Seriously No Politics ×

Joseph Keith's Prophetic Words To B Y U Fans

I think the refs did a good job... nothing obvious that I could see... don't recall yelling at them...

GG

He went ahead and just deleted it.  I think having sat through a losing game that night (UVU) he didn't have the desired to endure another.  Plus there are better things to spend his time on right now and the occasional cathartic result….I think he is realizing it isn't really all that helpful, balance is not achieve in life by allowing oneself to go out of control in that instance.

Edited by calmoriah

Monday, Dec 29...

Both the Men's and Women's basketball teams played the Portland Pilots... both exciting... and BYU prevailing in each game...

The Men... won 97 - 88... undaunted by Portland starting three 6'11" players... BYU started a new lineup that included Anson Winder.  BYU led most of the game from 2 up to 20 points... and had five players who scored in double digits... including Haws (24), Winder (22), and Collinsworth (21).  

It was a good game with some really exciting passing and shooting by BYU... 

The Women... won 83 - 79... Portland led a good portion of the game with BYU finally pulling ahead.  Coach Jeff J said he was proud of the way the team stuck together, executed their game plan and was able to get the win. 

Bailey had a carerr high 31 points... Maeda added 17 points... Eaton 16 points.  BYU led in rebounds, assists, and points off of Portland turnovers.

Both teams play in a double header against Santa Clara on Thursday, Jan 1 in the Marriott Center, and both televised on BYU-TV... the Women at 12:30 PM (MST), and the Men at 3:00 PM (MST).

GG

So how was the refereeing? Want to be prepared if husband decides to watch it. He who is kind to everyone else is not kind to refs. The bad ones appear to be the symbol for all that is evil in the world for him.

Reminds me of my favorite Super Bowl commercial.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiEnZCLKQxs

:D:rofl::D

In the midst of all the college games... don't forget that BYU has a double header basketball against Santa Clara to be televised on BYU-TV starting with the women at 12:30 (MST) and followed by the men at 3:00 PM (MST).

It's 7:30 A.M. my PST, and I'm trying to find a pre-Rose Parade show about the floats.  I'm anxious about the cold weather... apparently this is to be the coldest Jan 1 since 1952.  When I was a girl, we used to drive into Pasadena to see the parade.  It was always so beautiful.  Amazingly, the weather always cooperated.  But if it is really artic cold today, I worry for the majorettes, etc.  Hopefully it won't rain... 

Happy New Year to everyone...

from the beach on a cold, crisp morning... GG

Well of course I'm happy as a clam tonight... had a good day watching the Women's and Men's basketball games against Santa Clara...

Women:  Won by a score of 84 to 55... they dominated the game starting about mid-way in the first half...  this even though Santa Clara doubled and sometimes tripled coverage of Morgan Bailey...

Eaton had 22 points... the bench outscored Santa Clara's bench 33 to 21.  Every available player on the team was able to get playing time minutes in this game.

The Women play next Saturday, Jan 3... taking on San Francisco in the Marriott Center at 2:00 PM (MST) to be televised live on BYU-TV.

Men:  The BYU men cruised past the Santa Clara Broncos 81 - 46.  Everyone that played scored points.... with the team playing both offense and defense really well. 

Next Saturday, Jan. 3... the Courgars will stay on the road and take on San Francisco at 8:00 PM (PST) to be televised on Root Sports...

I know this sounds like a real rout by both the men and women... but both Santa Clara teams had some team members who were making good plsys and shots, including 3-pointers.   But this day belonged to the Cougars...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

This past Saturday, January 3, the men''s and the women's basketball teams played the Univ of San Francisco teams...

The women played first, in a closely matched and exciting game... Bailey led the team with 26 points, and Eaton had I believe 18 points... Coach J said he was happy for the win because it had been a rough stretch with finals, the holidays, and half of the team sick.  But the women stuck together and prevailed to win over the Dons 65 - 62.

The game was telecast on BYU-TV...

At 8:00 PM (PST) the men took on the SF Dons on the road... and dominated the game... BYU finally winning 99 to 68... the game was televised on Root Sports Network.  The team was shooting lights-out, with several players making 3-pointers one after another  I think at one point they had 10 out of 13 attempts.  The commentators were saying "Look at what BYU is doing!!'  Because the team was really unstoppable in their passing, shooting, and rebounds, etc etc.

Sunday, Jan. 4

Something interesting... when I got home from Church, I turned on the TV to see what was on BYU-TV... as I was going through the channels I came across the game between the Dallas Cowboys and the Detroit Lions... the camera panned the team and I saw the name "Van Noy" on a shirt and sure enough there was Kyle Van Noy...  The game was in the final minutes and the score was 17 to 20 in favor of the Lions, the first possible playoff win in I don't know how many years... In the last minute of the game, the Cowboys made a touchdown and won the game 24 to 20... taking the victory out of the hands of the Lions.

Edited by Garden Girl

My poor Bobby-cat... his eyes get big when I yell at the TV... as I  was doing tonight as I watched Pepperdine... Pepperdine!!... outplay BYU, the highest scoring basketball team in the country... Pepperdine, who had lost 8 of their last 9 games!! led all the way, sometimes by as many as 13 points.  In the last few minutes of the 2nd half, BYU pulled within one point.  But again, BYU's shots would not drop... 3-pointers were missed... shots were blocked... turnovers were made... and unintentional fouls... in fact I could just scream at Kafusci... he doesn't seem to be able to  play without fouling and cost us some points because of it. 

Pepperdine won 67 - 61.  It would have been closer except for that purposely fouling strategy... We'd get the ball and it would be a 3 point difference... Haws would shoot for 3 points... and it would miss...Pepperdine would get possession again and make a basket... then we'd make one... and finally in the last minute the fouling with Pepperdine making free throw shots.. 

Most people expected BYU to prevail, which they should have... but Pepperdine was playing really good defense, and BYU was absolutely cold.  How is it they can play so terrific one game and the next be inept... What in the world happens??!!

Anyway, I'm bummed...

EDIT to add... the next games coming up are with the best teams in WCC...Gonzaga ( which we will probably lose)... Santa Clara (again another possible loss)... particularly if we play like tonight...  sigh...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Well... good news... the BYU Men's basketball team played Loyola-Marymount Saturday night and some of their spark was back after their loss to Pepperdine... they beat LMU 85 - 72... BYU led by as many as 10+ points but LMU pulled within 4 in the last half, and I thought Oh No... not again.  But they pulled it together and started executing and slowly pulled back ahead. 

Haws had 26 points.  He will soon pass Danny Ainge in scoring points, and if he keeps it up will catch Jimmer...

It was a good game and should help them in their upcoming games, which will be on the road...

GG   

Want to know something funny?  Tonight I  was waiting for the Championship football game to come on between the Oregon Ducks and Iowa Buckeyes... so I turned to the NBA channel to see who was playing and it was New Orleans Pelicans (Jimmer Fredette's team) and the Boston Celtics.  As I watched the game it was very close and or tied... I got to see Jimmer  play... and guess who he was playing against on the Celtics... Kelly Olynyk who is a very good player and used to be on either Gonzaga or St. Mary's, and who played against Jimmer and the Cougars... in those days Kelly wore shoulder length hair with a headband... he still has shoulder length hair and a headband!!  It was like deja vu... 

Jimmer is starting to get more minutes per game, particularly now that Rivers has been traded.  Jimmer and Rivers used to split playing minutes when they played... he made some points but missed some also.  But no more than anyone else... I think his average has been 11 points per game which isn't bad considering the time he was given...

Anyway, it was fun to see these two collegiate rivals playing against each other again in the NBA.  Oh, the Celtics won by 5 points I think it was....

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

I guess I've posted long enough on this thread...

Valentinus started it to poke fun at the BYU sports fans, particularly me because we had kiddingly posted jabs at each other over the BYU vs Utes sports... so, I just started posting the BYU team results to poke back at him.  It's been fun... and I'm still as big a BYU fan as ever and I guess I always will be.

from the beach on a rainy, cold morning... but not as cold as elsewhere has been these past weeks.

GG

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurect this thread, but I just had to...  Some things have been happening that I just had to comment on... like tonight...

1)  While looking at the sports schedule I saw that the New Orleans Pelicans (Jimmer Fredette's team) would be playing the Toronto Raptors on NBA-TV... so I tuned in hoping to see Jimmer play... well, all the game he was not called in to play and I thought to myself that he couldn't possibly play any worse than those sent in... anyway, the Pelicans were behind the whole game, sometimes as many as 18 points.  In the last quarter they finally caught up and took the lead by 1 point with just a few minutes left...

the score went back and forth by a point and finally the score was 98 - 97 Pelicans leading with 4.5 seconds left on the game clock.  So who do they call in??  Jimmer! 

The plan was to get the ball to Jimmer and Toronto would purposely foul him and he would go to the free throw line...

Sure enough... Jimmer gets the ball and is fouled.  4.5 seconds remain and he steps up to the line... (no pressure...Ha!.. after sitting on the bench all the game, and now being called in to make the free throws!!)  All eyes are on him... He shoots and makes FT 1... 99 - 97... He gets set and shoots again, and again makes the shot!  Score is now 100 - 97 Pelicans... the last seconds tick off as Toronto is not able to make a score... 

Jimmer confidently stepped up to the line and made the shots to seal the win!!!  Go Jimmer...

2)  The other thing is that the next basketball game, this Thursday night, Tyler Haws will break Jimmer's BYU record for points earned... I think Haws is only 7 points away from setting a new BYU record... replacing Jimmer as BYU's all time highest scorer...

GG

Sorry to resurect this thread, but I just had to... Some things have been happening that I just had to comment on... like tonight...

1) While looking at the sports schedule I saw that the New Orleans Pelicans (Jimmer Fredette's team) would be playing the Toronto Raptors on NBA-TV... so I tuned in hoping to see Jimmer play... well, all the game he was not called in to play and I thought to myself that he couldn't possibly play any worse than those sent in... anyway, the Pelicans were behind the whole game, sometimes as many as 18 points. In the last quarter they finally caught up and took the lead by 1 point with just a few minutes left...

the score went back and forth by a point and finally the score was 98 - 97 Pelicans leading with 4.5 seconds left on the game clock. So who do they call in?? Jimmer!

The plan was to get the ball to Jimmer and Toronto would purposely foul him and he would go to the free throw line...

Sure enough... Jimmer gets the ball and is fouled. 4.5 seconds remain and he steps up to the line... (no pressure...Ha!.. after sitting on the bench all the game, and now being called in to make the free throws!!) All eyes are on him... He shoots and makes FT 1... 99 - 97... He gets set and shoots again, and again makes the shot! Score is now 100 - 97 Pelicans... the last seconds tick off as Toronto is not able to make a score...

Jimmer confidently stepped up to the line and made the shots to seal the win!!! Go Jimmer...

2) The other thing is that the next basketball game, this Thursday night, Tyler Haws will break Jimmer's BYU record for points earned... I think Haws is only 7 points away from setting a new BYU record... replacing Jimmer as BYU's all time highest scorer...

W

GG

I like watching b ball games if I like a player, not a huge sports fan like you, but your play-by-play makes me want to watch Jimmer and the Pelicans!

Okay... this is too good not to post...

Tonight in an exciting... heart pounding... game, BYU upset #3 Gonzaga!!  (#1 in WCC) The Cougs led all the way, only tieing once at the half when Gonzaga caught up at 36 to 36...

Upon starting the 2nd half, BYU soon took the lead and kept it all the way.  Gonzaga at the end caught up to within 3 points... but BYU held on and prevailed with the win...

The announcers said this was BYU's biggest win/upset in 34 years (the last being when they upset #2 UCLA).

This was a critical win for BYU in helping us get into the NCAA tournament...

Yea Cougars!!  I'm in love with Kyle Collinsworth!!!  ;)

GG

Edited by Garden Girl
  • 3 weeks later...

I had to post this... since March Madness is beginning...

BYU made it to the NCAA Tournament!!  They earned an at-large spot, and will be pitted against Ole Miss this evening at 6:00 PM (PDT) on the opening day (9:10 PM (Eastern).

The game will be televised on TRU-tv... Channel 242 On DISH... don't know what channel that would be on DIRECT or other media.

GG

Hey GG..I think BYU's game is actually tomorrow (i. e., Tuesday, March 17).

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket

Thanks Okra... You're absolutely right... tomorrow is opening day... don't know why I said this evening... I'm 74, what can I say??

:blink:  :wacko:

GG