed as ADHD due to lack of sleep leading to hyperactivity in kids as much as sleepiness (just think of some kids' behavior if they go past their usual bedtimes, they don't fall asleep on the couch, they start bouncing off the walls).  Then they are given drugs that aggravate the problem, not make it better.  In order to diagnose RLS, it can take quite of bit of time, including getting a lifelong medical history, talking to the kid about how it feels…which may take sometime to get a decent description, and an overnight sleep study to rule out other possible disorders.

I would go in and say "I am exhausted all the time, sleeping more than 10 hours a day and still no energy, but am overall happy, just very frustrated".  Doctors would ignore most of that, say "you are depressed" and send me home with drugs that would make it worse.

Not surprised that this happens with the kid's version of most popular to diagnose disorder imo (depression for adults, ADHD for kids).

I suspect that a huge number of disorders in kids (and adults) is caused, or exacerbated, by inadequate sleep.

Drunk driving is more often a cause of combined lack of sleep and driving, on another issue…and driving when sleepy is as bad as driving while drunk.  People should avoid driving past midnight as much as possible.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/sleep/articles/2010/11/08/driving-drowsy-as-bad-as-driving-drunk

My father in law fell asleep at the wheel, he was okay but his wife was in a coma for six weeks and then suffered from severe brain and body damage the rest of her life.

Drunk driving is more often a cause of combined lack of sleep and driving, on another issue…and driving when sleepy is as bad as driving while drunk. People should avoid driving past midnight as much as possible.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/sleep/articles/2010/11/08/driving-drowsy-as-bad-as-driving-drunk

My father in law fell asleep at the wheel, he was okay but his wife was in a coma for six weeks and then suffered from severe brain and body damage the rest of her life.

That is horrible, your poor in laws, so tragic.

He devoted the rest of his life to caring for her.  It was not a bad life, she was happy and surrounded by the people she loved.  When he died, she just faded away she missed him so much and died a month later even though her health didn't really change.  I see it as unfortunate, but not tragic.  It allowed their love to expand in a way it hadn't been before.   Love and God can turn a lot of tragedies into happy endings.

He devoted the rest of his life to caring for her. It was not a bad life, she was happy and surrounded by the people she loved. When he died, she just faded away she missed him so much and died a month later even though her health didn't really change. I see it as unfortunate, but not tragic. It allowed their love to expand in a way it hadn't been before. Love and God can turn a lot of tragedies into happy endings.

Sounds like my mom, when my dad died of a heart attack, she died 2 months later. She had Alzheimer's but she knew he was gone and quit eating. It was very interesting, since she seemed to have forgotten who every one of her family was, yet she knew my dad had died. To this day I feel extreme guilt that I wasn't there when she died.

rls.org….and if you are interested in nonmedical treatment, suggestions on how to distract oneself until the sensations pass, try this site:

http://www.rlshelp.org

Go to the treatment page and then go down to Other Treatments for supplements (I swear by magnesium…good to include calcium…and iron, need to get ferritin levels tested to not overdo that though) and also non drug treatment. For some reason it doesn't give a different webpage address for the treatment page, so a few extra clicks, sorry.

PS: I've had to remove chocolate completely from my diet since I recently was able to drop my meds due to some supplements I am taking, means more breakthrough, but less overall drugs means less tolerance and less likely to have to raise them in the future or even worse, they stop working altogether. Life feels like a chemistry experiment sometimes.

Have you heard of the benefits of Tumeric? It's supposed to have surpassed medications as far as effectiveness goes.

That doesn't really make sense. RLS more likely happens in the brain though the sensations can be overpowered by moving the limbs and causing stronger signals sent.

I say it happens in the brain because people with limbs amputated still feel it in their phanthom limbs. Also I had it when an epidural blocked sensation to my legs. Almost set off a panic attack when I couldn't move, but distracted myself by having a baby.

Anything that says it is an absolute cure is malarkey given there are multiple causes for it.

So after checking out Turmeric, I've started on it in hopes that it helps with the neuropathy.  Would love to be able to not worry about foot pain.  So thanks for the suggestion.  I will let you know if it helps.

So after checking out Turmeric, I've started on it in hopes that it helps with the neuropathy. Would love to be able to not worry about foot pain. So thanks for the suggestion. I will let you know if it helps.

I've started it also, mine is a combo of Tumeric and fish oil from Puritan's Pride, a really inexpensive company if you didn't already know about them. Yes, please let me know if it helps! ETA: Just found a better way to take Tumeric! I guess it may be best to take it raw! Go to this website, http//:www.mrsikhnet.com/2012/01/06/the-healing-power-of-tumeric-how-to-make-golden-milk/ in it is a video with a woman demonstrating how to make it. She mentions that if you take it in milk at night it is a good sleep aid. Also, for people that have any kind of inflammation, you can see results within 3 days. Hope this helps!

Where can you get it raw in Utah?

Struggling to type the website, not by a computer. It's just the regular turmeric you buy in powder form and if you watch the video then you'll see how she mixes it with water on the stove. Tomorrow I can c/p the link. Maybe buy in bulk. But you probably need to check with your doctor to make sure you are ok to take it. ETA: Saw some great deals on Amazon for bulk Tumeric! Sorry to derail the topic on ADHD btw.

Okay, got it.  I will be getting it in bulk if it works for sure, but it was easier just to ask my husband to hit Good Earth and pick up some capsules for a trial.  Will even make it into a paste and rub it on the feet and put some black socks on and end up with permanently yellow feet if that works.   ;)

Back to the ADHD topic…though I bet I could find a page that claims Turmeric cures that as well.   :)

PS:  just read don't take it at night because it may stimulate you

L wrote a long treatise on my son with ADHD. Then I deleted it somehow. It has been a trial and he is underemployed after graduating from college. He has always just barely scraped by and his wife has had to be the breadwinner for long periods. We pray for him still and he never goes to Church. After serving a great mission, he stopped goi. We tried all types of therapy and medication. We ended up working out and making his life as structured as possible and no more medication. Private tutoring seemed to help. We have never stopped worrying and many of the ADHD habits remain at 25, this can all be a great trial. My wife and I just have to look at each other and say we did the best we could,

• 1 month later...

You challenge a consensus with peer-reviewed evidence, not with news articles.

That is something that many here do not understand. 

In a perfect world, yes.  But in today's world, even science is tainted by political correctness (dearth of real and continuing research on homosexuality unless it supports that lifestyle) or political gain (AGW; fudging the data to drive policy).

As to Attention Deficit Disorder, I have "suffered" with this all my life.  Not the hyperactivity, though.  I was always quiet as a kid, and if I could find something interesting then I could dig in and pay attention.  Some will say that this is a normal thing, but after my brother's daughter was diagnosed with ADHD he finally knew what was "wrong" with me, as he put it.  Because her symptoms (and she had others, too) were similar to mine.  Before this, I used to wonder what was wrong with me -- I couldn't finish things, and when I started a project it took enormous efforts to keep onto it.

What cured me was taking one med that at a very low dose turned me into a focused machine.  I could feel it, too, and my wife said that I suddenly became very undistractable -- distractibility being a problem she had dealt with me on for years. The side-effects were unpleasant, and I stopped taking the med, but the experience taught me something very important: I now knew what it FELT like to be focused.  And it turned out that I could "turn it on" at will after that.  If I needed to be focused, well, I just buckled down and focused.  It didn't work all the time, but it made a big improvement in my life.

Archived