Seriously No Politics ×

Youth Temple Recommend Interviews

Rain

DS lost his recommend that he got in another ward prior to this one.  He called the exec. sec. who told him to see a counselor on Sunday.  My impression was that youth were always supposed to see the bishop for a recommend, but I can't find it in handbook 2. Am I just a bad searcher, is it in handbook 1 or am I wrong about him needing to see the bishop?

I thought this was going to be another one of those "I'm-a-parent-and-I-need-to-hear-the-gory-details-as-he-delivers-them-to-the-Bishop" threads (a bad idea, because legally, it may destroy the confidentiality of the confessional if something potentially criminal is discussed) ...

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway ...

Carry on! :D;)

I thought the first interview for one's own endowment had to be the bishop, but other than that.

In my ward the bishop takes care of interviews for people with expired recommends, the counselors everyone else.  I'm not aware of any church policy that says this, but it seems to be a nice arrangement that works for the bishopric.

DS lost his recommend that he got in another ward prior to this one.  He called the exec. sec. who told him to see a counselor on Sunday.  My impression was that youth were always supposed to see the bishop for a recommend, but I can't find it in handbook 2. Am I just a bad searcher, is it in handbook 1 or am I wrong about him needing to see the bishop?

Councilors can do youth temple recommends. The Bishop is required to do an annual and a semi-annual interview with each of the youth in his ward.

The most recent handbook included many changes allowing counselors to do things previously done by bishops, such as baptismal interviews and patriarchal blessing interviews. Limited use recommends for temple are included. I haven't been a bishop for two years, but as best I recall, bishops are supposed to do TR interviews for people who have been in the ward for less than a year.

Of course, this isn't a rule that it would be the end of the world for if a counselor were to renew a recommend for a new person, lost recommend, etc. That's just the current "way it's supposed to be" intent.

Edited by rongo

A bit to obsessive in our need to help perhaps?  :)

I think all of us feeling we had something to contribute scared bookisblue away….she did read a lot before she left though it would seem.

ERayR: bishops are supposed to do annual youth interviews; counselors can do the semi-annual ones.

Of course, the bishop could do all of them, if he wanted to or it worked out that way.

I stand corrected.  Thanks.