"cnn Focuses On Mormons And Drug Abuse"

BookofMormonLuvr

Interesting article in light of the CDC rescheduling of opiates...

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/entertainment2/58478090-223/ling-church-addiction-lds.html.csp

"More people are dying from pill overdose than any other ..." Seriously?  This is how it usually is. They blame the victim, not the victimizers.

In 2001, just after 9/11 the Doctor put me on an anti depressant, and later another one and finally another one, to make three drugs at once. The reason for these drugs was ostensibly for severe depression. I worked for the government at the time and saw them doing crazy and evil things, using the attack as an excuse. Years later, we know that anti depressant drugs often make depression worse. This same sort of issue happened to many government workers and now days they still use those drugs but at perhaps 10% of the dosage they used on me. It was not until I decided to get myself off those drugs that things began to get better. Of course they started using words like non-compliant on me, never acknowledging that they could have made mistakes. Funny that.

We know now that there is a lot of incentive for Doctors to prescribe drugs, any drugs, because at that time there were commissions. I do not know if they still do that.

So, we are just being impacted by the new policies and rather than take it on a case by case basis, they are doing this blanket action as the government is wont to do.

I know several Mormons who are on Paxil,  Atavan and other drugs. And in retrospect, it makes me wonder why people are not taught how to deal with things without drugs. Perhaps depression and stress are indicators of our condition that ought not to be ignored? Sure there are folks with BPD and Schizophrenia and other conditions that require medication, but what about the rest? Where do we draw the line, and why do the so called professionals get a bigger voice in this than we do?

"More people are dying from pill overdose than any other ..." Seriously?  This is how it usually is. They blame the victim, not the victimizers.

In 2001, just after 9/11 the Doctor put me on an anti depressant, and later another one and finally another one, to make three drugs at once. The reason for these drugs was ostensibly for severe depression. I worked for the government at the time and saw them doing crazy and evil things, using the attack as an excuse. Years later, we know that anti depressant drugs often make depression worse. This same sort of issue happened to many government workers and now days they still use those drugs but at perhaps 10% of the dosage they used on me. It was not until I decided to get myself off those drugs that things began to get better. Of course they started using words like non-compliant on me, never acknowledging that they could have made mistakes. Funny that.

We know now that there is a lot of incentive for Doctors to prescribe drugs, any drugs, because at that time there were commissions. I do not know if they still do that.

So, we are just being impacted by the new policies and rather than take it on a case by case basis, they are doing this blanket action as the government is wont to do.

I know several Mormons who are on Paxil,  Atavan and other drugs. And in retrospect, it makes me wonder why people are not taught how to deal with things without drugs. Perhaps depression and stress are indicators of our condition that ought not to be ignored? Sure there are folks with BPD and Schizophrenia and other conditions that require medication, but what about the rest? Where do we draw the line, and why do the so called professionals get a bigger voice in this than we do?

Without getting into your personal situation. Some of the greatest advances in medicine have been in the roll out of new and very powerful drugs to help in the control of mental illness. Unfortunately all of us are individuals and not all drugs work the same in all people. It usually takes 3-4 different drugs or combinations of drugs to work the most effectively. The recommended course of treatment is to use drugs only as an adjunct to quality Talk Therapy. Alcohol is still the drug of choice for those that go against sound medical science advice by self medication.

Without getting into your personal situation. Some of the greatest advances in medicine have been in the roll out of new and very powerful drugs to help in the control of mental illness. Unfortunately all of us are individuals and not all drugs work the same in all people. It usually takes 3-4 different drugs or combinations of drugs to work the most effectively. The recommended course of treatment is to use drugs only as an adjunct to quality Talk Therapy. Alcohol is still the drug of choice for those that go against sound medical science advice by self medication.

It may take a long time, but I think the best approach would be to teach people how to handle stressors at an early age. Admittedly there are chemical issues in the brain that can aggravate depression and anxiety. Eventually most people can learn to get themselves out of situations that cause them undue stress, like for example, an apartment in the basement with no windows, an obsessively over controlling family, learning to set personal boundaries to protect ourselves, and being impacted by someone who thinks they are in authority, but have simply gone round the bend and don't realize it. :)

That may be true, but it is also true that the medical profession is handsomely rewarded by big Pharma for pushing all manner of drugs.  Some doctors make around $200,000 a year extra for speaking at conferences about the high value of particular pharmaceuticals.  Often patients will demand narcotics from their personal physician, heedless of the doctor's effort to get them into some other form of treatment.  We are a society which loves recreational drug use.

Read a report that looked at drug deaths in 2009, iirc, and they said a bit over 50% were from illegal drug use.

Again iirc that made for about 200 deaths that year fom legal drug use.

I really wish they would give actual stats. Our violent death stat from car accidents is the lowest in the states which makes for the higher placement of death by overdose for us, but having less deaths by car is a good thing, not bad.

We need stats that compare us to other states to judge any vague statements.

Not saying the problem isn't a bad one, just would like to see intellegent non emotional nonsensationalised reporting.

We don't have to worry about my personal situation as that is not the issue here. People are dying from drug over doses and most of that is to over medication. 3 or 4 drugs, seriously? Don't you see a connection here? And why is it when someone starts questioning this issue then someone says, "Uh Oh, I guess you are off your meds huh?"  They are jumping on the Narcotics when they are not really the issue. And as long as we are not talking about my personal issues, I am not on drugs and have not been for 8 years, though I do remember that the drugs are what caused so much pain.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/drug-overdose-death-rate-postcard.aspx

"In the United States, drug overdose death rates more than tripled since 1990. Every day, more than 100 people die from drug overdoses. Most of these deaths are caused by prescription drugs. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the recent surge in drug overdose death rates is a result of increasing abuse and misuse of prescription opioid painkillers.

In 2010, prescription painkillers killed more than 16,500 people in the U.S., more than twice as many as cocaine and heroin combined.

In 2011, healthcare providers prescribed more than four times as many painkillers as in 1999, and at the same time prescription painkiller deaths increased.

A small percentage of providers, roughly 20 percent, are responsible for 80 percent of all prescription painkillers in 2010.

In 2012, an estimated 12.5 million people reported using prescription painkillers without a prescription."

Utah's rate in 2010 looks like 16.9 to be the 9 th highest, the highest being 28.9, there doesn't look to be any pattern by region so it is most likely varied due to state law or prescribing habits of the doctors (doctors often staying in areas where they received training would tend to concentrate same school doctors in a state plus local drug companies could have policies that affect prescribing rates in their area).

I would like to see the 20% of doctors broken down by speciality as there are legitimate reasons for certain doctors to prescribe more (works with terminal patients, is a surgeon prescribing for post op, emergency care doctor, pain management, etc.)

As far as I can tell, Utah policy is not as strict as many other states (some with my disorder use painkillers and report stories of rigid and even irrational regulation and practices in other states).

That may be true, but it is also true that the medical profession is handsomely rewarded by big Pharma for pushing all manner of drugs.  Some doctors make around $200,000 a year extra for speaking at conferences about the high value of particular pharmaceuticals.  Often patients will demand narcotics from their personal physician, heedless of the doctor's effort to get them into some other form of treatment.  We are a society which loves recreational drug use.

And there are those who will take a year to use a 30 pill prescription of Vicodin or Hydrocodone. Certain Headaches only respond to this drug, though there is a new drug out called "Sumatriptan" that has proved very effective on certain Migraine type headaches. I think the reason that the Psych types "Fort up" about drugs is that if a drug or a drug regimen can be shown to be harmful, then they face legal action. There are various groups who fight over medication, though they seem to disappear rapidly.

Sumatriptan has been available since 1991.

There are mental illnesses that do need to be treated with medication. As another poster mentioned, it sometimes requires a combination of drugs. Just as treatment for other illnesses sometimes requires.

That there are drugs available to treat mental illness is a good thing. There are people with physical illnesses for which there is currently no treatment who would rejoice at having the opportunity to receive treatment t for their disease.

I don't understand why some people get their undies in a bunch about competently prescribed medication for mental illness. Should we also not prescribe medication for diabetes, hypertension, etc.?

My experience (including professionally) is that the people who balk most at the idea that mental illness can be helped with the right medications are those who should be taking such medications but are in denial about their illness.

Sumatriptan has been available since 1991.

There are mental illnesses that do need to be treated with medication. As another poster mentioned, it sometimes requires a combination of drugs. Just as treatment for other illnesses sometimes requires.

That there are drugs available to treat mental illness is a good thing. There are people with physical illnesses for which there is currently no treatment who would rejoice at having the opportunity to receive treatment t for their disease.

I don't understand why some people get their undies in a bunch about competently prescribed medication for mental illness. Should we also not prescribe medication for diabetes, hypertension, etc.?

My experience (including professionally) is that the people who balk most at the idea that mental illness can be helped with the right medications are those who should be taking such medications but are in denial about their illness.

Yes, Raingirl, and some very controversial treatments (which got Timothy Leary and Richard Alpert into such trouble at Harvard a half-century ago) are now being brought back to treat PTSD and some other major problems:

SeeTom Shroder, The Acid Test, LSD, Ecstasy and the Power to Heal (Blue Rider Press, 2014).

http://thedianerehmshow.org/audio-player?nid=19948 , or 

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2014-10-02/using-psychedelic-drugs-treat-mental-disorders .

MD's are or should be our second line defense against prescription drug abuse. The over prescription of drugs is not only sad it is dangerous, and not just to the patient. Of course we as individuals need to step up to the plate and only use drugs as absolutely necessary, and then DC them once the need is gone.

MD's are or should be our second line defense against prescription drug abuse. The over prescription of drugs is not only sad it is dangerous, and not just to the patient. Of course we as individuals need to step up to the plate and only use drugs as absolutely necessary, and then DC them once the need is gone.

Gosh, I know it. I'm going to get into trouble over this.

I have really harsh personal experience with this and if some think I am "spinning" the story, tough.

It started many years ago, around 89', with 200 Mg of Haldol. I think clinical dosage for that drug at the time was around 600 mg. The stuff just numbed me and made it posible to get through some very high stress situations without getting emotional. After a couple years, the situation got easier because I was more competent. Realizing the world was still just as screwed up, I titrated myself off of it. That really upsets Mental Health people, some who think they are just short of Gods. So, I was fine until 2001 and the attack.

One of the thing about relief workers is that they take on a lot of pain, and we have to learn the hard way how to deal with it. Perhaps today, they teach us how to depressurize.  I'd been to Honduras twice (5 wks), and then to Kenya and Israel. (3 1/2 weeks). Kenya crushed me. The abject poverty, the death, 2/3 of the people had died, and the expecations of those who lived that Americans would help. Why could I not have died there? We got home in May, and people just expect you to brush it off and go back to being a fat, hedonistic American. I couldn't. (I imagine that LDS missionaries are helped to debrief?)

So they started me on Paxil or something, but it just made matters worse. Then in September of that year, 9/11 happened. I was EV then, and the Muslims did not scare me. I figured that good Americans would band together and fight them on the streets if we needed to do it. The Government became so irrational that I could not handle it, and I had a break of megalithic proportions. They started me on Celexa first and later Welbutrin and finally Trazidone, and in what my MD said was an overdose situation. I should have listened to him rather than the Psychiatrist. Doing my research, I have found that they still use those drugs but in dosages of about 10% of what they gave me. (This from a professor of Pharmacology at a local Medical University)

It was a question of the prescriber violating my trust and not being mindful of my welfare. It took until November of 2007 to get off that stuff. I am not telling the whole situation but I can say for sure, I should have died. In the wake of this debacle, my family, job, church and friends were all gone.

Yes I have a strong sense of injustice over this but there will be no violence over it. I get involved in groups protesting over medication when I can, and their numbers are growing. Rather than put them on trial, I hope that they will learn from it.

And to the person who says I "spin things" please have the courage and integrity to sit down with me and talk, rather than snipe at me on this page. Apparently you live in my Stake. I have no history of violence.

Gosh, I know it. I'm going to get into trouble over this.

I have really harsh personal experience with this and if some think I am "spinning" the story, tough.

It started many years ago, around 89', with 200 Mg of Haldol. I think clinical dosage for that drug at the time was around 600 mg. The stuff just numbed me and made it posible to get through some very high stress situations without getting emotional. After a couple years, the situation got easier because I was more competent. Realizing the world was still just as screwed up, I titrated myself off of it. That really upsets Mental Health people, some who think they are just short of Gods. So, I was fine until 2001 and the attack.

One of the thing about relief workers is that they take on a lot of pain, and we have to learn the hard way how to deal with it. Perhaps today, they teach us how to depressurize. I'd been to Honduras twice (5 wks), and then to Kenya and Israel. (3 1/2 weeks). Kenya crushed me. The abject poverty, the death, 2/3 of the people had died, and the expecations of those who lived that Americans would help. Why could I not have died there? We got home in May, and people just expect you to brush it off and go back to being a fat, hedonistic American. I couldn't. (I imagine that LDS missionaries are helped to debrief?)

So they started me on Paxil or something, but it just made matters worse. Then in September of that year, 9/11 happened. I was EV then, and the Muslims did not scare me. I figured that good Americans would band together and fight them on the streets if we needed to do it. The Government became so irrational that I could not handle it, and I had a break of megalithic proportions. They started me on Celexa first and later Welbutrin and finally Trazidone, and in what my MD said was an overdose situation. I should have listened to him rather than the Psychiatrist. Doing my research, I have found that they still use those drugs but in dosages of about 10% of what they gave me. (This from a professor of Pharmacology at a local Medical University)

It was a question of the prescriber violating my trust and not being mindful of my welfare. It took until November of 2007 to get off that stuff. I am not telling the whole situation but I can say for sure, I should have died. In the wake of this debacle, my family, job, church and friends were all gone.

Yes I have a strong sense of injustice over this but there will be no violence over it. I get involved in groups protesting over medication when I can, and their numbers are growing. Rather than put them on trial, I hope that they will learn from it.

And to the person who says I "spin things" please have the courage and integrity to sit down with me and talk, rather than snipe at me on this page. Apparently you live in my Stake. I have no history of violence.

I watched a show the other night called "Loose Change, 911", something like that. And if the conspiracy is true, it would make me want to take a pill or two.

Glad you got off that many pills, those that prescribed you those, need a big kick in the fanny.

I watched a show the other night called "Loose Change, 911", something like that. And if the conspiracy is true, it would make me want to take a pill or two.

Glad you got off that many pills, those that prescribed you those, need a big kick in the fanny.

I'd say more, but I'll get whacked for derailing. It was really frightening and the same happened to lots of government employees. If someone wants to start a thread on 9/11 ...

Reported: Binge drinking among teen drinking Utahns high...about 20% higher than national average.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765660785/65-of-Utahs-12th-graders-that-drink-report-binge-drinking.html

Makes it sound like Utah is horrible.

In Utah, about 15% of teens drink consistently (so about 10% binge).

"2011 and 2012 12-20 Year Old Alcohol Consumption

Past Month Alcohol Consumption 15.7

Binge Drinking in Past 30-days. 10.8"

http://www.responsibility.org/state-facts/utah

In the US overall 78% drink, so if the binge rate is only around half rather than 2/3 than you have 39% of teens binging on average....so Utah rates of binge drinking is 1/4 the average. This wasn't mentioned in the article sadly enough. And the summary is off because it says high rate among 12th graders as opposed to high rate among 12th grade drinkers.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/survey-reveals-shocking-levels-of-teen-drinking-drug-abuse/

And Utah leads in underage prevention:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865595005/Utah-leads-out-on-underage-drinking-prevention.html?pg=all

Different stats used butUtah still does good:

For example, the 30-day use rate for Utah high school seniors was 14 percent compared to about 42 percent nationally, according to the 2013 Student Health and Risk Prevention report

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865595005/Utah-leads-out-on-underage-drinking-prevention.html?pg=all

My opinion, since kids in Utah who drink are much lower than average, of kids who continue past once or twice to consistently drink, that percentage in comparison to the overall ever took a drink group will likely be higher as well as the binge drinkers because those set of teens who were very low drinkers in other states (may drink solely when feel pressured by friends) will more likely be in the no drink category in Utah, the pressure being not to drink here.

I'd say more, but I'll get whacked for derailing. It was really frightening and the same happened to lots of government employees. If someone wants to start a thread on 9/11 ...

Right, I was thinking of mentioning the documentary on Social: Last movie watched...for feedback.

Archived