Can Mormons Join College Fraternities?

Not a problem at all. I am a fraternity Alum, and even visited our ritual a few times.

If you don't find the principles and teachings in opposition to the Church there is no problem.

The bonus is you will make a great designated driver at parties.

Not a problem.  To be a LDS is to be a disciple of Christ.  As you grow in the gospel you may find that your interest in some organizations increases and others decrease.  You choose to belong to those organizations of most interest.  Does that make sense?

Here are some insignificant thoughts I had once, with respect to membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints vis-a-vis participation in Greek orgs.

https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/greek-orgs-opportunities-for-service-and-fellowship-or-excuses-to-party/

Even if you once "partied heartily" as a member of a fraternity, that's what repentance is for. :D  As I note in my commentary, "Partying is as partying does."  As a (prospective) member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, if the fraternity in which you are involved should need to be steered in a more positive, productive, constructive direction, perhaps you can play a role in that.

I wish you well. :)

I'm in college, and I've found that fraternity/sororities are much different than the stereotype I had of them. :P

Besides maybe some social drinking, I see nothing that contradicts being a member of the LDS Church.

I beleive their were/are some special Mormon Greek organizations too.

Not a problem at all. I am a fraternity Alum, and even visited our ritual a few times.

If you don't find the principles and teachings in opposition to the Church there is no problem.

The bonus is you will make a great designated driver at parties.

Yes, I remember that! In my high school fraternity (technically, none of us was old enough to drink legally -- in Canada at the time the drinking age was 18, I think), at the end of our parties I was the only one left who was not at least a little buzzed -- I was also the only member of our band who could still play his guitar normally.

Fortunately we didn't party like that very often. Only one of our frat bros parents would permit it -- the ones from South Africa.

Huh, in the initiation ceremony after Hell Night, they let me drink grape juice instead of wine. They complained about it, but whatever.

"Ah, those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end: we'd sing and dance forever and a day!"

There are sororities/frats... and then there are sororities/frats... many have a "service" or other such orientation vs the "party" image or emphasis.   When you become a member of the Church and take upon yourself the standards of the Church, you will find yourself drawn more to those types of activities because your spirit will be uncomfortable in the party atmosphere... sort of difficult to take upon yourself the name of Christ and covenant to keep the commandments and then go out and party hearty...  

Next time you're in Church, listen carefully to the sacrament prayers... ponder them... when you take the sacrament you renew covenants.

There is no reason whatsoever to give up "fun" or having a good time just because you become a member of the Church... it's just that the type of fun activities will probably be somewhat different... sometimes a great deal different....

GG

I'm glad to hear this. I am involved as an older member in administrative functions advising the college chapters, so there's not much partying amongst us older brothers. When I was an undergraduate, there was a good deal of drinking and partying, but we had several members who were not drinkers for one reason or another. There is also nothing in the rituals or secrets that I would find conflicting with Christian faith, although I know some Greek organizations have rituals that are quite pagan.

I'm in college, and I've found that fraternity/sororities are much different than the stereotype I had of them. :P

Besides maybe some social drinking, I see nothing that contradicts being a member of the LDS Church.

I beleive their were/are some special Mormon Greek organizations too.

I think where one goes to school likely makes a pretty big difference.  My $0.02. :)