Purpose Of Indexing?

Duncan

IIRC, it got it's start years ago when the church decided that they were not getting enough family group sheets and that henceforth, temple ordinances would be pulled from vital records transcribed by church members.  People were called on local indexing missions, my wife received a ward calling where she would get a floppy disc biweekly from the stake indexing coordinator that contained a computer file with a copy of say, six months worth of death certificates or marriage records or whatever, she would type the information on there into a standard form and return the disk.  I think the trouble with the Jewish Holocaust victims came about because they indexed some birth records from European countries from the appropriate years, and bingo.

These days, apparently we get enough temple ordinance submissions from members to keep the temple busy, so indexing is more universal, making it easier to find great great grandpa's birthdate in typed form rather than trying to read a German parish record from 1850.  Plus typed files can be digitally searched easier than handwritten ones.  

I think the trouble with the Jewish Holocaust victims came about because they indexed some birth records from European countries from the appropriate years, and bingo.

I know there were some that were  going straight to the published lists of victims and doing them even though they weren't relatives.

Let's make this basic.

I want to find my parents and grand parents on the 1940 Census -- and it would be interesting to see their neighbors because relatives tend to live close to each other.

Now, in the past I would spend hours looking at the census where I think they were living, but now I can look up my grandfather Charles Dowis, and my father in the index and it shows me exactly where to look.  Also it is sometimes very difficult to read the original record, so the indexers are trained to transcribe the writing.  It shows a typed record for a handwritten record, making it easier to read.  And I can simply click on the indexed record and it takes me to the original record to see for myself.

A personal experience ==>  I was indexing the death records for Jamaica, and saw a husband and wife who died at the same time.  They were laborers, did not even have a surname.  Who would be doing their work?  I was deeply touched and had their temple work done for them ( even though it was against the rules).

Go to familysearch.org and go to the volunteer link to get started.  You can start with easy projects, and then move on from there.  Fun and very rewarding.

Edited by cdowis