Seriously No Politics ×

Update

Opps found it hard to keep checking forums while I was away on my United States trip. But for all those I was talking to before I left.

We got to do California. Nevada. Utah. Arizona. New Mexico. Colorado. Texas. Oklahoma. Arkansas.Kentuky. Tennessee. Mississippi. Alabama. Florida. Georgia. South Carolina and North Carolina.

We were suppose to see Virginia. Maryland. New Jersey. PENNSYLVANIA. And New York but we got bad news that my gf mum had took a turn for the worst. We cancelled the last part of the trip. And she passed away a week after we got home.

But it was a pretty good U.S experience.

We stayed in Salt Lake City. And the drive there was amazing seeing all the mountains.

We ate at Applebys one night. And took a walk around the Temple and other things in that area. I did notice there didnt seem to be an over abundant of people walking around. And on the day it hailed I was very sick and pretty much lounged around in the south office near the temple which was run by the Sisters. Who took the time to talk to me.

post-27223-0-12896100-1402921370_thumb.j

Edited by PtolemyGlenn

I, too, am sorry about your gf's mum, PG, but glad you were able to get back home when you did.

That was a lot of states to visit... Each is lovely in its own way... not only in topography but in cultures and history... I forget how you were travelling... do you feel you had enough time to do some exploring to get a feel for each state?  Regions of the U.S. are very different from one another... for instance, here in the Pacific Northwest it's very different than the sourthwest... and the southwest is very different than the southeast, which is very different than the northeast...etc.

When you are able, it would be nice to hear some of your impressions...

GG

We stayed in Salt Lake City. And the drive there was amazing seeing all the mountains.

We ate at Applebys one night. And took a walk around the Temple and other things in that area. I did notice there didnt seem to be an over abundant of people walking around. And on the day it hailed I was very sick and pretty much lounged around in the south office near the temple which was run by the Sisters. Who took the time to talk to me.

Because I'm on limited status for bad behaviour I guess, I'm unable to view the attachment, but others on here will enjoy it. Good to hear from you again.

GG:

Very true each state had their own beauty and history.

I loved the south very much. As a War of Northern aggression buff it was good to hit nearly all the Confederate states. I was disappointed I did not get to see the Confederate White House in Richmond, Virginia. But I did get to see where it first was in Montgomery, Alabama.

I really enjoyed Nashville, Tennessee and will be back there next year. And I loved Savannah, Georgia. Such rich history and its as if alot of th city has stayed frozen in time.

The southern bbq was some of the best food I have ever eaten.

As a smoker I thought Las Vegas would have been good. But the hotels smelt of stale smoke and I understand why its called Sin City.

I got to see snow in Tulsa, Oklahoma and Colorado Springs, Colorado. Very cold and nearly froze. As where I am from we do not get that cold. But very pretty to look at.

Texas which had always been a place I wanted to see was a let down. Dallas was not impressive. Fort Worth was better. I did get to see the Texas Rangers Ballpak and Bonnie Parkers grave which were the highlights of Texas.

Arkansas had really good history and was good to see the high school that pushed intergration as well as a stop at Red Lobster.

California was so so. Disney land was fulfilling a childhood dream and I got to see the house where Marilyn Monroe was murderd. Venice Beach I will not go back too. Full of freaks.lol

Jackson, Mississippi was full of civil rights and civil war history. But I was disappointed that the state government has lft alot ofcJackson in disrepair. I was told they are in the middle of a building project. We were told ahead of time Jackson is a bad place. But we never experienced any of that. It was lovely just in need of repair.

Will add more later as heading into an interview.

War of Northern Aggression??? Son, you have a lot of history to learn. Ever hear of Fort Sumter? That's where the civil war began when the Confederacy fired on a Federally manned fort in Charleston Harbor. I could go on, but will digress. As an American, I wouldn't feel qualified to pontificate on the War of the Roses, either.  

• 5 months later...

What hotel(s) in Vegas did you stay at?

And why the heck did you skip Idaho? <_<

We stayed at the Plaza. As close to the Greyhound. But we did the strip and saw some of the lovely hotels.

We never planned to venture too north. Prefered the south.

War of Northern Aggression??? Son, you have a lot of history to learn. Ever hear of Fort Sumter? That's where the civil war began when the Confederacy fired on a Federally manned fort in Charleston Harbor. I could go on, but will digress. As an American, I wouldn't feel qualified to pontificate on the War of the Roses, either.

Well you are allowed your view. I have always held Confederate sympathies. And what the North did was overkill.

Well you are allowed your view. I have always held Confederate sympathies. And what the North did was overkill.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But it wasn't a war of northern aggression. It was a bloody Civil War with American casualties greater that all the other US  wars combined. The Confederacy was defending their "Peculiar Institution"  of chattel slavery.

Edited by thesometimesaint

There was slavery in New York until well into the 1800's. In that short time, New Yorkers and their fellow industrialists became so outraged at the South for its racial policies that they were willing to die in unheard of numbers to get rid of it? That is not credible. I don't believe the Northern whites fell in love with their black brothers quite so quickly as that. I do not know Ptolemy Glenn's theory, and I doubt if this is even the proper forum to debate about it, but there is more to the bloody Civil War then northern whites overcoming racial bigotry and trying to share it with the South. I will never except as some mythical histories would have it, that this was a moral crusade where every person of common decency should side with the North. It is more complicated.

Edited by 3DOP

Small world. I'm from Macon, Georgia originally, and Savannah is one of my favorite places to visit.

You mentioned visiting Colorado Springs, Colorado. Both of my sisters live there.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Got to see alot of snow in Colorado Springs while I was there. Very pretty area.

Savannah was truly spectacular. It was like stepping back in time.

Did you see garden of the gods in Colorado Springs? If not you missed out my friend