Guilt Question

LOSTONE

Is there any emotion worst then the one of feeling guilt?

Before I was reborn, I was evil. I rather not share what that means, but I am sure others can relate to what I mean. Every now and then, I feel this incredible load of guilt on me for certain past things I’ve done. The guilt gets so bad that it can stop my day in place and bring me down hardcore. Sinner saved still suffering?

The most difficult step in the repentance process is learning to forgive oneself.  It appears that is left to be done; the Savior has long since forgotten what it was you did. 

That is so true... I know that my repentence was acceptable for all my sins/transgressions during the many years I walked in the world.  Even so, I do from time to time feel the tremendous burden of remorse pressing on me.  I actually cringe at some of my choices... so I go back to my two favorite scriptures...

Isaiah 1:18

D&C 58:42

I cling to these.... among others... and ponder the spiritual experiences I've had since returning to my faith.

GG

Guilt is intended to move us to full and complete repentance.  If I were in your place, when such feelings came upon me, I would consider whether there is something else I should be doing to make restitution, or to maintain a changed heart.   And if I determined there was not, I would then consider whether those feelings of guilt were something I had yet to give to God.    Once you experience the Atonement, you may still regret what you did and the consequences (in fact this is likely), but you will no longer feel overwhelming guilt of the "I'm less than a worm  and really evil" variety.

Before I was reborn, I was evil. I rather not share what that means, but I am sure others can relate to what I mean. Every now and then, I feel this incredible load of guilt on me for certain past things I’ve done. The guilt gets so bad that it can stop my day in place and bring me down hardcore. Sinner saved still suffering?

Anytime Satan reminds you of your past. Remind him of his future.

Yes The feeling of being totally alone.

Once you experience the Atonement, you may still regret what you did and the consequences (in fact this is likely), but you will no longer feel overwhelming guilt of the "I'm less than a worm  and really evil" variety.

Yes, I do regret the "wasted" years spiritually, but I don't have the "guilt" thing.  And I often give thanks for the atonement as I say my prayers... I can't imagine not having the blessing of the atonement. 

GG

Lostone, when I have struggled with guilt it helped me to compare the responses of Peter and Judas to guilt.  Judas felt guilty for betraying Jesus, but instead of asking for forgiveness he punished himself.  Peter also betrayed Jesus, but he trusted Jesus and went running to him the next time he saw him. 

God wants us to repent of our sins and be sorry for having done them, but he doesn't want us to continually beat ourselves up over them.  Jesus took on the punishment for us.  His blood completely paid the cost.  There's nothing we can do that can add to that, and there shouldn't be, because if there was -- if we had to not only accept Jesus' sacrificial death, but punish ourselves in some way -- it would mean Jesus' death alone wasn't sufficient, despite his being God the Son.  God wants you to trust that he has paid the price in full and redeemed you, that he is both willing and able to save you.

Talked to my pastor friend yesterday about this guilt thing I can’t shake. He said that I am unknowingly holding onto regrets I have not made peace with and therefore, not healed from enough to let go. Makes sense in a way. But the making peace part is hard. I am not an angel or saint, but I am not a ******* either. I don’t enjoy knowing I have hurt people. Human and all, it makes me feel like crap, especially when I can’t repair the pain I’ve caused. Making peace with that situation is very hard and yet seems to be the only way to be free of the guilt enough. Ugh.... Life can be such a royal snot. :sorry:

Talked to my pastor friend yesterday about this guilt thing I can’t shake. He said that I am unknowingly holding onto regrets I have not made peace with and therefore, not healed from enough to let go. Makes sense in a way. But the making peace part is hard. I am not an angel or saint, but I am not a ******* either. I don’t enjoy knowing I have hurt people. Human and all, it makes me feel like crap, especially when I can’t repair the pain I’ve caused. Making peace with that situation is very hard and yet seems to be the only way to be free of the guilt enough. Ugh.... Life can be such a royal snot. :sorry:

Rely on the Atonement of Jesus Christ.