Seriously No Politics ×

Why Science Doesnt Disprove God

Stargazer

I saw this book at Barnes and Noble recently, and could not resist picking it up. I then got it as an audio book. I have not yet "read" the book, in the sense that I had my eyes crawl over the text in a printed book or ebook, but in the audio book form I am just now starting on my third "read".

Why Science Doesn't Disprove God

No kidding this book is fantastic! I cannot recommend it enough.

In a particular video entitled God and Mr. Hitchens, Dr. D C Peterson covered a lot of the non-scientific points that Hitchens got wrong (and I truly wish Dr. Peterson would produce a book on the subject, but I digress...), while Dr. Amir D. Aczel has covered here the quantum mechanics part of what Hitchens (and for that matter a few other militant atheists) have misused science for.

Dr. Aczel is not some amateur scientist. A look at his author page on Amazon will demonstrate this definitively.

From the notes on the dust jacket:

The renowned science writer, mathematician, and bestselling author of Fermat's Last Theorem masterfully refutes the overreaching claims of the "New Atheists", providing millions of educated believers with a clear, engaging explanation of what science really says, how there's still much space for the Divine in the universe, and why faith in both God and empirical science are not mutually exclusive.

In recent years a highly publicized coterie of scientists and thinkers, including Richard Dawkins, the late Christopher Hitchens, and Lawrence Krauss, have vehemently contended that breakthroughs in modern science have disproven the existence of God, asserting we must accept that the creation of the universe fully explains the dazzling complexity of life, and more.  However, in this much-need book, veteran science journalist Amir Aczel profoundly disagrees and convincingly demonstrates that science has not, as yet, provided any definitive proof refuting the existence of God.

Science can't prove or disprove God. What it can do is disprove some mortals' claim about how God did or didn't do it.

Well, of course.  Some people however believe that science can do this thing.  Some people have attempted to claim that science has done this.  The book debunks it.

I'm curious to know if there are quotes from these scientists that actually say that science has disproven God.  I don't doubt that they are atheists and feel that religion has been an obstacle to scientific progress and that science can disprove certain religious claims, but is there a reference where they actually state that science has disproven the existence of God?

I'm curious to know if there are quotes from these scientists that actually say that science has disproven God.  I don't doubt that they are atheists and feel that religion has been an obstacle to scientific progress and that science can disprove certain religious claims, but is there a reference where they actually state that science has disproven the existence of God?

The author quotes and cites Dawkins, Hitchens and Krauss extensively, as well as others.  I am unsure about Krauss, but D & H, not being physicists themselves, have interpreted some experimental outcomes as proof for the nonexistence of God.

If anyone remembers the now-banned 44Foxtrot, I would dearly love to send him a copy of this book for Christmas.  I have no idea how to contact him.

• 2 weeks later...

Science and religion are probably making out behind the bleachers; it is just some of their supporters who act like they can't be in the same room together without a fist fight breaking out.

I nearly fell off my chair laughing at that one!

Thank you for that delightful image.

Bill Nye has been stirring the pot again recently iirc.  But for me it's simply no evidence for is not evidence against. So if an athiest wants to argue that the heavens do not indeed declare the glory of God, that's fine. If true, it does nothing to preclude God nor does it promote a "God of the gaps" argument.

Archived