Seriously No Politics ×

Missionary ( The Movie )

LOSTONE

Why is this movie using a Mormon missionary as the villain?

I just seen the news and they showed previews of this movie in their entertainment segment and I was stunt and bothered by it. Even though I am not Mormon, I still found the use of a Mormon missionary as a villain ( a stalker in this case ) in this offensive. Isn’t this being stereotypical and bias? What the bleep?!

I am not offended.

I don't think it is reinforcing a stereotype. Then again I have never met anyone who stereotypes Mormon missionaries as creepy possessive stalkers bent on seducing women and forcing her to be his forever using his religion to commit unspeakable crimes. It is playing against type. It is like a story about a coach who abducts players or a doctor who vivisects them. While it works as a thriller most people will not walk out afraid of doctors or coaches.

Well, for me, I am so offended that I posted about this movie in a Non-Mormon Christian group I belong to on line to protest the duplication of the Mormon missionary role in this movie. I wanted to express to others that just because you don’t agree with someone’s believes in faith, you don’t need to show them in false lights. That is not how we do it in any faith. I am offended by this movie and maybe it’s just me, but I tend to speak up when I feel offended.

Well, for me, I am so offended that I posted about this movie in a Non-Mormon Christian group I belong to on line to protest the duplication of the Mormon missionary role in this movie. I wanted to express to others that just because you don’t agree with someone’s believes in faith, you don’t need to show them in false lights. That is not how we do it in any faith. I am offended by this movie and maybe it’s just me, but I tend to speak up when I feel offended.

If this were a film about a Jewish rabbi who went bad, it might catch the attention of the Jewish Anti-Defamation League (ADL) and come in for harsh criticism.  However, since it is a slur on Mormons, it will go unnoticed by most LDS Church members.

Here is some info on "The Missionary"  http://http://www.aceshowbiz.com/movie/missionary/#ixzz3HQ9ROXnd ,

1. Release dateOctober 31, 2014 (USA) 1 hour 30 minutes

Writers/Producers: Scott Poiley, Bruce Wood

Studio: Freestyle Releasing

Cast:

• Mitch Ryan
  • Dawn Olivieri as Katherine Kingsmen
  • Kip Pardue
  • J. LaRose
  • Connor Christie
  • Randy Molnar
  • Jeff Chase

Why is this movie using a Mormon missionary as the villain?

I just seen the news and they showed previews of this movie in their entertainment segment and I was stunt and bothered by it. Even though I am not Mormon, I still found the use of a Mormon missionary as a villain ( a stalker in this case ) in this offensive. Isn’t this being stereotypical and bias? What the bleep?!

Let's face it, Catholic's have been picked on far longer...we're due.

Film Review: 'Missionary', Variety, October 31, 2014, online at http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/film-review-missionary-1201344773/ ,

Don't let the clean white shirt, the friendly demeanor and the Jesus-loving lingo fool you. The next Mormon knocking at your door could turn out to be a home-wrecking psychopath -- at least, according to "Missionary," a luridly entertaining thriller that plays like "Fatal Attraction" for extreme religiophobes, or perhaps a very gory episode of "The Brigham Young and the Restless." Following his Clive Barker adaptation "Dread" and his '60s horror tribute "Cassadaga," director Anthony DiBlasi continues his string of indie freakouts with this cautionary tale of a wife and mother who finds that her Book of Mormon-thumping boyfriend is anything but a saint, Latter-Day or otherwise. Released Oct. 31, the Freestyle/Orchard quickie could turn a quick buck in limited-theatrical and VOD play.

Archived