Seriously No Politics ×

I've Been Invited To An Lds Church. I'm New..

TJUSS

Good evening.

I have recently been invited to a Church of Jesus Christ by a person I used to work with.

I'm in the process of trying to find a church where I feel comfortable.

Can someone please help me?

Maybe with some background, service informations (customs/whatnot.)

What the church believes.

Attire.

Anything? I don't want to look like a complete idiot!

Thanks in advance! :)

Good evening.

I have recently been invited to a Church of Jesus Christ by a person I used to work with.

Attire.

The name of our church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 

Customs vary from country to country in which we are in. We are generally friendly, dress modestly, avoid the use of alcohol; tobacco, coffee, tea. and recreational drugs.

A thumbnail sketch of what we believe is in our Articles of Faith. 

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/a-of-f/1?lang=eng

We don't have a dress code, but do dress modestly. You will feel more comfortable. We believe in Air Conditioning so our chapels can be quite cool especially after sitting for an hour. :lol:

Welcome TJUSS...

We love visitors... and what we call "investigators" who have questions, etc.  Don't be nervous... oh, one thing about "culture" in attending our services... let me relate an experience of a new person in my ward (local congregation)... she was from another faith that used to clap their hands and shout out Hallelujah and Amen... we don't do that in our services, so the first time she shouted Hallelujah it took everyone by surprise... I think she must have noticed because she doesn't do that anymore...

Culture:

Our church buildings are called "meeting houses."

The members make up a "ward."

We are part of a "stake" comprised of 4 or 5 wards (the "stake" being like the stake that is central to holding up a tent)

Usually only members partake of the sacrament (because of covenants we renew each week during sacrament that non-members have not made)... but if a non member does take the  sacrament, it's no big deal.  We don't say anything.

For a woman, "modest" clothing means no skirts that are too short... in fact you'll notice that most wear them just below the knee or to mid-calf... no low necklines... no spaghetti straps even in warmer areas.

We call each other "brother" and "sister" because we believe we are all spiritual bros and sisters in Christ.

Our "bishop" (pastor) has a regular job during the week... the speakers are members of the ward...

I live in a ward on the beautiful central Oregon coast... we get tons of visitors every week during the summer as we are a resort city (town actually)... and we love our visitors and try and make them feel as comfortable as possible. All wards do...  We are normally a small ward, so in the summer when our numbers increase dramatically, the visitors help out... like the boys help pass sacrament... others help play the piano or organ if needed...

Again, welcome... and I hope you have a good experience attending...

from the beach... GG

Good evening.

Attire.

So that I don't get in trouble for not warning another person...don't bring a travel mug of coffee.

The thought just occurred to me... there is another church that calls itself the Church of Jesus Christ that is not "Mormon" like our Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints... which church is it that you will be attending?  I hope it's ours...

GG

edit to add:  Oh, never mind... I just noticed that in the title of this thread that you refer to the "LDS" church... and that is us... :)

Edited by Garden Girl

The thought just occurred to me... there is another church that calls itself the Church of Jesus Christ that is not "Mormon" like our Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints... which church is it that you will be attending?  I hope it's ours...

GG

edit to add:  Oh, never mind... I just noticed that in the title of this thread that you refer to the "LDS" church... and that is us... :)

Boy...that can be confusing :)

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening.

Attire.

Relax. The first time I entered a Mormon church I was Muslim and wore Abaya and Hijab (Head Scarf). No one said a thing.

Then later, two elders asked me to help them with a practical joke. We went out to the Portland Visitor's Center. They were going to interpret for me and I wore complete Niqab with Abaya. Only eyes showed. We walked in there and for several minutes I pretended not to speak English and the Elders pretended to um translate. :)  We had not foreseen that the Mission President would be there, and when he walked into the room I was so shocked that I started giggling, spoiling the whole prank. I did not get in trouble but we did agree that I would not do that again. :)

Oh, if you are woman, then no pants.

Pants are okay by guidebook standards…just hasn't been adapted due to tradition yet, the vast majority of women don't wear them…those who do generally have to work on Sundays or have health issues that pants work better with, but the number who just wear them for overall comfort or to save money because Sunday would be the only day they wore dresses while they already have dress pants for work is growing.  Dress pants would work best for not sticking out.  The important thing for comfort if you want to not stand out as a visitor is to wear nice clothing, not real dressy, what used to be called Sunday best but if you have professional business clothing that works as well.

The clothing issue is for not standing out if you don't want to.  As long as you are clean and modest, most won't care whether it is casual or dressier. 

Edited by calmoriah

So that I don't get in trouble for not warning another person...don't bring a travel mug of coffee.

:D:rofl::D