Seriously No Politics ×

Question: Are All Men Really Created Equal?

I have heard many, many Christians make the statement “ God created all men equal ”, however, I did lots of in depth Bible research in multiple Bible versions, I have not come up with even one scripture that states that or anything similar to that. So, is there scripture of such statement or is this statement just of mankind’s own personal theology?

**( I am not asking to start a debate or wonder if the matter has merit or not. I am only asking to find out if such a statement as this has a truthful foundation in Bible scripture. Nothing more. )**

There is a verse in the Book of Mormon that says something similar. But I can't think of one from the bible other than john 3:16, which seems to teach that God offers salvation equally to all mankind, because He loves us all.

I don't think observation or common sense allows us to believe that all men are created equal.  There are scriptures in Mormonism that show they are not created equal.  I would have to dig in the Bible a bit to find similar scriptures but I am sure they are there too.

One that springs to mind is Jeremiah 1:5 - "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations."

Clearly not all men are created to be prophets to nations.

Men are not created equal, they are not equal at the time of their creation, they will not be equal in the next existence.  I think the notion of all men being equal is a nice thought not borne out in fact.

I think that this concept of equality is something that grew out of European Christian thought during the Enlightenment.  After all, you can't really have equality before God in the sense we usually think of, not when it comes down to the fact that Israel are the chosen people.

My answer to your question is: this is not a biblical doctrine.  I may be wrong, but that is my sense of it.

Although, I will say that even though it is not biblical, this does not mean that it is not doctrinal.  I believe it is doctrinal.

I have heard many, many Christians make the statement “ God created all men equal ”, however, I did lots of in depth Bible research in multiple Bible versions, I have not come up with even one scripture that states that or anything similar to that. So, is there scripture of such statement or is this statement just of mankind’s own personal theology?

**( I am not asking to start a debate or wonder if the matter has merit or not. I am only asking to find out if such a statement as this has a truthful foundation in Bible scripture. Nothing more. )**

All men and women are equal in all their weakness, and through Christ, each can be overcome...or the strength to deal with a weakness that cannot be overcome.

It would appear that sadly, there is to be no real proof ( Bible scripture ) that man ( women included ) are all created equal. It is a mere creative notion of early Americans in their founding words as their nation was first being born. So sad this it seems to be a valid conclusion.

However... We are all equal in the love of Christ our Lord and to that, no greater satisfaction can be embraced or given to humanity.

I was created equal to a certain Nobel-Prize-winning physicist.  Equal in the sense that we share an IQ number.  He helped shake up the world (Manhattan Project).  His name is associated with a certain widely-used system of notation that is very helpful in quantum field theory. My name?  Can't even Google me because my name is too common.  I am not going to shake up anything.  I've pretty well shot my wad, and I've contributed darned little to the world.

But I was created equal to him.

The most important thing is, regardless of your abilities, what are you going to do with your allotted resources and time?

I was created equal to a certain Nobel-Prize-winning physicist. Equal in the sense that we share an IQ number. He helped shake up the world (Manhattan Project). His name is associated with a certain widely-used system of notation that is very helpful in quantum field theory. My name? Can't even Google me because my name is too common. I am not going to shake up anything. I've pretty well shot my wad, and I've contributed darned little to the world.

But I was created equal to him.

The most important thing is, regardless of your abilities, what are you going to do with your allotted resources and time?

What you said sparked my memory to yesterday. I helped my little brother by driving him into town to p/u tools for a construction job he was starting. He didn't have a car or a license, he has a past of alcohol issues and bad choices. Anyway, he said something pretty profound that I didn't comprehend at first, then he said, "see I'm pretty smart, just make dumb choices". I told him, "yeah, I'm dumb and have made better choices". So maybe my brother and I weren't created equal but were equalized by our choices. But over a life span he might start making better ones, while I make worse ones. Just as your situation with the Nobel Prize winner. He did make a difference and is well known but Stargazer you still make a difference to people w/o their knowledge of your real name here but also on your blog with your name. You may have even reached or helped more people than he for all you know.

The scriptures have many stories that show men are NOT created equal. The story of the man born blind and Christ's answer to the apostles about the reason comes to mind. In one sense we are equal in that we are all unique, and as BC said , that was so from the spirit stage or before.

No Bible verse that I know of does such.

If you mean equal in the sense that each came to earth with a plan for exactly what they needed to return to Him, then yes each has been created equal.  Equally able to meet the purpose of life, yes.  Equal in terms of how God loves us (though not necessarily our choices).  Yes.   Equal in access to blessings and eventually all that He has.  Yes, when we do what such blessings are predicated upon.  

If you think "equal" means the same,  we can all see that isn't true.

And even when those words were penned in the Declaration of Independence, the author knew plainly that people of color were not equal.

Equal in access to blessings and eventually all that He has.  Yes, when we do what such blessings are predicated upon.  

But not equal in access to those laws and blessings.  There have been many who lived and died without them.  They were created with inequality in situation.  Fortunately, our loving God will provide future opportunities of access.  Just not at the time of creation.

Alma 13 insists that all men are created equal. They are not born equal. One reason is due to premortal worthiness. Another is that God designed this life unequally. The parable of the 12 sons in the Doctrine and Covenants Section 38, one of the harshest parables ever:

25 And again I say unto you, let every man esteem his brother as himself.

26 For what man among you having twelve sons, and is no respecter of them, and they serve him obediently, and he saith unto the one: Be thou clothed in robes and sit thou here; and to the other: Be thou clothed in rags and sit thou there—and looketh upon his sons and saith I am just?

27 Behold, this I have given unto you as a parable, and it is even as I am. I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine.

God says that no one would have 12 sons who all serve him equally well and will bless one and leave another to go without but then says that he (God) did exactly that. Then he tells us to be one or we are not his. In other words inequality is the way we enter this world. I am pretty sure it applies in many spheres and not just the obvious economic one. Then we are told to be one or He will reject us. In other words this inequality is for us to rectify. Wealth, spiritual gifts, good mental and emotional health, a decent intellect, charisma, physical beauty, etc. are not necessarily indicators that you did more to deserve them either in this life or before the world was.

That which you quote I believe needs some context.  All are created equal in the eyes of God but not in all physical attributes or economic circumstances.

I'm not sure that these verses say that all men were created equal (I'm not even sure that this is logically possible). However, these verses do seem to speak to an obligation to TREAT EACH OTHER equally (whatever that might mean).

Galatians 3:28 ESV

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 3:9-11 ESV

Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator. Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all, and in all.

Acts 10:34 ESV

So Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, ..."

Alma 13 insists that all men are created equal. They are not born equal. One reason is due to premortal worthiness. Another is that God designed this life unequally.

Alma 13 only states that we were all "on the same standing", which can be interpreted as we all had the same opportunity.  I think we are all intrinsically unique and different and unequal, but God loves us all and provides us all the same eternal opportunities to become as He is.

In other words inequality is the way we enter this world. I am pretty sure it applies in many spheres and not just the obvious economic one. Then we are told to be one or He will reject us. In other words this inequality is for us to rectify. Wealth, spiritual gifts, good mental and emotional health, a decent intellect, charisma, physical beauty, etc. are not necessarily indicators that you did more to deserve them either in this life or before the world was.

Amen.  I believe that serving and being served, and the fact that this world (and the gospel) requires it, is one of the greatest lessons in this life.

I think that these two passages support the idea that all men are God’s children and are thus created equal.

Acts 17:

24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

25 Neither is worshipped with men’s hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;

27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

Romans 8:

16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,

21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God’s elect? It is God that justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I think that these two passages support the idea that all men are God’s children

Yes!

and are thus created equal.

Not seeing how this follows, unless you mean equally loved and equally given opportunities to avail ourselves of that love via the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Or maybe that since we are all children of God we equally deserve love one from another.

I mean obviously we aren't born physically equal -- I'm scrawny whereas my brother is not. And we obviously aren't born mentally equal, or emotionally equal, or socially equal, etc. The scriptures state that in the pre-mortal existence we weren't even spiritually equal then.

Not only are men NOT created equal, but scripturally there is always someone above every one of us -

"And the Lord said unto me: These two facts do exist, that there are two spirits, one being more intelligent than the other; there shall be another more intelligent than they; I am the Lord thy God, I am more intelligent than they all."  Abraham 3:21

and of course, some were chosen for higher purposes -

"And God saw these souls that they were good, and he stood in the midst of them, and he said: These I will make my rulers; for he stood among those that were spirits, and he saw that they were good; and he said unto me: Abraham, thou art one of them; thou wast chosen before thou wast born." Abraham 3:23

I would suggest that It makes the most sense as a political concept made use of by Thomas Jefferson in the Declaration of Independence.  "We hold these truths to be self-evident..." It is not used to say that each individual is born with equal potential for virtue, intelligence, or industry. In the context, it means that each man was born with God-given rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. There are obvious qualifications to be made. The man who is unjust toward his neighbor may correctly be deprived of his equal rights to liberty or even life. I doubt Jefferson would say this, but I would add that in principle, no man has the right to "pursue happiness" in a fashion that is contrary to the revealed laws of the same God who bestowed upon him the political rights aforementioned.