Calvery Chapel Pastor Visit

Anakin7

In  years past on occasion I have visited a local Calvery Chapel and attended there services [ There are 3 in the town where I reside ] and have had some great conversations with The Head Pastor and members there. I have not been there for some time due to serving the Lord in Church responsibilities and family responsibilities over the years. Yesterday while working at a local Costco doing a demo I saw this latino man hanging around my area and looking at me. After 5-10 minites I told him he looked familiar and asked where I knew him from. He told me his name and then I recognized him as The Pastor of the Calvery Chapel I had visited in the past. We briefly talked about how we both were doing since we last saw each other and talked about a mutual friend of ours who was a member of his Calvery Chapel congregation but now is LDS [ Which he had no problem with from what I observed]. Our friend has been struggling with a # of temporal challenges which the Pastor and I seperatly have tried to help this individual with.

I asked him if he believes that he will see some Mormons in Heaven, in which he replied - "Yes of course" and agree's with Billy Graham's assesment that only 1 person who has ever walked on this earth has the right to say who goes to Heaven or not. I thanked him for his honesty and said God Bless you to him in which he said God Bless you back to me. Just wanted to share this, written words cannot convey the feeling of our brief encounter but it was a God Thing [ As some of my Evanglical friends would say].

The Atonement It Is The Central Doctrine -   Bruce R. McConkie

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

Edited by Anakin7

Anakin 7, thanks for sharing!! I believe there are fundamentalists in both Evangelical and LDS churches besides many others. Too bad we sometimes lump each other in the wrong categories. ETA: Meaning fundamentalists tend to say everyone that doesn't believe the way they do are going to hell.

Edited by Tacenda

Anakin 7, thanks for sharing!! I believe there are fundamentalists in both Evangelical and LDS churches besides many others. Too bad we sometimes lump each other in the wrong categories. ETA: Meaning fundamentalists tend to say everyone that doesn't believe the way they do are going to hell.

Am I still a fundamentalist if I believe everyone can get out of hell by repenting and believing as I do.... Or better I do I suppose.

I am not Mormon, but I do have a few new friends who are. I kept hearing people at my old church make judgmental statements against Mormons, yet never really invested in talking to any or getting to know what they were all about. So I contact a few Mormon sisters and with their help and another guy, I learned. I am not Mormon, but having Mormon friends and that is just fine with me. As long as their heart is good with intentions, they are good people like anyone regardless of their faith. I belong to a new church that is not approving of Mormons, but at least they don’t express blind judgments about Mormons.

I also have attended a Calvary church with in a mile from my new church. There is at least 5 or more Calvary churches in my area. My sister-in-law belongs to Calvary church. I was not comfortable with their preaching style or focus. They felt to much like a cookie cutter franchise church not suiting themselves to their local community needs or people. As long as they preach and teach and practice the true word of God, I am not going to have an issue with them either.

Who am I to judge others when my only true right to judge is to be upon myself and own life....

In  years past on occasion I have visited a local Calvery Chapel and attended there services [ There are 3 in the town where I reside ] and have had some great conversations with The Head Pastor and members there. I have not been there for some time due to serving the Lord in Church responsibilities and family responsibilities over the years. Yesterday while working at a local Costco doing a demo I saw this latino man hanging around my area and looking at me. After 5-10 minites I told him he looked familiar and asked where I knew him from. He told me his name and then I recognized him as The Pastor of the Calvery Chapel I had visited in the past. We briefly talked about how we both were doing since we last saw each other and talked about a mutual friend of ours who was a member of his Calvery Chapel congregation but now is LDS [ Which he had no problem with from what I observed]. Our friend has been struggling with a # of temporal challenges which the Pastor and I seperatly have tried to help this individual with.

I asked him if he believes that he will see some Mormons in Heaven, in which he replied - "Yes of course" and agree's with Billy Graham's assesment that only 1 person who has ever walked on this earth has the right to say who goes to Heaven or not. I thanked him for his honesty and said God Bless you to him in which he said God Bless you back to me. Just wanted to share this, written words cannot convey the feeling of our brief encounter but it was a God Thing [ As some of my Evanglical friends would say].

The Atonement It Is The Central Doctrine -   Bruce R. McConkie

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

Bravo, Anakin,

The Chapellites and their founder, Pastor Chuck Smith (Costa Mesa, Calif), are all on fire for the Lord, and I very much appreciate their Christian radio network.  They do a wonderful job of getting people ready to hear the Gospel preached by Mormon elders.

Chuck Smith from my understanding before he passed away stated that he thought that Mormons were Christian and that he would see some in Heaven.

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

I heard that too but if true emphasis on "some". When I was in Boise a few years ago, there were at least two people that were investigating but stopped due to the influence of Calvary Chapel. Though individual members opinions may vary, as an organization they think we are a cult.

Chuck Smith from my understanding before he passed away stated that he thought that Mormons were Christian and that he would see some in Heaven.

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

Correct, although he said "a lot" rather than "some."

K-WAVE “Pastor’s Perspective,” Calvary Chapel Radio Program, November 9, 2011, at minute 36:40, online at http://www.kwve.com/podcasts/Pastor’s Perspective 11_09_11.m4a

Pastor Chuck Smith:  “It all depends on their relationship with Jesus Christ, and there are a lot of good Mormons who do believe in Jesus and I believe they’ll be in heaven, uh but uh you know we can’t do it on our own righteousness or our own works, we have to depend on Jesus for our entrance into heaven.”