Seriously No Politics ×

You Guys Are So Darn Polite!

Ringil

I just was checking out this forum to learn about the Mormons.  I have no intention of joining- I just like learning about different religions.  I am a cradle Catholic and am as doctrinated as you guys.  I would never leave the Church.  

I go to a popular Catholic forum and those guys are jerks- really bad.  There are a few less uh. . . whats the word- intense people but the most vociferous poster present themselves in a very non-charitable manner.  Nothing like the Church IRL.  I just wanted to commend you folks are you general level of civility and balanced (non-bombastic) exchanges.  

BRAVO!

Only in this group. In real life, I am a complete heartless, back stabbing, ego maniac, greedy, lying jerk with has no compassion for people or any life. Oh wait, that is my ex-wife. Sorry and welcome to the group. :crazy:

Only in this group. In real life, I am a complete heartless, back stabbing, ego maniac, greedy, lying jerk with has no compassion for people or any life. Oh wait, that is my ex-wife. Sorry and welcome to the group. :crazy:

I just was checking out this forum to learn about the Mormons. I have no intention of joining- I just like learning about different religions. I am a cradle Catholic and am as doctrinated as you guys. I would never leave the Church.

I go to a popular Catholic forum and those guys are jerks- really bad. There are a few less uh. . . whats the word- intense people but the most vociferous poster present themselves in a very non-charitable manner. Nothing like the Church IRL. I just wanted to commend you folks are you general level of civility and balanced (non-bombastic) exchanges.

BRAVO!

I dunno, it can get pretty heated around here sometimes! But I think we all generally have good intentions. We definitely disagree a lot of the time on a lot of topics, but I think everyone just wants to help one another see what's right. Though each person's idea of what's "right" may vary...

Hello Ringil...

I agree with Silouette... it can become quite lively around here... but... there is always a level of posting that really is different from many boards.  This is partly because of the board rules, and the moderators that monitor the forums.  It keeps it within a level where civility benefits everyone, so that we can disagree with a poster's view, sometimes seriously, and not resort to unnecessary personal insults, name-calling, etc., even though we have our share of non-LDS, former LDS, agnostics, atheists... and our ever lovin' critics. 

I hope you'll participate in and enjoy our discussions... one of my favorite Catholics here on the board is 3DOP.  His posts add depth to the discussions while maintaining his convictions... He too is faithful and has no intention of leaving his faith...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

I just was checking out this forum to learn about the Mormons.  I have no intention of joining- I just like learning about different religions.  I am a cradle Catholic and am as doctrinated as you guys.  I would never leave the Church.  

I go to a popular Catholic forum and those guys are jerks- really bad.  There are a few less uh. . . whats the word- intense people but the most vociferous poster present themselves in a very non-charitable manner.  Nothing like the Church IRL.  I just wanted to commend you folks are you general level of civility and balanced (non-bombastic) exchanges.  

BRAVO!

If you stick around long enough . . . 

I have found that those who would post on religious forums (myself included) tend to be a bit different than your average adherant.  In my experience most Catholics go to Mass and try to live the faith without knowing the in's and out's of moral theology, Church governance, and Canon Law.  I believe that is good thing.  

I believe that I can make a "hobby" of my religion, which is way-off-the-mark.  I have had two priests recommend that I not go to the Catholic forum since it is no good for my faith.  I have to say, though, that is has become a kind of addiction.  I can't stay away for long.  I get a kind of small thrill out of reading more outlandish threads like these.

Franco wasn't that bad of a guy.

Very few people are saved because X saint says so.

The crusades were holy.

I t gets pretty odd.  

In any case I am rather Conservative when it come to my faith and liturgy but I am really very left leaning in terms of politics- except for the issues which the Church specifically has spoken about.  

I see mormons as like bran muffins- very wholesome, and characterized by a hearty, wholesome, and polite presentation.  

I hope I can provide some meaningful input around here.  

BRAVO!

Hey Ringil, I am a Catholic too, but only since 1995. I hope I would never leave the Catholic Church either. I have been here since 2004 and agree with your sentiments. I mainly hang around waiting for somebody to say something related to the Catholic faith. I seldom go longer than a week or two without something popping up. There are a few other Catholics that come by less frequently than me. If you are so inclined, I would urge you to look in now and then and contribute if you think it worth your while.  

God bless,

Rory 

Hey Ringil, I am a Catholic too, but only since 1995. I hope I would never leave the Catholic Church either. I have been here since 2004 and agree with your sentiments. I mainly hang around waiting for somebody to say something related to the Catholic faith. I seldom go longer than a week or two without something popping up. There are a few other Catholics that come by less frequently than me. If you are so inclined, I would urge you to look in now and then and contribute if you think it worth your while.  

God bless,

Rory 

You "hope" you stay in the Church?

That's no good!

It's not an option.  In the Church we have the fulness of faith.

Oh, and please know that the Catholic Church you see online, in no way resembles the Church IRL. 

(bold mine)

I can almost say that about this place.  This place has LDS that are foreign to me, compared to the LDS I live by, but that's a good thing.  Because on discussion boards and with anonymity, they can really let it out and be themselves and they come from all over the world, exciting!  I'm thankful for these discussions!! 

God bless,

Rory 

You "hope" you stay in the Church?

That's no good!

It's not an option.  In the Church we have the fulness of faith.

I understand what you are saying and why ringil. I appreciate your "ringing" response. Good words considering what I wrote. To clarify:

I hope I remain Catholic just as I hope I can persevere to the end without committing any other mortal sins. I am so hopeful that it makes me very happy. My hope is supernatural. Being founded in God, I have faith that God will not abandon me. But as St. Paul said, "I work out my salvation with fear and trembling", for the reason that I cannot know that I will not abandon God. My words were written with the consciousness of the knowledge of my own (and everyone's) weakness and frailty, not because I have any reasonable doubts about the Catholic Church.    

I understand what you are saying and why ringil. I appreciate your "ringing" response. Good words considering what I wrote. To clarify:

I hope I remain Catholic just as I hope I can persevere to the end without committing any other mortal sins. I am so hopeful that it makes me very happy. My hope is supernatural. Being founded in God, I have faith that God will not abandon me. But as St. Paul said, "I work out my salvation with fear and trembling", for the reason that I cannot know that I will not abandon God. My words were written with the consciousness of the knowledge of my own (and everyone's) weakness and frailty, not because I have any reasonable doubts about the Catholic Church.    

Ah, that makes sense and captures a great deal of humility.  

BRAVO!

It is interesting, depending on who you ask, what they think of us. Some think we are all just self rightous rubes. Others, like your slef, find us to be respectful and tolerant. The real difference is not us but the people that come here. If people have a balanced approach and allow us the courtesy to experess our views and theology things generally go a lot better. But when they demand things and put us in a box, things are not so pleasent. 

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

BRAVO!

The ability and desire to culturally communicate with minimal confrontation is a matter of personal maturity and education (not formal). It's not a function of religion or any particular philosophical stance. There are jerks everywhere ... and there are strong, caring, perceptive people everywhere. From what you've posted so far, it sounds to me like you would be a delightful person to know. Please stick around, Ringil.

Edited by cursor