Seriously No Politics ×

Going To Get My Bom Sunday

poptart

Going to get my BOM this Sunday at Sacrement.  I've been through online copies of it before and my mom probably acquired a few of her values from BYUH so i'm kinda curious what to expect.  The people i've met so far have said I act fairly LDS so far since I live a pretty clean life and that I should see a lot of things that  already mesh with my current lifestyle.  They say that with the way things are I'm quite spotless as far as US standards go.  

Going to get my BOM this Sunday at Sacrement.  I've been through online copies of it before and my mom probably acquired a few of her values from BYUH so i'm kinda curious what to expect.  The people i've met so far have said I act fairly LDS so far since I live a pretty clean life and that I should see a lot of things that  already mesh with my current lifestyle.  They say that with the way things are I'm quite spotless as far as US standards go.  

That's so great, despite my faith struggles, I've always felt there is such a safeness in living the LDS lifestyle and living in a Ward Family.  Especially when you've no real family to call your own, not saying that's your situation.  I just know that if everyone is doing as they should that members should never fall through the cracks as far as needs go.  And I do love the limits that the church provides such as no drinking alcohol etc.  But that's up to the individual, they won't kick anyone out for that.  I'm especially grateful for the WoW that encourages a clean lifestyle or that of abstaining from drugs or alcohol and from abstaining from sex outside of marriage. 

I just got off the phone with my alcoholic brother who wasn't all there, because of discussing my aunt's passing recently and so wish he'd not chosen that lifestyle.  I very well could have gone down that road if it hadn't been for some life changes and many prayers given on my behalf from my sweet Mom, who like Garden Girl's Mom, wore her knees out praying for me.  I did have a spell of inactivity right around 12th grade on up until being called to teach primary with another single gal and then meeting my returned missionary husband.

Best of luck poptart!! 

No ones perfect, and you're spot on, I have no family and this time of year is when my mental health just goes down the drain and im at a huuge risk. Was comforted to learn suicides go to a heaven. Didn't Brigham Young mention that suicides get something that isnt as glorious as what the married faithful get but it still blows this world away?

All the glories are suppose to be magnificent (the only non glory kingdom is outer darkness and that is only for those who reject God to the point they would choose to crucify Christ even knowing fully who he was).

Speculation:

However those are only the destination after Judgment. Before we go through a process of learning and purification and for those who reject God's gift of the Atonement and do not repent of their sins and especially IMO the harm they've caused others, a period of suffering. Some see this as punishment to meet the demands of Justice; I see it as necessary for us to all understand the consequences of our choices (in order for us to make our final choice of what kind of eternal life we want to live and be a part of) and that includes suffering the pain and turmoil we put others through unless we sincerely desire their forgiveness (and then we learn what they experienced not by experiencing it ourselves in some way, but in communication of spirit to spirit, mind to mind....whatever being one means).

All the glories are suppose to be magnificent (the only non glory kingdom is outer darkness and that is only for those who reject God to the point they would choose to crucify Christ even knowing fully who he was).

Speculation:

However those are only the destination after Judgment. Before we go through a process of learning and purification and for those who reject God's gift of the Atonement and do not repent of their sins and especially IMO the harm they've caused others, a period of suffering. Some see this as punishment to meet the demands of Justice; I see it as necessary for us to all understand the consequences of our choices (in order for us to make our final choice of what kind of eternal life we want to live and be a part of) and that includes suffering the pain and turmoil we put others through unless we sincerely desire their forgiveness (and then we learn what they experienced not by experiencing it ourselves in some way, but in communication of spirit to spirit, mind to mind....whatever being one means).

It's still better than what everyone else believes, suicides just fry,  The idea of being someplace thats peaceful, scerene and quiet forever has a nice ring to it should my mental problems win out in the end. 

No ones perfect, and you're spot on, I have no family and this time of year is when my mental health just goes down the drain and im at a huuge risk. Was comforted to learn suicides go to a heaven. Didn't Brigham Young mention that suicides get something that isnt as glorious as what the married faithful get but it still blows this world away?

Well, even Adolf Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, and Mao Tse Tung inherit THAT glory. It might be more glorious that I can imagine, but quite frankly I don't want any part of it. In any case, I am sure that Father would prefer you and I and everyone else be worthy of a still greater glory.

Well, even Adolf Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, and Mao Tse Tung inherit THAT glory. It might be more glorious that I can imagine, but quite frankly I don't want any part of it. In any case, I am sure that Father would prefer you and I and everyone else be worthy of a still greater glory.

What about Vlade Tepes (aka Dracula)?  He was a butcher, but man after having him and his brother given to the Sultan as captives, his brother turn Muslim and Vlad getting beaten and raped as a kid, not to mention his father murdered and the nobles sell everyone out would turn a lot of us totally insane.  Have to give the man credit, his country had low crime lol.  Always had this facination with him. 

Honestly I'll take what I can get.  My idea of paradise was something along the lines of living in the Elysium fields, eternal peace and quiet, sunny days, nothing vile, gentle winds and good sunny weather.  I can't stand racket.

I read the BofM many times.   And I can tell you that the day I read it straight through in 22 hours (with a group of teenagers) it was like a whole new story.    And when I read the doubleday version (that doesn't have chapters and verses like the more traditional edition) but reads like a regular book, it was another new experience.

I read the BofM many times.   And I can tell you that the day I read it straight through in 22 hours (with a group of teenagers) it was like a whole new story.    And when I read the doubleday version (that doesn't have chapters and verses like the more traditional edition) but reads like a regular book, it was another new experience.

Hey, that sounds like a cool idea! What kind of "new experience" was it? How would you describe it as different?

OK, got my copy.  The paintings are pretty, but I have one question, someone mind telling me how the jews got their hands on lorcica segmentata

armor, recurve bows and what looks like a combination of middle eastern and roman gear?  It's the pic right before they show Jesus. 

Edited by poptart

Don't fret.  The pictures are one artist's (not-necessarily-totally-accurate) depiction of the story.  They, themselves, are neither scripture nor doctrine. ;)

Don't fret.  The pictures are one artist's (not-necessarily-totally-accurate) depiction of the story.  They, themselves, are neither scripture nor doctrine. ;)

Was wondering, ok then  that makes sense.  If they can make art that shows people from the bible in plate armor (in classical church paintings)  then I can accept jews in mesoamerica wearing roman gear. 

The artist, Arnold Friberg, had a very romantic streak in him (in the old sense of the word) as well as a thing for muscles and drama and exotic animals. Fun pictures that kept many a kid occupied for hours through slow meetings. The style pretty much dominated a lot of church art while I was growing up but I prefer Minerva Teichert and others' work.

Friberg is the only American made an honourary member of the RMCP:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Friberg

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minerva_Teichert

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1989/04/minerva-kohlhepp-teichert-with-a-bold-brush

Favourite LDS artist is James Christensen, but he does a variety of topics including fantasy.

I don't know if he has done BoM art, but some NT stories.

He has done one at least after all...I am a bit behind in his work it seems:

http://www.ldsart.com/p-31399-desirable-above-all-other-fruit.aspx

Edited by calmoriah

The artist, Arnold Friberg, had a very romantic streak in him (in the old sense of the word) as well as a thing for muscles and drama and exotic animals. Fun pictures that kept many a kid occupied for hours through slow meetings. The style pretty much dominated a lot of church art while I was growing up but I prefer Minerva Teichert and others' work.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Friberg

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minerva_Teichert

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1989/04/minerva-kohlhepp-teichert-with-a-bold-brush

Favourite LDS artist is James Christensen, but he does a variety of topics including fantasy.

I don't know if he has done BoM art, but some NT stories.

He has done one at least after all...I am a bit behind in his work it seems:

http://www.ldsart.com/p-31399-desirable-above-all-other-fruit.aspx

Ohhhh RCMP!!  Their tunics are sooo fabulous.  Best dressed police ever. 

Yeah, was noticing the paintings are really on the masculine side.  The LDS church ever consider making stuff that's well, more graceful and feminine? 

So there I was, wondering what on earth the RMCP was.  Some kind of important artists' association I had never heard of. 

But poptart cleared it up for me: RCMP.  Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Sorry, they elimated all the colours in order to keep costs down...no mid range leather either.

However, you can order covers or carriers in tons of different designs and colours.

Do a search on scripture covers and Mormon and that should bring up a number of online options.

Sorry, they elimated all the colours in order to keep costs down...no mid range leather either.

However, you can order covers or carriers in tons of different designs and colours.

Do a search on scripture covers and Mormon and that should bring up a number of online options.

Ohh they have anything really cute?  The more feminine and graceful the better!