Seriously No Politics ×

Are Single Men Ever Called To The Bishopric Or Stake Presidency?

I believe that counselors can be single and branch presidencies, but bishops and stake presidents need to be married.

A lot of bishops do counselling for married couples so not a bad idea to be married.

Edited by calmoriah

I know that a widower who was sealed in the temple and is now single can be a Bishop.

I was a branch president while on my mission.

Otherwise:

"A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife," 1 Tim 3:2

Edited by JAHS

It does happen but it is rare. It is generally only allowed in areas where the Church is weak and the best/only option is single or in cases where missionaries run a branch. Counselors in YSA wards can be single if called from the congregation and sometimes single men serve in Bishoprics as counselors though this is not preferred generally. You are not immediately released but are released as soon as possible. A bishop friend of mine was released when his wife died. He got a letter from the Prophet with his condolences too.

It is discrimination but it is of a commanded and good kind.

Edited by The Nehor

The Church handbook states:

"When recommending a person to serve as bishop, the stake presidency carefully observes the principles set forth in 1 Timothy 3:2–7. "

2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
 3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
 4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
 5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
 6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
 7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

I have known single men in Bishoprics, divorced men who served as Bishops and our current Stake President has been divorced. Heck in our stake one of the High Councillors attends the Catholic Church and also one who told me some years ago he doesn't read the Book of Mormon anymore because he "knows all the stories". Honestly, I have given up looking to local leaders for spiritual guidance of any kind

Duncan, do you think this is just a theme in your area where you live?

well, if they breathe they are put into leadership. There appears to be a theme of putting men into callings to reactivate them. I've seen it with Bishoprics, High Council etc. I hope it works but i've seen it not work as well-as in the get released and that's the last time you seen them at church

No CFR just knowledge of such a case for a particular ward I was aware of.

Otherwise, have you watched the movie "Brigham City"?

No, but there was talk I was involved in where someone who I trust on knowing these things usually said the premise was wrong as he would have been released (wasn't he injured as well? If so, I see it as unlikely he would have continued as bishop).

PS: it was filmed in the small town I live in, though moved here after the release. The gazebo at the park had to have the stuff around the bottom removed because it freaked people out and I heard a goodly amount of the parents were ticked off because the locals were the extras and they hadn't realized they and their kids were in a murder mystery instead of some uplifting show about the Church.

Edited by calmoriah

Well, I know multiple apostles who were not released, including one who refuses to remarry.

For life jobs appear to be under a different standard.

MPs are never single, are they?

Edited by calmoriah

No, but there was talk I was involved in where someone who I trust on knowing these things usually said the premise was wrong as he would have been released (wasn't he injured as well? If so, I see it as unlikely he would have continued as bishop).

PS: it was filmed in the small town I live in, though moved here after the release. The gazebo at the park had to have the stuff around the bottom removed because it freaked people out and I heard a goodly amount of the parents were ticked off because the locals were the extras and they hadn't realized they and their kids were in a murder mystery instead of some uplifting show about the Church.

Yea I can't remember the details of the story, but if his wife had died while he was Bishop he probably would have been released, but if she had died several years before I don't see why he could not be called to be a bishop. Like I said I knew of this situation in a certain ward in a stake I was in a long time ago. Probably a rare occurrence. 

I know that a widower who was sealed in the temple and is now single can be a Bishop.

I was a branch president while on my mission.

Otherwise:

"A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife," 1 Tim 3:2

Yep that's it.  And that is taken to mean not divorced while a member.

Single men have served as counselors in bishoprics of several singles wards that I attended years ago  Also in the past, it was not uncommon for single missionaries to serve as branch presidents. And, if I recall correctly, John Boynton was called as an apostle prior to marrying. 

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I am single, and I have served in two different bishoprics in my ward, as second counsellor to one bishop and then as first counsellor to his replacement. I was surprised when first called and actually questioned the stake president over the matter.

This is great.  I am surprised but pleasantly so.