Seriously No Politics ×

Internet Missionaries

Okrahomer

This is an interesting "real-life" example of the good side of the internet, and how it can aid in missionary work and simple "warm" human interaction.  While I still see the potential pitfalls of having our kids glued to their iPads, this shows me that it is not the cold and lifeless "thing" I once thought it was.  There is life and living and love there too.

This is an interesting "real-life" example of the good side of the internet, and how it can aid in missionary work and simple "warm" human interaction.  While I still see the potential pitfalls of having our kids glued to their iPads, this shows me that it is not the cold and lifeless "thing" I once thought it was.  There is life and living and love there too.

I started doing Internet Missionary work around June of 2011, and was later actually called to do that work. It is a so called "Ward Calling".  People don't actually need a calling to do that work, all we need to do is speak about the love we have for Heavenly Father, and the things he teaches us. I still have many Muslim friends and they are typically friendly and full of questions. I don't think any Evangelical, or Catholic has responded unkindly. Much of what I do is on Facebook, but there are other forums and venues.

Oddly, the only folk who have been negative at all are a very few, 2 actually,  Mormon men and one Mormon Sister who let her power go to her head. The real issue now is not what they did, but getting my own attitude to be pleasing to Heavenly Father again. I've taken a break until that is so.

I started doing Internet Missionary work around June of 2011, and was later actually called to do that work. It is a so called "Ward Calling... The real issue now is not what they did, but getting my own attitude to be pleasing to Heavenly Father again. I've taken a break until that is so.

Ellen, the Internet is a better "place" because of you. Please don't let the negativity overwhelm the light.

The internet missionaries actually have a higher baptism rate than regular missionaries.  Why?  Probably because those coming to them on the internet are self-selecting.

History has proven that "baptism rate" can be a poor measurement of effectiveness.  How many of the internet converts remain active after a year is the real measure.

• 4 weeks later...

I am called to be an Internet Missionary, and did it for about two years. I am taking a rest right now. There were a couple of issues with it, and that is what wore me out.  The most painful part was certain other Mormons who exercised unrighteous dominion over some groups. I'm not going into specifics here, but if someone wants to PM I will. What I was doing worked, and they killed it.

The other issue that was particularly fatiguing was if I liked or made any positive comment about a Mormon post, I got deluged with Mormon content. I have no idea if it was certain Mormons driving that or if it was Facebook staff. I have lots of contact with many different kinds of people and this "deluge" cut them off.

Eventually, I closed down my Facebook account for around two or three months. It is open again, but I am careful not to Like Mormon posts.

• 5 weeks later...

The Internet is a great tool. Let's people approach in their own time. As opposed to being bombarded on fhe streets and if they are self concious having people look and at times laugh because they are in conversation with a missionary on the street.

Internet lets you ask those questions you may not be so open to ask in public.

Archived