I Got Some Questions

LOSTONE

I know I should be asking someone from the missionary or local meeting house these questions, but right now, I am asking here. I hope that is not a problem and forgive me if these are stupid questions. I probably was already given these answers but forgot. Oh and [ http://www.mormon.org/faq/topic/culture/question/mormon-lifestyle ] does not address these things.

Q1/A. - Do Mormons have beard or other facial air?
( I have a beard and rather not shave it if I should become more involved with LDS / Mormon things. )
Q1/B. - Hair cuts?
( I normally keep a regular clean air cut thing, but I get lazy and it grows a wee bit long sometimes. )

Q2. - Do Mormons always wear suites or slacks versus jeans and t-shirts?
( I own plenty of suites but I am a true blue jeans and t-shirt kind of guy. )

Q3/A. - If I wanted to get more involved, where would I be directed to?
( I am in my mid 40’s and in not the best physical shape. Ok, I am a wee bit over weight. I don’t think I could do the walking or bike riding I see others do. )
Q3/B. - Would my wife and daughter have to be apart of anything I do if I got involved with the LDS?
( My wife and young daughter are not interested in becoming Mormon nor seem to be all that comfortable with my association with Mormons.)

Q4. - I have been baptized and rededicated in my current church, but would I have to get baptized again if I got more involved?

Here what all this comes down to. I am not happy with my life or my journey. I feel like I am not going where I want to go or find what I am looking for. Faith, Family, Friends are thee most important parts of life to me. It’s where I want to dedicate my life and grow and grow more in. I am not finding alot of that in my current situation. I like my Mormon friends. How their family life seems so closer and loving compared to mine. Where their hearts are dedicated to in their faith and way of living. How strong they seem to be in standing for what they believe in. Not crazy about the suit and tie thing or the name tags or the riding bike or all that walking, but over all, I am kind of jealous of my Mormon friends. Funny, not that way with my church friends. I just feel unhappy and unfulfilled and want more, but more based in the good stuff life has. The faith, family, friends thing. So not saying I am going to get more involved, but wanted to know more. Sorry if these questions are stupid or should not be asked here. Gotta go... I just found donuts in my cupboard...ye baby. Oh ye, and thanks for letting me post on this site even though I’m not a Mormon. So cool.

You can wear whatever you want, only missionaries have to wear suits and nametags. They serve two years on their missions. The usual attire for church are slacks, dress shirt and tie. Some men wear suits, but you won't be turned away for wearing say, jeans and no tie, wear what you want.

Your wife and daughter don't have to participate at all. But they might enjoy going to ward parties etc.

Also, you will have home teachers monthly if you want them, your wife and daughter don't have to be there for them but will probably want to, the home teachers just share a message from the first presidency and visit and make sure your family's doing well.

You would need to be rebaptized

Wear whatever hairstyle and facial hair you want, unless you work in the temple, no facial hair.

For Sumday meetings most men wear slacks and a sport coat, or suit. White shirt and ties are traditional. None of these are required, but you may feel most comfortable in them.

Goodwill (or,Deseret industries) usually has white dress shirts available for a few bucks. I've found sport coats there too.

I have a soul patch.

Edited by KevinG

Hello Lostone...

Questions such as yours are not "stupid," particularly when sincerely asked... Others have pretty well answered... the missionaries are the only ones who wear the suits and name tags and ride bikes... as Tacenda said, the missionaries are special in that that is their purpose for a two-year period, i.e., to do nothing else but spread the gospel (teach the doctrines of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints... Mormons).  After they complete their missions they return to their regular life as students or  working, etc. 

The Church has modesty standards that include clothing that is not too short, tight, or revealing for the women, and neat and simple (shirts, trousers, bermuda shorts, etc) for the men.  Women normally wear dresses or skirts to Church on Sunday... men can wear suits, or slacxs and shirt, tie or no tie (but most men wear a tie).

We frown on tatoos and body piercings (women wear one pair of pierced earrings).

Facial hair is acceptable if it is not "weird."

We believe that the family is central to God's Plan of Happiness for His children, and that families can be together for the eternities.

Your wife and daughter do not have to participate.... but if you do become more active in attending your local ward, they may notice a positive change in your attitude and behavior and possibly want to attend with you.  We have some really fun activities that they might enjoy.   

I really do hope you will attend your local ward (congregation/meeting house).  I know the missionaries would be delighted to sit with you so you don't feel uncomfortable or alone. 

EDIT TO ADD... Our Sunday services are a 3-hour block of time... but you do not have to attend the full 3 hours.

1st hour is Sacrament meeting where we partake of the sacrament (bread and water symbolizng the body and blood of Christ). 

2nd hour is Sunday School where we break up into classes... new members or investigators attend the Gospel Essentials class where basic LDS doctrines are discussed (as opposed to Gospel Doctrine class where lessons are general and taken from the Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, or Pearl of Great Price (the "standard works").

3rd hour is Priesthood for the men, or Relief Society for the women.

Good Luck...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

I know I should be asking someone from the missionary or local meeting house these questions, but right now, I am asking here. I hope that is not a problem and forgive me if these are stupid questions. I probably was already given these answers but forgot. Oh and [ http://www.mormon.org/faq/topic/culture/question/mormon-lifestyle ] does not address these things.

( I have a beard and rather not shave it if I should become more involved with LDS / Mormon things. )

Q1/B. - Hair cuts?

( I normally keep a regular clean air cut thing, but I get lazy and it grows a wee bit long sometimes. )

Q2. -

( I am in my mid 40’s and in not the best physical shape. Ok, I am a wee bit over weight. I don’t think I could do the walking or bike riding I see others do. )

Q3/B. - Would my wife and daughter have to be apart of anything I do if I got involved with the LDS?

( My wife and young daughter are not interested in becoming Mormon nor seem to be all that comfortable with my association with Mormons.)

Q4. - I have been baptized and rededicated in my current church, but would I have to get baptized again if I got more involved?

Here what all this comes down to. I am not happy with my life or my journey. I feel like I am not going where I want to go or find what I am looking for. Faith, Family, Friends are thee most important parts of life to me. It’s where I want to dedicate my life and grow and grow more in. I am not finding alot of that in my current situation. I like my Mormon friends. How their family life seems so closer and loving compared to mine. Where their hearts are dedicated to in their faith and way of living. How strong they seem to be in standing for what they believe in. Not crazy about the suit and tie thing or the name tags or the riding bike or all that walking, but over all, I am kind of jealous of my Mormon friends. Funny, not that way with my church friends. I just feel unhappy and unfulfilled and want more, but more based in the good stuff life has. The faith, family, friends thing. So not saying I am going to get more involved, but wanted to know more. Sorry if these questions are stupid or should not be asked here. Gotta go... I just found donuts in my cupboard...ye baby. Oh ye, and thanks for letting me post on this site even though I’m not a Mormon. So cool.

Only the men. ;) I've had a bushy moustache for longer than I've been a member.

Wear your hair any way you want to.

Our buildings tend to be air conditioned. So you'll be more comfortable covered up. We don't have a dress code. As long as they are modest, neat, and clean wear whatever you want.

There is no physical activity level required at Church. We have rugrats that never seem to slow down to senior citizens like me to watch them. :)

No. Though they may find experiences with Church members enjoyable. It is not required.

No. Baptism isn't required for involvement. Baptism/Rebaptism is required for membership.

Come learn of our doctrine. Study, ponder, and pray. Let the Lord direct you to your best place.

Mormonism has (to various degrees) a sigma to men having facial hair. I believe this began after the end of our polygamous, rebel period when we began an assimilating into the mainstream and getting rid of beards was a part of that (someone else here should take it upon themselves to find an article about this), but I'm not quite sure. Plenty of men in my home ward have beards and such. It's only temple workers, official missionaries, and BYU students that are required to shave.

Q1/B. - Hair cuts?

The general counsel people get is to not have "distracting hairstyles". This is probably more of a problem with teens/young adults.

We are a formal church, but you should wear what makes to the most comfortable. I guess it matters too how comfortable you are being yourself.

While activities are things are announced over the pulpit, I think knowing what there is to get involved in comes from being in the smaller groups (Sunday School and the Men's/Women's Group). I would grow comfortable in the 3rd block men's group and start talking to people there (especially the leader of the group "Elder's Quorum President") to learn about ministering opportunities.  

Nope, you can participate by yourself.

Mormonism claims the restoration of priesthood authority, so to become an official member, you'd have to be baptized again. We set aside a night usually and have a small service (people give talk and sing out of the hymn book) then do the baptism. I they will want to to have gone through the prepared lessons our young missionaries all teach as well.

Baptism would make you eligible for "callings" (teaching, being on committees, higher leadership, working in the nursery, ect.), but I think those levels of participate are too high for you right now. You just have to stick around the ward to learn about opportunities to help people through service, volunteer to help out with events, ect.

I don't think your questions are stupid, and I'm glad you brought them here.

... and I would add for historical or doctrinal questions, you'd get more in dept answers here than a meeting house (unless you found someone really well-read) as many here make those things their hobbie.

Quote: We frown on tatoos and body piercings 

But if you already have them then come anyway. It's not like you can just wipe off a tattoo. We have a number of people who had them before joining the church or made the choice to have them despite the counsel to avoid them.

Quote: We frown on tatoos and body piercings 

But if you already have them then come anyway. It's not like you can just wipe off a tattoo. We have a number of people who had them before joining the church or made the choice to have them despite the counsel to avoid them.

A women named Al Fox is a good example. Her blog hit the news a couple years ago.

Al Fox: The Tattooed Mormon

Her Blog: In the Head of Al

A women named Al Fox is a good example. Her blog hit the news a couple years ago.

Al Fox: The Tattooed Mormon

Her Blog: In the Head of Al

Thank you Ham Clam... I was just thinking I should have added that people who already have tattoos are fine... and those that have piercings usually remove them.. it's just that we counsel against getting new tattoos or piercings.

Also see Rain's post #7 above...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Q1/B. - Hair cuts?

Cultural stigma dating back to President McKay in the 1950's/1960's as the clean cut alternative to the counter-culture movement.  It still rears its head in church but I have a goatee, lot's of members have facial hair or unique hairstyles.  Prior to Pres. McKay's administration beards were actually the norm...

Sunday dress is Sunday dress.  When attending Church or religious functions suits/slacks are indicated (as well as white shirt/tie).  However, this only applies to situations of reverence, not to social situation.  It's a sign of respect to God.

If you wanted to get involved in the Church you would be first directed to meet with the missionaries, and then invited to participate in both our worship services and our social/service activities.

No individual is ever forced to be a part  of the Church, regardless of a family members status.  However, as you indicate, part-member families have many challenges.

If you choose to join the Mormon Church you would have to be baptized again.  However, you can investigate, talk to missionaries, attend meetings without being baptized until you are ready.

Thank you Ham Clam... I was just thinking I should have added that people who already have tattoos are fine... and those that have piercings usually remove them.. it's just that we counsel against getting new tattoos or piercings.

Also see Rain's post #7 above...

GG

In an interview, I believe Al Fox said that she got one of her tattoos touched up before her baptism ... and the tattoo artist was a member. :rofl:  

My RS president's husband has a long whitish beard and hair, I've heard recently the church asked him to keep them long for upcoming church movies/videos. I guess because he looks like some of the early prophets or apostles, maybe even Orson Pratt!

It looks like a pain to wear them so long, and before I knew about the church wanting him to keep the style up, I thought he was somewhat a rebel.

My RS president's husband has a long whitish beard and hair, I've heard recently the church asked him to keep them long for upcoming church movies/videos. I guess because he looks like some of the early prophets or apostles, maybe even Orson Pratt!

It looks like a pain to wear them so long, and before I knew about the church wanting him to keep the style up, I thought he was somewhat a rebel.

An older guy in my ward used to wear a mohawk. I don't know what his "thing" was, although in fact he was a very independent person and prone to resist any form of direction he didn't consent to explicitly. They still found a calling for him. He and his wife were the ward librarians for a few years at one point. They've since moved and I have no idea where, but I suspect that wherever he is, he still has that mohawk going on.

If a non-member is consistent enough in attending, it is quite possible that the Bishop could find a calling for him or her. One of our sisters has a husband who is effectively a "dry Mormon", meaning he's always there, but hasn't ever joined the Church. He has occasionally held a calling. Although most callings require membership, there are some which could be filled by a non-member. I've seen non-members used in Scouting positions, for example.

Thank you everyone for such informative responses to my questions. Gave me huge comforts and insights. I do not have any body piercing or tattoos.

** Leviticus 19: 28 “‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord. ( NIV ) **

Oh and my wife will not go to any LSD / Mormon related events or situations. It’s not that she hates anyone, she just disagrees and feels she has the right to show that by not getting involved in what she disagrees with. So if I do get more involved, it looks like I am on my own. Ugh... That is always a hard road to travel on.

Thank you everyone for such informative responses to my questions. Gave me huge comforts and insights. I do not have any body piercing or tattoos.

** Leviticus 19: 28 “‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord. ( NIV ) **

Oh and my wife will not go to any LSD / Mormon related events or situations. It’s not that she hates anyone, she just disagrees and feels she has the right to show that by not getting involved in what she disagrees with. So if I do get more involved, it looks like I am on my own. Ugh... That is always a hard road to travel on.

Hello Lostone...

I know too many people who have had spouses start out just like your wife...but in time the spouses observed some real positive changes in their husband/wife's attitude and happiness level.  Sometimes this resulted in the spouse softening and starting to attend... some went on to join the Church. some did not.  If you do start to become more involved, I suggest you go ahead and attend but don't push your wife... just be positive and cheerful.  Let her see you reading your scriptures and lesson manuals.  Ask her to join you in prayer, and then kneel together.

I guess I'm saying don't dismiss the positive effects the Church can have... you never know...

GG