Seriously No Politics ×

Ordain Women Launches New Effort In Push For Mormon Priesthood

rchorse

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57978283-78/women-ordain-lds-discussion.html.csp

"Ordain Women has rolled out the next phase of its push for ordination to the all-male LDS priesthood — and it doesn’t involve trooping to Temple Square."

It sure doesn't seem to me that these women are interested in the mind and will of the Lord. At this point, it seems to be a pretty obvious attempt to shame the church into giving women the priesthood through social and media pressure. I'd have no problem whatsoever with women receiving the priesthood, were that to be revealed as God's desire. But this is just not the right way to go about petitioning the Lord or his ordained prophets.

"The next step, says Kelly, a churchgoing Mormon, is to 'visualize the future.' 'We want to know what the future could look like,' she says. 'We want to be part of that future and to frame [divine] revelation as a participatory process.'"

Sounds eerily familiar to what we in the old-RLDS Church were hearing in the late 1970's and early 80's. If you want to see what the future could look like - just do a case study on the Community of Christ here in Independence, MO and how a so-called "divine revelation" was framed out of the hearts desire of the people and their leaders.

Then examine the so-called revelations that followed as other participants were determined to have their place in Moses' seat.

Mike Sanders

Book of Mormon Believer

Independence, MO

This is straight out rebellion at this point, as we come closer to the tribulations before the cleansing begins within the church we should be prepared for more of this stuff to come. All we can do for them is pray for them and continue to sustain our leaders the way we have covenanted to! 

D&C 112-

23 Verily, verily, I say unto you, darkness covereth the earth, and gross darkness the minds of the people, and all flesh has become corrupt before my face.

24 Behold, vengeance cometh speedily upon the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord.

25 And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth, saith the Lord;

26 First among those among you, saith the Lord, who have professed to know my name and have not known me, and have blasphemed against me in the midst of my house, saith the Lord.

Even though their issue has been addressed by church leaders in the most recent Conference it appears it is not good enough for them. What they seem to want to hear is that the prophet himself has specifically asked god if it is time (or ever would be a time) that women can be ordained to the priesthood, and then the prophet to tell them that god has told him through some sort of revelation that women should not ever receive the priesthood. Should the prophet do exactly what they are asking just to shut them up, or is it safe to say that that is not the proper procedure and that he should not give in to their request?

Should the prophet do exactly what they are asking just to shut them up, or is it safe to say that that is not the proper procedure and that he should not give in to their request?

It would set a bad precedent.

Plus if we watch on silently they are likely to become more erratic and odd and thus their antics will be more fun to watch. Who's bringing popcorn?

Well, I think stake centers should actually start having steak when you go there. I think the Brothern will be convinced of this once I meat with them. I mean nothing else but steak at the stake center will suffice.

...What they seem to want to hear is that the prophet himself has specifically asked god if it is time (or ever would be a time) that women can be ordained to the priesthood, and then the prophet to tell them that god has told him through some sort of revelation that women should not ever receive the priesthood....

I don't think even that would satisfy them. I doubt they'll be satisfied until women are ordained to the priesthood and in the quorum of the twelve, the different quorums of seventy, bishops, stake presidents, etc. It's become abundantly clear that what God wants is irrelevant to them in all of this.

I don't think even that would satisfy them. I doubt they'll be satisfied until women are ordained to the priesthood and in the quorum of the twelve, the different quorums of seventy, bishops, stake presidents, etc. It's become abundantly clear that what God wants is irrelevant to them in all of this.

This is my biggest issue with OW.

They have stated that nothing less than ordination for women will suffice. If that is true, then it is very disingenuous for them to claim they are only asking for the prophet to pray about the issue.

First, that's not all they are asking for and second, if he doesn't get a "yes" then they still won't be satisfied.

By casting church leadership in a bad light with things like "Patriarchy Bingo", they are edging closer to the line. Once they specifically criticize the Brethren-and make no mistake, they will, sooner or later-that's when the leaders of the group will find themselves invited to a meeting with their bishop, his counselors, and the ward clerk.

Some will claim that they deserve to be exed by the High Council, just like a Melchizedek priesthood holder. Hopefully, some will, at that point, come to themselves and decide that testimony and citizenship in the kingdom are more important than obtaining that which they have not yet been given. 

Could you please explain how that works?

As a people, we instinctively grasp for truth. As we discover principles of truth, we tend to build on it over generations. This can reasonably be construed as revelation.

Examples: abolitionist and civil rights movements 

That's not what I was saying. God is able to inspire more than a handful of people at once.

And THAT is why we have one person authorized to reveal the word of God to the entire world. Otherwise, we would be just like the rest of the world, having conventions where we would vote. Ask the Methodists, Presbyterians, and other similar denominations how that has worked for them. 

That's not what I was saying. God is able to inspire more than a handful of people at once.

I completely agree.

However, He is clear on exactly who He reveals His will to in regards to His church.  And it's not 'more than a handful of people'.  It's one just one person-one specific person.

As a people, we instinctively grasp for truth. As we discover principles of truth, we tend to build on it over generations. This can reasonably be construed as revelation.

Correction thats how mortals create truth. God is not mortal so this does not apply to God. Truth that matters doesn't change.

Excellent point, and the Lord uses the Holy Spirit to inspire mankind to higher things, and to bring them closer to the fullness of the Gospel.  Perhaps you will agree that we cannot have that fullness without prophets who hold the keys of the priesthood.

And THAT is why we have one person authorized to reveal the word of God to the entire world. Otherwise, we would be just like the rest of the world, having conventions where we would vote. Ask the Methodists, Presbyterians, and other similar denominations how that has worked for them. 

And again we thank thee, O God, that we are a chosen and a holy people. Amen.

Excellent point, and the Lord uses the Holy Spirit to inspire mankind to higher things, and to bring them closer to the fullness of the Gospel.  Perhaps you will agree that we cannot have that fullness without prophets who hold the keys of the priesthood.

I think we need all of it. And even with all of it, we're still stumbling around in the dark. Occasionally awakening to truth, and then forgetting again. 

I'd have no problem whatsoever with women receiving the priesthood, were that to be revealed as God's desire. But this is just not the right way to go about petitioning the Lord or his ordained prophets.

Prior to June 1978, how were Latter-day Saints petitioning the 'prophets' to drop the ban on

certain races not being able to hold the priesthood?  Please provide references if you can.

Thanks,

Jim

Archived