Seriously No Politics ×

Speaking In Tongues

I have attended a few evangelical services where people would stand up and start speaking in tongues. To me it seemed to be babbling, repeating the same syllables over and over the way many people do when pretending to speak a different language. That is the way I perceive it anyways and I do not doubt that my own doctrinal biases have tainted my observing skills. The only record of speaking in tongues recorded in the bible is when the apostles spoke in the languages of those present. I am not aware of any biblical examples of speaking a mysterious dialect that nobody understood. 

In the early years of the church, there are records of people speaking in unknown tongues and another person would stand to interpret it but such a manifestations stopped occurring within a generation as far as I am aware. 

One of the institute manuals states the following

"D&C 46:24–25. The Gift of Tongues

This is one of the most misunderstood gifts. The Lord may grant the gift of speaking in tongues to give an unusual message or communicate with those who speak a different language, as on the day of Pentecost (seeActs 2:4–12). But newly-called missionaries who quickly grasp a foreign language may also be experiencing the gift of tongues.

Because this gift is often counterfeited and used to deceive, the Prophet Joseph Smith warned: “Be not so curious about tongues, do not speak in tongues except there be an interpreter present; the ultimate design of tongues is to speak to foreigners, and if persons are very anxious to display their intelligence, let them speak to such in their own tongues. The gifts of God are all useful in their place, but when they are applied to that which God does not intend, they prove an injury, a snare and a curse instead of a blessing.” (History of the Church, 5:31–32; see also1 Corinthians 14:1–25.)"

My question is:
What is the evangelical explanation for speaking in unknown tongues, how is it justified through the scriptures, and how is it different that what we read about in early church history. 

There is a lot written and debated even among evangelicals on this topic. 

Here's a FAQ from the AG church. It might help answer some questions as to the doctrinal basis behind it. 

http://ag.org/top/Beliefs/topics/baptmhs_faq_tongues.cfm

I have attended a few evangelical services where people would stand up and start speaking in tongues. To me it seemed to be babbling, repeating the same syllables over and over the way many people do when pretending to speak a different language. That is the way I perceive it anyways and I do not doubt that my own doctrinal biases have tainted my observing skills.

While on my mission, I (we) encountered a young woman from the "boondocks" who had never heard English before. As I spoke she began to laugh. I realized that I must have sounded very funny to her. So, I said just a few things to cause her to laugh even more. You know, stuff like,

She sells sea shell by the sea shore,

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood,

Betty bought some butter but the butter Betty bought was bitter, so Betty bought some better butter to make the bitter butter better, but the bitter butter made the better butter bitter.

She about fell off her chair in laughter.

Where I served we taught in English, even though English was a second language to the natives (or third, or forth as the case may have been). There were several occasions where I understood what people were telling me (in their not so good English) even though what they actually said was just the opposite of what they really meant.

Edited by Vance

Why do we ask missionaries who are called to foreign missions to bear their testimonies in their mission language?

Does that edify anyone?

To test to see if anyone has the Gift of Interpreting Tongues of course. Duh....

I have seen just about every gift in my life in one way or another including glossolalia. If you haven't see enough of the gifts ask God why. I'm dead serious. The way to find the Gifts in action is to live so God can show you and ask for the things. That said the Gift of Tongues is, according to Paul, a lesser Gift. I agree with him. Prophecy is much more fun.

To test to see if anyone has the Gift of Interpreting Tongues of course. Duh....

I have seen just about every gift in my life in one way or another including glossolalia. If you haven't see enough of the gifts ask God why. I'm dead serious. The way to find the Gifts in action is to live so God can show you and ask for the things. That said the Gift of Tongues is, according to Paul, a lesser Gift. I agree with him. Prophecy is much more fun.

I am not sure what you are saying.  I do not speak Spanish, yet I often understand every word of prayers given in Spanish.  Maybe 50% of the time.  But that's not glossolalia. It think that is genuine communication by the spirit.

How is glossolalia a gift of the spirit?  

How does speaking in random syllables edify the speaker ?  Are you saying the speaker is actually giving a hidden message that only those in tune can hear?

Does the speaker know the message?

Edited by mfbukowski

How is glossolalia a gift of the spirit?  

How does speaking in random syllables edify the speaker ?  Are you saying the speaker is actually giving a hidden message that only those in tune can hear?

Does the speaker know the message?

The very few times I have experienced glossolalia I do not think it was random syllables. They all happened in prayer when I was trying to communicate something and words failed. Yeah, I know what I meant. I am not sure if the syllables were random or if it was some language I do not know from this world or some other. I do know it was edifying.

I have never seen speaking in an unknown tongue in front of a group but my understanding is that God is supposed to provide someone to interpret. If He does not you can ignore it as babbling.

That being said when I was a teen a friend and I talked briefly about faking the gift in a church meeting and then having the other make up an interpretation. We gave up the project when we decided that while it might be fun the hell we might go to would be rather boring.

When I get sick and have a high fever I have found myself speaking in tongues, some unknown language that surely must be a plea for help. 

Yo don't know what you are saying yourself?

How do you know it is an "unknown language" and not just delirium?

The very few times I have experienced glossolalia I do not think it was random syllables. They all happened in prayer when I was trying to communicate something and words failed. Yeah, I know what I meant. I am not sure if the syllables were random or if it was some language I do not know from this world or some other. I do know it was edifying.

I have never seen speaking in an unknown tongue in front of a group but my understanding is that God is supposed to provide someone to interpret. If He does not you can ignore it as babbling.

That being said when I was a teen a friend and I talked briefly about faking the gift in a church meeting and then having the other make up an interpretation. We gave up the project when we decided that while it might be fun the hell we might go to would be rather boring.

Thank you.

I find that very interesting, and quite surprising.

I have some very deeply held convictions about the nature of language which perhaps prevent me from letting go enough to experience that, but for the record, I do not discount the "validity" of what you are telling me.

Very interesting.

Edited by mfbukowski

Have you heard glossolalia in LDS meetings?

Has anyone?

Edited by mfbukowski

Thank you.

I find that very interesting, and quite surprising.

I have some very deeply held convictions about the nature of language which perhaps prevent me from letting go enough to experience that, but for the record, I do not discount the "validity" of what you are telling me.

Very interesting.

I do want to be clear that these were minor spiritual experiences (happened to me twice) and I am not even sure what they were. I am pretty sure it was Tongues but not absolutely certain. I agree with Paul that Prophecy, for example, is better. Given the choice between Tongues and Angels or Visions I will pass on the former.

Have you heard glossolalia in LDS meetings?

Has anyone?

No, I have heard of it happening but I do not have any documentation nor have I personally heard it.