Seriously No Politics ×

Reputation Points?

name

Hello all,

What exactly is this "reputation point" business all about?

Is it something you give to a post that you agree with?

Is it something you give to signify that you thought a post was worthy/valuable?

Is it something that is given by the same people, to the same people, all over the board?

What is it?

Can someone help me with its origin and to understand its purpose?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the replies strappinglad and cinepro!

I suspect the reasons are as varied as the number of people who take the time to give them.  There are no rules.  You just "click", and they magically appear.

Interesting! 

I can say that I will always give one to any post that makes me chuckle, any post where I learn something new, any post that seems like a person put a lot of thought or effort into it, or any post that says exactly what I was going to say.

Well, having this information (and knowing that it was you who gave me my very first reputation point :)), I am confident, given the above options, that a caused chuckle is the reason! :)

Hello all,What exactly is this "reputation point" business all about?Is it something you give to a post that you agree with?Is it something you give to signify that you thought a post was worthy/valuable?Is it something that is given by the same people, to the same people, all over the board?What is it?Can someone help me with its origin and to understand its purpose?Thanks in advance!

You give as many as you can to Nehor and do what you like with the rest.

Yeah, um, about rep points.  You know that part in the Revelation of John about the Mark of the Beast? :diablo:

Edited by Kenngo1969

Rep points diminish the need to muddy up a thread with a lot of comments affirming agreement. Sometimes one wants to express their approval without adding any substantial comment, and rep points are a quick substitute for making a post to that effect.

Hi 3DOP!

Rep points diminish the need to muddy up a thread with a lot of comments affirming agreement. Sometimes one wants to express their approval without adding any substantial comment, and rep points are a quick substitute for making a post to that effect.

This makes perfect sense!

Thanks! :)

(Going to attempt giving you my first "reputation point")

When you give someone a rep point you're basically saying you like what that person said and thus qualify as a groveling sycophant that person can use to bolster his or her ego.

I think calmoriah still has more rep points and groveling sycophants than anyone else but for some reason she has failed to fully capitalize on the power conveyed in each and every rep point her groveling sychophants have given to her.

She still has a lot of good things to say though and we can only hope she will soon reveal more and greater things than she has already told us.

You can also apply a formula dividing your number of posts by the number of rep points you have to determine how much your comments annoy the people here, you say a lot of things that nobody agrees with (low percent) vs how persuasive you can be or occasionally how entertaining you are (high percent). 

That is = 1000 posts w/ 50 rep points  = 5% :angry:

1000 posts w/ 500 rep points - 50%  ...insert Sally Fields voice "You LIke Me, You Really Like Me"

Edited by JLHPROF

You can also apply a formula dividing your number of posts by the number of rep points you have to determine how much your comments annoy the people here, you say a lot of things that nobody agrees with (low percent) vs how persuasive you can be or occasionally how entertaining you are (high percent). 

That is = 1000 posts w/ 50 rep points  = 5% :angry:

1000 posts w/ 500 rep points - 50%  ...insert Sally Fields voice "You LIke Me, You Really Like Me"

Interesting, but for us old timers, "rep points" weren't around for the majority of our posts.

When you give someone a rep point you're basically saying you like what that person said and thus qualify as a groveling sycophant that person can use to bolster his or her ego.

"You took the words right out of my mouth PJ."

-Little John as Duke of Chuttney in Robin Hood

I think calmoriah also may give more rep points than anyone else, which I really appreciate.

I've said it before, but I'll reiterate: calmoriah's rep point count is all the more remarkable in that she doesn't have calmoriah to give her rep points. Edited by Scott Lloyd

Didn't they start in 2010 or so?  It really hasn't been that long.

Well, considering 22% (or 1/5 of your posts) has a rep point that would put your percentage much higher if they'd been around longer.  People must agree with you a lot.  (I know I do).

I've said it before, but I'll reiterate: calmoriah's rep point count is all the more remarkable in that she doesn't have calmoriah to give her rep points.

No kidding,

I think she has given a rep point to every post where someone has been replying to me.

LOL!

I'm thinking that since I only have 3 (and 2 of those were from this thread, I think) that I'm not everybody's favorite poster.....................Yet! :)

I'm thinking that since I only have 3 (and 2 of those were from this thread, I think) that I'm not everybody's favorite poster.....................Yet! :)

You're new...

Incidentally, I was surprised to see you say you're not LDS... I thought you were.  Anyway, did you give introductory info?  If not, how about sharing some general info on what area you're in... approx age... interests... whatever you feel comfortable sharing.  I always ask that important question... Are you a dog person... or a cat person? :)

Me, I'm widowed, no children, the proverbial old woman who lives with her cat (Bob, 20 lbs) in a cottage-by-the-sea on the beautiful central Oregon coast... welcome to the Board... I do think you'll like it here...

GG

Hello Garden Girl! :)

You're new...

You are way too kind, precious and gentle of a human being for me to not be entirely honest with you.

I am not really new. I used to be a member here many moons ago (banned), I cam back under a new name for a personal reason that is entirely unimportant.

Incidentally, I was surprised to see you say you're not LDS... I thought you were.

No, I am a never-Mo who finds Mormonism fascinating on many levels.

Anyway, did you give introductory info?  If not, how about sharing some general info on what area you're in... approx age... interests... whatever you feel comfortable sharing.

I'm a 46 year old male. Married with 2 kids. In my past life here at the MDDB, I went by the name "Ceeboo."

I always ask that important question... Are you a dog person... or a cat person? :)

I am a dog person - we have a mini bulldog named Sookie.

Me, I'm widowed, no children, the proverbial old woman who lives with her cat (Bob, 20 lbs) in a cottage-by-the-sea on the beautiful central Oregon coast... welcome to the Board... I do think you'll like it here...

GG

I know!

I remember you from my time here before.....very fondly for what it worth. :)

Peace and blessing to you, GG.

I give rep points to people who supply answers for others' questions as well as when I enjoy a post, just happy to see someone post if they havent for awhile or I think someone has put significant effort into a discussion while a lso making it highly accessible...footnotes will almost always get them from me (besides wiki or really flaky stuff) unless I am out of points for the day.

I do get 50 a day to give out, all contributor level do, I believe, but I still manage to use them all up most days.

Edited by calmoriah

You are way too kind, precious and gentle of a human being for me to not be entirely honest with you.

I am not really new. I used to be a member here many moons ago (banned), I cam back under a new name for a personal reason that is entirely unimportant.

No, I am a never-Mo who finds Mormonism fascinating on many levels.

I'm a 46 year old male. Married with 2 kids. In my past life here at the MDDB, I went by the name "Ceeboo."

I am a dog person - we have a mini bulldog named Sookie.

I know!

Ceeboo? Welcome back. I was thinking of you the other day...mainly because of this song about you I still get in my head once in a while. It goes Ceeboo Ceeboo, lalalalalalala Ceeboo, Ceeboo. And then you repeat the lyrics. It gets monotonous. Maybe somebody got tired of your song and they had to ban you. Heh. I hope you are safe under your new name, name.

Rory

I know!

Ceeboo!!!  I remember you also... hmmm, so you got banned, eh?  Well, let's hope for better times now... I see 3DOP  remembers you, and I'm quite sure others do also... so, welcome back.  I hope this finds you and your family well and happy.

from the beach... GG