Seriously No Politics ×

Adam Ondi Ahman

What do we know about the great gathering that is supposed to take place there before the Lord's second coming? I was having a discussion with a friend of mine about it and realized neither of us knows much about it other than it's supposed to happen sometime in the future.

This is what i've heard-

That's where the 144,000 number comes into play in LDS doctrine (as in there are supposed to be 12,000 people from each tribe-i don't know if it's taught as only being priesthood holders or if women are thought able to be there), that Adam-the Ancient of Days-will be there and kind of 'present' the world to Christ as part of his stewardship, that a lot of other notable people down thru the ages will be there, that Christ will be there but it will be secret in that no one really but those there will be aware of it, and that it will occur before the second coming.

I think that's pretty much everything that i've been taught on it.  Whether it's all accurate or not, i have no idea.

The following is what I read from "Principles and Practices of the Restored Gospel" by Victor L. Ludlow, 1992, pg 618...

"APPEARANCE AT ADAM-ONDI-AHMAN

In another event, Christ and all the great prophets of the seven dispensations will gather at  Adam-Ondi-Ahman, the site where Adam anciently gathered his posterity to bless them before he died. (See D&C 107:53-57).  Through modern revelation we know that Adam-Ondi-Ahman, which was originally near the Garden of Eden, is located in Davies County, Missouri.  (See D&C 116).  There will be a significant latter-day reunion or conference at this place when a select assemblage of Latter-Day Saints will join these resurrected leaders.  At this great gathering, the modern prophets will return their priesthood keys to the apostles and prophets from whom they received the keys.  The ancient prophets, in turn, will return the keys to their predecessors until all keys are delivered to Adam himself.  Adam, as Ancient of Days, will then return the keys to Christ, who will use them to personally establish his kingdom here on earth as it is in heaven. (See Dan. 7:9-14)."

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

The following is what I read from "Principles and Practices of the Restored Gospel" by Victor L. Ludlow, 1992, pg 618...

In another event, Christ and all the great prophets of the seven dispensations will gather at  Adam-Ondi-Ahman, the site where Adam anciently gathred his posterity to bless them before he died. (See D&C 107:53-57).  Through modern revelation we know that Adam-Ondi-Ahman, which was originally near the Garden of Eden, is located in Davies County, Missouri.  (See D&C 116).  There will be a significant latter-day reunion or conference at this place when a select assemblage of Latter-Day Saints will join these resurrected leaders.  At this great gatherting, the modern prophets will return their priesthood keys to the apostles and prophets from whom they received the keys.  The ancient prophets, in turn, will return the keys to their predecessors until all keys are delivered to Adam himself.  Adam, as Ancient of Days, will then return the keys to Christ, who will use them to personally establish his kingdom here on earth as it is in heaven. (See Dan. 7:9-14)."

GG

I remember reading that the church purchased this land recently, is that so? Edit:  Nevermind, just googled and it looks like the church owns the land.  Maybe I read that they are building some kind of Visitor's Center or even preparing for a temple?   

Edited by Tacenda

I remember reading that the church purchased this land recently, is that so? Edit:  Nevermind, just googled and it looks like the church owns the land.  Maybe I read that they are building some kind of Visitor's Center or even preparing for a temple?   

Well the Temple in Far West was begun back in 1839. So it's quite possible.

As I remember reading about this, it will not be known to the world when it happens, including the majority of the members.  It will be attended by both mortals and those beyond mortality.

FWIW, someone told me that he and his sister were told in their patriarchal blessing that they will be in attendance.

In another event, Christ and all the great prophets of the seven dispensations will gather at  Adam-Ondi-Ahman, the site where Adam anciently gathered his posterity to bless them before he died. (See D&C 107:53-57).  Through modern revelation we know that Adam-Ondi-Ahman, which was originally near the Garden of Eden, is located in Davies County, Missouri.  (See D&C 116).  There will be a significant latter-day reunion or conference at this place when a select assemblage of Latter-Day Saints will join these resurrected leaders.  At this great gathering, the modern prophets will return their priesthood keys to the apostles and prophets from whom they received the keys.  The ancient prophets, in turn, will return the keys to their predecessors until all keys are delivered to Adam himself.  Adam, as Ancient of Days, will then return the keys to Christ, who will use them to personally establish his kingdom here on earth as it is in heaven. (See Dan. 7:9-14)."

GG

I like:

Daniel 7 speaks of the Ancient of days, he means the oldest man, our Father Adam, Michael; he will call his children together and hold a council with them to prepare them for the coming of the Son of Man. He, (Adam) is the Father of the human family and presides over the Spirits of all men, and all that have had the keys must stand before him in this great council. This may take place before some of us leave this stage of action. The Son of Man stands before him and there is given him glory and dominion. Adam delivers up his stewardship to Christ, that which was delivered to him as holding the Keys of the Universe, but retains his standing as head of the human family. (T.P.J.S. p. 157.)

AND

Commencing with Adam, who was the first man, who is spoken of in Daniel as being the "Ancient of Days," or in other words, the first and oldest of all, the great, grand progenitor of whom it is said in another place he is Michael, because he was the first and father of all, not only by progeny, but the first to hold the spiritual blessings, to whom was made known the plan of ordinances for the salvation of his posterity unto the end, and to whom Christ was first revealed, and through whom Christ has been revealed from heaven, and will continue to be revealed from henceforth. (TPJS, p. 167)

So all the prophets and dispensation heads turn their stewardships over to Adam who stands as the head of the human family and presides over ALL the spirits that come to this earth.  He also is the one who reveals Christ to man.  Then as promised to Christ when he "bought us with his blood" this stewardship is turned over to him as his inheritance.  That is going to be one amazing meeting.

Ive heard all who have held keys will have to return them to the person who gave those keys to them until they reach Adam. Not just the prophets. But I don't remember where I heard it.

Well for one thing, Avatar4221, see my post #3 above... and JLHPROF's post #7 where he quotes TPJS Pg 157 where he taught that all who have had keys must stand before Adam who will return all keys of his stewardship to Christ... we both cite references where you can read...

GG

You guys specifically said prophets though. I mean anyone with keys.

Did you not see JLHPROF's post where I bolded and underlined that JS taught that all who have held keys would return them to the person who gave them until they reach Adam... I think that pretty much covers "anyone."  And then JS also taught that Adam would then return all the keys to Christ... and Christ would establish his kingdom on earth...

GG

Did you not see JLHPROF's post where I bolded and underlined that JS taught that all who have held keys would return them to the person who gave them until they reach Adam... I think that pretty much covers "anyone."  And then JS also taught that Adam would then return all the keys to Christ... and Christ would establish his kingdom on earth...

GG

Then we get to start asking interesting questions:

If all priesthood dispensation turn their keys and stewardship back to Adam, does that include Christ's?

And why does Adam have authority over all other men, even to the point of being the one to supervise the restoration of ordinances each time and to present Christ to man.

and in order to formally bestow Christ's inheritance upon him doesn't Adam have to be possession of it first. Makes you wonder who presides, Adam or Christ?

If all priesthood dispensation turn their keys and stewardship back to Adam, does that include Christ's?

And why does Adam have authority over all other men, even to the point of being the one to supervise the restoration of ordinances each time and to present Christ to man.

and in order to formally bestow Christ's inheritance upon him doesn't Adam have to be possession of it first. Makes you wonder who presides, Adam or Christ?

Adam has authority because he was the first man... and first to receive priesthood...

Adam did not present Christ to man.  The Father presented Christ to Joseph Smith for the restoration, i.e., This is my Beloved Son... Hear Him...

Also, when Christ appeared in the Americas, it was the Father's voice the people heard (3 Ne 11:3)... "a voice as if it came out of heaven" 

The people did not understand until the third time the voice spoke... when they did understand the voice which they heard and it said unto them; "Behold my Beloved Son in whom I am well pleased, in whom I have glorified my name -- hear ye him"

and as the people looked again toward heaven they saw a man descending out of heaven, clothed in a white robe... and the man stretched forth his hand and he spoke to the people, saying: "Behold, I am Jesus Christ..."

Priesthood authority as restored by John the Baptist, and Peter, James and John to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery, and especially after the visitation of Elijah the prophet in April 1836 so that the full, authorized ordinances of baptism and the temple have been returned to the earth.  I don't believe Adam supervised restoration of the ordinances...

GG

No, because Adam is supposed to report to Christ after everyone gives a report to him.

Adam has the authority because God gave it to him, "Lord over the whole earth and everything on it". At Adam-ondi-Ahman he gives back that stewardship to Jesus who exercises it to come in glory and rule in a political kingdom. Jesus is superior in power but it would be rude and not orderly to dominate someone else's stewardship before they are done with it.

Adam has authority because he was the first man... and first to receive priesthood...

Adam did not present Christ to man.  The Father presented Christ to Joseph Smith for the restoration, i.e., This is my Beloved Son... Hear Him...

Also, when Christ appeared in the Americas, it was the Father's voice the people heard (3 Ne 11:3)... "a voice as if it came out of heaven" 

The people did not understand until the third time the voice spoke... when they did understand the voice which they heard and it said unto them; "Behold my Beloved Son in whom I am well pleased, in whom I have glorified my name -- hear ye him"

and as the people looked again toward heaven they saw a man descending out of heaven, clothed in a white robe... and the man stretched forth his hand and he spoke to the people, saying: "Behold, I am Jesus Christ..."

Priesthood authority as restored by John the Baptist, and Peter, James and John to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery, and especially after the visitation of Elijah the prophet in April 1836 so that the full, authorized ordinances of baptism and the temple have been returned to the earth.  I don't believe Adam supervised restoration of the ordinances...

GG

Hey, I'm just quoting Joseph Smith. He said Adam supervised revealing both the ordinances and Christ.

Hey, I'm just quoting Joseph Smith. He said Adam supervised revealing both the ordinances and Christ.

I just read the TPJS you cited and I see  what you are  saying... Joseph taught: "...He (Christ) set the ordinances to be the same forever and  ever, and set Adam to watch over them, to reveal them from heaven to man, or to send angels to reveal them... These angels are under the direction of Michael or Adam, who acts under the direction of the Lord." Adam holds the keys of the dispensation of the fulness of times.

It is Heavenly Father that introduces Christ to Joseph for the restoration of the gospel... and introduced Christ to the Nephites...

GG

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865555292/LDS-Church-buys-farmland-Hauns-Mill-Far-West-Kirtland-property-from-Community-of-Christ.html?pg=all#h8fq3OCxQu9cl5iz.01

I got these mixed up.  I guess the church bought Haun's Mill site recently. ETA:  Well not so recent I guess, when looking closely at the article. 

Edited by Tacenda

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865555292/LDS-Church-buys-farmland-Hauns-Mill-Far-West-Kirtland-property-from-Community-of-Christ.html?pg=all#h8fq3OCxQu9cl5iz.01

I got these mixed up.  I guess the church bought Haun's Mill site recently. ETA:  Well not so recent I guess, when looking closely at the article. 

I've been there several times - a sadder spirit is hard to come by, but Carthage is close.  And then you walk into the valley of Adam-Ondi-Ahman and if the ticks don't bite you the spirit definitely will.  Incredible place.