Seriously No Politics ×

Thanks To All For Your Prayers And Concerns For My Family

Calm

Dad got taken into the ICU today due to severe dehydration and complicating factors and they don't know yet.  Family was already coming in tomorrow to visit for Christmas.  Some really need to be here to say goodbye…he may turn around, we got one of those "if he make it thourgh the next 24 hours, much more hope….the problem is Mom is wasted and in no fit state to go right now to stay with him, she will end up in the bed next to him is so.  If she can sleep tonight, it will be hard but I think the trauma will be much less physical for her….she was taking care of him all by herslef from midnight to noon and trying hard to keep him home because he hates hospitials so much.  But he was too sick and within a half an hour of us showing up he was in the ER and then in ICR.

Names are Hal and Joanne, they are such good people but haven't had a good time growing old.  I would so like them to be at least able to have a sweet goodby with family around for Mom to hold on to.  

They were born the same year in the same hospital and have been married over 60 years.  Not perfect parents, but the best….

Thank you, Cal

Edited by calmoriah

He is 84 so it has to happen sometime in the next 6 years or so most likely (his family many have lived until 85-90).  Since he suffers from the same progressive movement disorder that I do and I know there are no miracle drugs on the horizon…probably nothing very significant for at least 10 more years plus he has some other issues that are combining to make life a rather unpleasant rollarcoaster because he is still very capable in what he can do (he has been building us furniture for example and planned to continue with a wood working shop at the Senior Center)….

Anyway, the level of torment he is going through with that on an almost daily rate and the fact he just depends on the meds instead changing his lifestyle (I was hoping the move to assisted living would slow him down a bit since he would be a bit more dependent on others' schedules….no go so far)…I am not crushed that it may be happening now, just in shock when I get a chance to think about it….a few of us have said "he wouldn't mind this"….something quick. His dad had a very prolonged and difficult death, but then they didn't realize the movement disorder was something significant and all the drugs they gave him to help calm him down actually made things worse…I look back on him and just feel so bad for the guy and don't want anything close to that with my dad, I know at least he can be comfortable if the doctors aren't too conversative.  But he would go emotionally bonkers and hate life if he had to remain bedbound more than an afternoon or day at a time.

For the rest of the family though, no one is prepared really, just like when two months ago he made the decision to move into assisted living in two days nearby from a fiercely independent out in the boonies half a day from any family getting to them in an emergency location and it left us with our jaw dropping wondering who said what and finding no one really had…he just got one of his inspirations and acted on it, he has always been very good at surprising us and having us scramble to keep up with him.  This time a little more looking back to make sure we've caught up with him would be very much appreciated.  :)  They told us 25 years ago he wouldn't last 10 years without his pituituary gland so it really is a miracle he is with us and that isn't the only one, he has always been able to count on a miracle for some reason…one last small one for the family would be wonderful…no calls so it looks like he has stablized at least.  Back to sleep hopefully for a few more hours.

It is nice to kind of purge a bit of the worry by posting it here knowing it is a burden on no one, anyone else I talked to in the middle of the night…might be a problem for them.  :)

I'm so sorry, Cal... I know what it was like when I lost my mom so suddenly... but that was exactly as she wanted it.  One day she was busy and active (although wearing a pace maker)... the next she was gone from a massive heart attack.  It was an answer to her prayers.

Prayers going forward for you and your family...

GG

Oh wow, didn't know that about your dad Cal. The workshop at the Assisted Living Center really is telling about your dad. He may have done things a little skillywompus in his life but he sounds like he atleast lives to the fullest when he can. It's a good thing they moved out of the boonies sounds like. I hope he can recover quickly and enjoy the holidays with your family!!

Thank you all again.  He stabilized nicely in the night, so I feel confident people will get here in time if anything happens.  It still could go either way and they still don't know what is wrong…no baterial infection so looking to viral.

Spent two hours on the phone today, family (including cousins and not quite long lost relatives) is coming out of the woodwork which feels very nice to share the emotions with everyone.  He has been loved by a lot of people but hasn't been able to visit too often lately. Hopefully he will gain conciousness to be aware of them, cause that will mean a lot to him.

Off to Mom's.  It is so wonderful to know you all are thinking of me and sending prayers to help.  

keep praying please, I got sick with something myself but I got people in town together before I went down so it is an honourable withdrawal  Over the worse…for awhile there I was wondering if ebola had somehow snuck into utah

It feels so good to know I have lots of prayers out there, especially since God might be a bit ticked off at me right now.  I did not pull a Job or gracious martyr at all…more the curse God and die routine.  Not quite the first time, but probably the most vigourous and explicit performance I've ever given of the person not enduring to the end...

Edited by calmoriah

All i know, Tac, is I am going to have some huge questions when I finally get there, but only a true God could create ice water so I know he still exists.  ;)

Edited by calmoriah

You're Your family will be in my prayers, Cal.

Edit to fix typo. Hopefully there are no typos in my prayer.

God hears 'em anyway. :)

keep praying please, I got sick with something myself but I got people in town together before I went down so it is an honourable withdrawal  Over the worse…for awhile there I was wondering if ebola had somehow snuck into utah

It feels so good to know I have lots of prayers out there, especially since God might be a bit ticked off at me right now.  I did not pull a Job or gracious martyr at all…more the curse God and die routine.  Not quite the first time, but probably the most vigourous and explicit performance I've ever given of the person not enduring to the end...

The end of life scenes of a loved one are hard on everyone. Heavenly Father knows and loves you well. He is there to support you in your hours of greatest need, even when it seems you are on our own.

Oddly, our humanity is what causes us to react as Saints and sinners. It is our passion, our ability be a Martyr or to "rage against the dying of the light"...that endears us to our Father in Heaven. There is no correct way to worry or grieve...God cannot spare us from loss or disappointments or sickness he can only show us the way though such times. My prayers continue for you.

Prayers going up.

I can relate a lot to the sentiments relayed above. Don't beat up yourself up about it. Sending you hugs.

Prayers worked a minor miracle for me.  I feel no more tired now than just doing a usual errand run the next day, so thank you all so much.  Now that it is all over, my family is cracking up over some of things I said (it was as if my brain went into total free association, wasn't hallucinating, but wasn't anchored anywhere for sure) and I have a feeling I may be hearing about it for sometime.

We have a family meeting with the doctor at 4.  My oldest brother is sitting with him right now and his report is it looks like this is it, but he's rallied a few times and you never know with Dad.  Mom said she wouldn't be shocked if he popped out of the bed the next day wanting to know who called so he could get back into his 'wheeling and dealing' (changing phone plans and credit cards and other stuff to get the best deal is one of the things he does to distract himself from the restless legs just as I post on the board all the time).

My brother is shocked that even as sedated as Dad is, his legs are still moving….my siblings are so clueless about what awaits them in 10 years or so, they all have it but thankfully only I got it early…but hopefully by then the drugs will be less side effecty and work better and maybe even have a cure.  I am so glad Dad is unconscious as if he was even slightly aware his legs would likely be bugging him big time…though the pain meds might take care of it enough.  He has fallen at another hospital when getting out of bed without waiting for help because of needing to move NOW.

Edited by calmoriah