Seriously No Politics ×

Taking A Break In The Mission Is This Everywhere?

I was talking to the elders and sisters yestarday and they were saying there is a new program that says that if you are having too many emotional problems (but not too serious to warrant getting sent home) you can go home for a couple of months and then come back out. Has anyone heard of this being done elsewhere? This mission seems to be putting this in practice as in the last 6 weeks 7 or 8 went home, how many will come back I have no idea

I was talking to the elders and sisters yestarday and they were saying there is a new program that says that if you are having too many emotional problems (but not too serious to warrant getting sent home) you can go home for a couple of months and then come back out. Has anyone heard of this being done elsewhere? This mission seems to be putting this in practice as in the last 6 weeks 7 or 8 went home, how many will come back I have no idea

I haven't heard of this but it wouldn't surprise me that some leaders are considering the idea.  If to proves to be correct it would be a stark difference from when I served a mission and you weren't allowed to go home and return, even for a family member's death.  I could see some significant line drawing challenges for this to work, but I applaud any attempts to help these young missionaries. 

Yes, we had a missionary from our stake do this. He ended up not going back.

Frankly, I think if they gave missionaries a real day off once a week they'd have less problems. Current rules even have them doing their full study periods on p-day. For my son, that means p-day doesn't actually start until 10:30 and ends at 5:30. In that 7 hours he has to do laundry, shop, take his hour of computer time (for which he has to go to an internet cafe and during which he also has to do his stats report and write the president), etc. His mission president in the newsletter, which is also sent to parents, recently told them they should have more fun on p-days. My question is when are they supposed to do the fun activities?

You do the fun stuff on P-Day. In my mission we had a period of a few months around a temple opening where P-Day was cancelled because we were so busy. While at times we missed it time flew fast without the day to break things up.

I really don't see this policy as making a lot of sense unless it is a "gentle" way to send people home.

A full day off on for P-day would have made a huge difference. I mean you get to sleep in and actually rest. That would have been nice. I get why you still go out at 6 though. But looking back It would not have made a difference in my mission to me personally. Well, at least as far as I could tell. Non of my baptism came because we went tracting on Monday Evening.

As far as this idea of letting them go home for a few months, that is a terrible idea. If I had that option I probably would have taken it and I probably would not have returned. I have mission dreams all the time and in them I serve a 2nd mission and I always come home early. Some times I am even serving a 3rd mission and I make it out for about 2 weeks and call it quits.

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

A full day off on for P-day would have made a huge difference. I mean you get to sleep in and actually rest. That would have been nice. I get why you still go out at 6 though. But looking back It would not have made a difference in my mission to me personally. Well, at least as far as I could tell. Non of my baptism came because we went tracting on Monday Evening.

As far as this idea of letting them go home for a few months, that is a terrible idea. If I had that option I probably would have taken it and I probably would not have returned. I have mission dreams all the time and in them I serve a 2nd mission and I always come home early. Some times I am even serving a 3rd mission and I make it out for about 2 weeks and call it quits.

Wow, are you having PTSD?  ;)

There is a young man who came back early in my ward and had a minor operation.  He was supposed to have gone back to his mission, but has since decided to stay home, which caught me by surprise after his recent testimony in church.  So maybe it would be difficult to go back after having been at home for a break or for minor surgery. 

I haven't heard of this but it wouldn't surprise me that some leaders are considering the idea.  If to proves to be correct it would be a stark difference from when I served a mission and you weren't allowed to go home and return, even for a family member's death.  I could see some significant line drawing challenges for this to work, but I applaud any attempts to help these young missionaries. 

Even for a family member's death? Yikes! That's a bit harsh. I mean, I understand the idea of dedication but that gives me the willies.

Even for a family member's death? Yikes! That's a bit harsh. I mean, I understand the idea of dedication but that gives me the willies.

Usually if it is immediate family they let you return home honorably for a time or finish your mission early. If it is an uncle or a cousin or a grandparent probably not.

It is pretty common to have dreams where you are called back or are still on mission. I still occasionally have them but I have the same kinds of dreams about college too.

I don't think I could do a mission again. Not a youth one anyways (I hope to be a senior missionary). It is fine to do it once in ignorance but to endure it again knowing what lies ahead. Scary. I would go if called but am glad it is unlikely.

It is fine to do it once in ignorance but to endure it again knowing what lies ahead. Scary. I would go if called but am glad it is unlikely.

That is my thought. I could not do the youth mission again, there is a reason they call young adults. A senior mission I think I could handle and I probably will do with my wife.

Just that it was really hard. There was a lot of good that came from it but a lot of pain too and just bs. I just wouldn't put up with it now.

I seriously doubt there is any such option.  If something like that did happen, all the travel would be done at the missionary's expense.  They probably mean you can go home early and be on a "break" until you come back as a senior missionary in 50 years, or continue your missionary work in the spirit world...

Someone recently posted a summary of the training given to Mission Presidents, and if I recall, it said that missionaries who are sent home for more than a few weeks should get released.  I can't find a link to the source, so that's just from memory.

Yes.  My younger brother died while my older brother was on his mission.  He was not allowed to come home.  My grandparents, who were on a mission at the time, were allowed to come home for a week, though. 

Edited by Rock_N_Roll

Not allowed to go home. Seriously, people. It's not as if they're going to be bound and gagged if they try. If any missionary tries to go home there will be nobody who will be able to stop them. It's just a matter of whether or not they will be called to return to their mission, or called again for another one.

Edited by Ahab

It is not surprising. With the reduction of age,  there is a large influx of those who are less mature into the field. Before, those who stuck it out and eventually went on a mission were by definition more mature, and committed. I don't see a thing wrong with these youngsters taking a break.

Having had my brother come home early over 20 years ago, this would have been a great idea.  I  believe that sometimes it is a necessary thing to re-evaluate your goals, psyche, in light of suddenly serving in a difficult area.  I can't imagine how I would feel day in and day out just listening to closing doors.  This gives a missionary a chance to go out for himself/herself on not just for Mom and Dad and the sweetheart who may be waiting.

Just my IMO.

Jeanne

Not allowed to go home. Seriously, people. It's not as if they're going to be bound and gagged if they try. If any missionary tries to go home there will be nobody who will be able to stop them. It's just a matter of whether or not they will be called to return to their mission, or called again for another one.

Ok, I should have said "not allowed to return if he left".  

Was it encouraged for kids to go home? Was it even truly put on the table as an option? 

Was it encouraged for kids to go home? Was it even truly put on the table as an option? 

We had a Sister in my mission who lost both her father and her brother within days of each other. My mission president begged her to go home for the funerals, but she would have nothing of it.

Near the beginning of my mission I had a zone leader whose mother had died during his service. Under the direction of the previous mission president, he had gone home for two weeks.

It is pretty common to have dreams where you are called back or are still on mission.

I've had this experience a few times, most recently last year. I always wake up feeling like it's Christmas morning only to discover that it was just a dream. I envy the fulltime missionaries I get to serve with, but at least I get to serve with them. Tonight will be my ninth appointment with them this week. Then tomorrow we have another double baptism!

Regarding the OP, one of the young men serving from our ward is in Canada, and he just finished his second stint with an American Elder who went home for a few months. When the decision was made for the struggling Elder to return, they sent him back to a good companion who had helped him before. I'm proud of our missionary for being the kind of companion that could be trusted to help in this way, and I'm glad the American Elder has successfully returned to his mission.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan

Do you (or anyone else) know if the missionaries, when they go home for this new program, are still missionaries?  That is, are they still required to wear their name tag, dress in appropriate missionary clothing, do missionary activities?  What are they doing at home?  What are they doing to take care of the emotional problems?  Seeing a psychologist?  Hanging out with family?  Just curious if anyone knows. 

Years ago, my cousin tore his ACL while still in the MTC.  He had to go home to have surgery done and recuperate.  Can't remember how long he was out, but it seemed like it was at least 2 if not 3 months.  While he was out, he was instructed to not watch TV (though was eventually given permission to watch BYU sports), only read church/gospel-related books, and basically sit at home except when he was getting medical treatment or at church.  Anyway, the point of all this is what are these missionaries doing if they come home from their missions temporarily?  Thanks! 

I've had this experience a few times, most recently last year. I always wake up feeling like it's Christmas morning only to discover that it was just a dream. I envy the fulltime missionaries I get to serve with, but at least I get to serve with them. Tonight will be my ninth appointment with them this week. Then tomorrow we have another double baptism!

Regarding the OP, one of the young men serving from our ward is in Canada, and he just finished his second stint with an American Elder who went home for a few months. When the decision was made for the struggling Elder to return, they sent him back to a good companion who had helped him before. I'm proud of our missionary for being the kind of companion that could be trusted to help in this way, and I'm glad the American Elder has successfully returned to his mission.

Where in Canada is your missionary serving?

Glad I'm not the only one. :). I really enjoyed my mission and even extended, but was glad when it was over and I could move on to the next phase of my life. For years I had a recurring dream where I was called on a second mission. In these dreams, I never wanted to go, but I always accepted because that's what you do.