Seriously No Politics ×

Seminary Graduation Question

I'll admit I was more annoyed about this late night, but now it's just a general curiosity.  Are all seminary graduations typically the length of sacrament meeting?

I went last night to support my brother, but if I had known how long it was going to be, I would have just shown up towards the end so I would have been able to see him get his diploma (I have a very active 16 month old who--of all days--had refused his afternoon nap).  I had pouch food and some toys, but I still spent most of the time outside in the foyer and hallway and missed when my brother received his diploma completely.  I think it would have been better if the graduation was shorter (and from my perspective, it could have been considerably shorter).

Anyways, it just had me wondering if all seminary graduations were that long or if it's just the area I live in.

I'll admit I was more annoyed about this late night, but now it's just a general curiosity.  Are all seminary graduations typically the length of sacrament meeting?

I went last night to support my brother, but if I had known how long it was going to be, I would have just shown up towards the end so I would have been able to see him get his diploma (I have a very active 16 month old who--of all days--had refused his afternoon nap).  I had pouch food and some toys, but I still spent most of the time outside in the foyer and hallway and missed when my brother received his diploma completely.  I think it would have been better if the graduation was shorter (and from my perspective, it could have been considerably shorter).

Anyways, it just had me wondering if all seminary graduations were that long or if it's just the area I live in.

I don't mean to be rude, but when our children were young they were our priority and we refused to put them in a no-win position.  If a child has not had a good day, why take him/her to an event that will only result in a bad situation.  The choice for us would have been to stay home or have a baby sitter.  

I am also one of those terrible older people who believes that some events (I am not suggesting a seminary graduation is such an event) is not appropriate for children.  Sometimes it is preferable to have an adults only event.  

And one last comment from my soap box; never, ever, ever take an infant to a movie theater.  It is disrespectful to every other paying client of the theater, but much worse it is completely unacceptable behavior for a parent.  Children are meant to be a focus of your life; gladly, happily the focus.  We chose to stay home from many events and were happy to do so.  Our kids were too fun and too enjoyable not to want to spend most of free time together.  

Again, I don't want to offend you and I freely admit that I can be a pig of a human, but too many young couples think they are super moms and dads with super kids and can go anywhere and all times.  Those people need to look in the mirror and get a grip.  If you do not teach a child to behave; they will not turn out to be angels, but little devils that are not fun to be around.  If you don't focus on their needs I promise you they will never focus on yours.  It is great and advisable to learn to speak to children as if they were grown ups, but we should never forget they are still little people and are learning a great deal about life.  

Plan for good times and enjoy those little ones when they are little.  They grow up much too fast.

If I were in charge: 2 talks, max., and I would have skipped having a musical number.  As it was, there were 6 talks--4 youth/student speakers, and two seminary teachers, and a musical number (in additions to opening/closing prayer and song).

Storm Rider--

You're not being rude.  To answer your question, normally I would have stayed home, but it was my last siblings graduation and other than our mom, I'm the only immediate family in town so I wanted to be there for him (Dad's working out of the country, Sister1 is on vacation, and Sister2 lives in SLC). I don't remember my sisters' seminary graduations--either because I wasn't able to go, it was shorter, or I just because I didn't have a kid and so my perspective was different. Normally he does pretty well if I bring him to my parents' ward meeting; that starts right after he has had a morning nap. But the graduation started at 7:00, and went to 8:20, which I think is a little too long.  I think 45 minutes would have been ok. He was in a good mood, don't get me wrong. Just no mood for hanging out on the bench with my mom and me.

Like I said, I was more annoyed last night. Having now experienced it and having had time to think it over, I know what to do to improve the situation should it come up again. Don't think it will, but just in case.

I like your advice as a general rule but there may be exceptions such as when parents arent available and the kid needs you to step into that role or has no one there and there is no one else to be a parent for your own kids at the time...i am assuming you are not insisting this is hard and fast, you seem like a guy who is realistic and adaptable but my obsessive nature requires me to add nuance. ;)

Storm Rider--

You're not being rude.  To answer your question, normally I would have stayed home, but it was my last siblings graduation and other than our mom, I'm the only immediate family in town so I wanted to be there for him (Dad's working out of the country, Sister1 is on vacation, and Sister2 lives in SLC). I don't remember my sisters' seminary graduations--either because I wasn't able to go, it was shorter, or I just because I didn't have a kid and so my perspective was different. Normally he does pretty well if I bring him to my parents' ward meeting; that starts right after he has had a morning nap. But the graduation started at 7:00, and went to 8:20, which I think is a little too long.  I think 45 minutes would have been ok. He was in a good mood, don't get me wrong. Just no mood for hanging out on the bench with my mom and me.

Like I said, I was more annoyed last night. Having now experienced it and having had time to think it over, I know what to do to improve the situation should it come up again. Don't think it will, but just in case.

The bottom line is it parenthood and none of us have extensive training. Sometimes we will get it right and at other times we may not be our best.  I generally assume that in this life I have very little control over what happens in life.  Stuff happens and I will try and do my best with what comes.  I also try to do what is right and my wife and I tried to equip our kids with skills we thought would be helpful for their own success and happiness. 

I do think we were lucky as parents.  The terrible twos never happened for us. They were very fun to be around almost always. We appreciated that they were best friends as family members. I would say that when some children hit 18 they should be sent to a monastery until they get about 25. :) 

How lucky You are. What privilege; too many insightful talks, to many loving children. How many would envy You that problem. Could you send me those inspired talks how eagerly I'd take them. When Jesus walked the desert for 40 day's he saw the reality of the dryness of human spirit without his presence. What rich lives to have too much without having experienced the emptiness of too little.

If I were in charge: 2 talks, max., and I would have skipped having a musical number.  As it was, there were 6 talks--4 youth/student speakers, and two seminary teachers, and a musical number (in additions to opening/closing prayer and song).

6 speakers seems like too many to me.  My experience with planning and conducting meetings is that the longer they go on and the more things you try to do the less people are paying attention by the end.  We had two youth speakers, a seminary teacher, the presentation of the diplomas/certificates, and then closing remarks by the stake president.  About an hour start to finish.  It could have gone a little faster if the bishops had said less when presenting the diplomas/certificates, but all in all not bad.

Edited by ksfisher

JDave asked "Can abundance ever be a problem" I suggest that the gift of Abundance gives many choices but creates the conflict of selection, of choosing, each choice is an investment of time. But time is never abundant. So those blessed with the abundance of family or events face the stress of the ever limited resource of time. Want and emptiness give no choice,  but want creates no conflict. So maybe it's helpful when facing such stress to remember to be thankful and to recognize when it is caused by the fullness of our life.

JDave asked "Can abundance ever be a problem" I suggest that the gift of Abundance gives many choices but creates the conflict of selection, of choosing, each choice is an investment of time. But time is never abundant. So those blessed with the abundance of family or events face the stress of the ever limited resource of time. Want and emptiness give no choice,  but want creates no conflict. So maybe it's helpful when facing such stress to remember to be thankful and to recognize when it is caused by the fullness of our life.

That is good advice.  Probably would come across better with a "I hope you realize how blessed you are...", rather than the sarcasm and assumption to the contrary.

JDave Your right, and I've been troubled that I sound dismissive and high-minded. I didn't mean that at all, and sent my first thoughts too quickly. I live, through no fault but my own, without a large family. We were not taught the value of large famililies and so it wasn't the major focus, so reading about those issues, I thought how much I'd love to have those problems. 'the grass is always greener' they say, people in 1 story houses with they were 2, and those in 2 stories will often with they were on 1 level. Sincerely, to S.H. et al, my apologies for discounting your dilemma.

• 3 weeks later...

How lucky You are. What privilege; too many insightful talks, to many loving children. How many would envy You that problem. Could you send me those inspired talks how eagerly I'd take them. When Jesus walked the desert for 40 day's he saw the reality of the dryness of human spirit without his presence. What rich lives to have too much without having experienced the emptiness of too little.

Why are you assuming the talks were insightful?

'The Nehor', I admit that I've never been to such a ceremony. I also very much talked out of place here. My only frame of reference is probably not valid to this discussion. My part in this discussion was a very presumptive mistake, I do regret this, and have resolved to not repeat this error. Mostly I feel very badly about not acknowledging the very real conflict that this young Mother must have experienced and rightly sought help with. So comments not addressing the OP is deferring from the original purpose of this young lady's post, and so compounds the error.

You raise a valid point, and I recognize my error in presuming that the talks themselves must be of value. Thank You.

It's ok, really, John. I'm sorry I snapped at you.

Mostly I'm just bummed I didn't get to see him walk up there to get his seminary diploma.  He's the youngest, and he's pretty shy, so getting up in front of people for any length of time is a big deal to him (and our family).  He was still happy to have me and his nephew there and to take pictures with afterwards.