Seriously No Politics ×

Lds Charitable Service And Opportunities

rockpond

I thought it might be fun to keep a running list of services and outreach that are being done by LDS Charities or members (stakes, wards, youth groups, RS, quorums, etc) working on their own.  I think all too often we, as church members, are not aware of what happens.  So maybe people here will feel inclined to post links whenever they happen to come across them so that we can all read and be edified (and keep a history).

I'll start...

Wheelchairs delivered in Bangalore, India

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven."

Just saying........

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven."

Just saying........

good point, so do you or anyone have any ideas on how we can continue this thread not making a boast or keeping a record but to genuinely further helping people in need in the name of Christ?  

Just saying........

good point, so do you or anyone have any ideas on how we can continue this thread not making a boast or keeping a record but to genuinely further helping people in need in the name of Christ?  

Hmmmm... I didn't think of it that way.  I just thought it would be fun to post articles so everyone could read about what the church was doing.  But if that seems like putting our alms before men, we can shut it down right now.

Our stake is just now beginning to engage with that site. Very excited to see how that develops.

I'm so glad that you didn't have to wait long!

I was thinking we would be getting to phase 3 *(taking the idea to the community so they can be involved too) soon, but I think things are going a little longer than expected. But it is exciting to still see lots of projects coming in from phase 1 (finding the projects).

It was fun presenting in my own ward (phase 2) when one of the Laurel moms came up to me afterwards. Her daughter had been looking for a project for 6 months. In the few minutes during the class she had found one!

* Since it is a pilot here the phases may not match up with how it is set up elsewhere.

Edited by Rain

Actually, far from boasting, it is the responsible thing to do for the Church to openly and officially declare what has been done with tithing and humanitarian contributions by the members.  Members need to be informed of what is being done in their name and in the name of christ.  We often hear the opposite, that the Brethren misuse funds and fail to allocate funds to truly needy cases.  I have made my overall assessment, based on official Church reports:  “LDS Church Welfare Expenditures,” 2012, online at http://www.scribd.com/doc/107498713/LDS-Church-Welfare-Expenditures . A fair appraisal provides a view of an astonishing level of true Christian care and action.  President Monson does not simply publicly praise Mother Teresa, he goes and does likewise.

It is always heartening to know that rather than just "talk the talk," the LDS Church also "walks the walk."

Actually, far from boasting, it is the responsible thing to do for the Church to openly and officially declare what has been done with tithing and humanitarian contributions by the members.  Members need to be informed of what is being done in their name and in the name of christ.  We often hear the opposite, that the Brethren misuse funds and fail to allocate funds to truly needy cases.  I have made my overall assessment, based on official Church reports:  “LDS Church Welfare Expenditures,” 2012, online at http://www.scribd.com/doc/107498713/LDS-Church-Welfare-Expenditures . A fair appraisal provides a view of an astonishing level of true Christian care and action.  President Monson does not simply publicly praise Mother Teresa, he goes and does likewise.

It is always heartening to know that rather than just "talk the talk," the LDS Church also "walks the walk."

Is this published anywhere, Robert? I would not be surprised if FM would like to have it on its site and if okay with you, would like to suggest that to the Powers That Be.

Thanks for sharing the links so far.  Love 'em.  And thanks to whoever "pinned" this thread.

Let's keep it up... any acts of service from wards, stakes, quorums, classes, LDS eagle scouts, and church in general... let's post them here for the purpose of knowing what's happening and getting inspired!

Is this published anywhere, Robert? I would not be surprised if FM would like to have it on its site and if okay with you, would like to suggest that to the Powers That Be.

No, unless scribd.com is considered "published."  So go ahead and mention it to FM.  I'll even put it into their Dropbox, even though it is now out of date.

Thanks for sharing the links so far. Love 'em. And thanks to whoever "pinned" this thread.

Let's keep it up... any acts of service from wards, stakes, quorums, classes, LDS eagle scouts, and church in general... let's post them here for the purpose of knowing what's happening and getting inspired!

We have a TON of citrus trees here - we have 2 grapefruit and an orange and we know people who have 5 or even 10 orange. Last week the YW, priests and teachers and HP got together and picked fruit to go to food banks. They had a sign up at church saying if you had trees you wanted picked for it then sign up. It ends up being a double service because if you don't pick everything yo can get roof rats. The elderly generation really appreciated the group coming.

This is actually a somewhat common thing here, but it could be done in other places as well with apples, peaches etc. It wouldn't be as easy because of the amount of trees compared to the people wanting to can or freeze them, but I know trees go unpicked.

We have a TON of citrus trees here - we have 2 grapefruit and an orange and we know people who have 5 or even 10 orange. Last week the YW, priests and teachers and HP got together and picked fruit to go to food banks. They had a sign up at church saying if you had trees you wanted picked for it then sign up. It ends up being a double service because if you don't pick everything yo can get roof rats. The elderly generation really appreciated the group coming.

This is actually a somewhat common thing here, but it could be done in other places as well with apples, peaches etc. It wouldn't be as easy because of the amount of trees compared to the people wanting to can or freeze them, but I know trees go unpicked.

Such a great idea!  I assume you are somewhere in the southeast U.S.