Looking For Fellow Missionaries To Fill Out My Short Survey!

OK, I took your survey. Interesting. You might consider sharing your results and conclusions with the board when you finish them.

By the way, you don't say, so I wonder if you are LDS yourself?

Yes, she identified the class, but seems an interesting class for a junior in high school.  Did I really get that right?  It would make more sense to me if this was for a college level course; I must have skimmed too quickly.

Canadian schools are tougher...at least they were in Calgary compared to the CA school I went to and the Kansas one my son did.

You mean, you actually have to ... I dunno :unknw: ... learn stuff ... to graduate from school in Canada?

;)

Canadian schools are tougher...at least they were in Calgary compared to the CA school I went to and the Kansas one my son did.

Fellow missionary sort of conflicts with a high school education Not a big deal but inconsistencies, or more probable my own misunderstandings, are interesting. 

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By SouthernMo
      If messengers from another faith knocked on your door, gave you a book and asked you to read it and ask God if it is true, would you invite them in to learn more?
    • By Five Solas
      As LDS Church membership growth stalls and in some places declines (particularly in urban areas like Seattle), a number of explanations have been offered.  There’s been a lot of focus on availability of information via the internet, particularly regarding church history.  There’s also been a lot of discussion of Millennials and their preferences, which are often not well aligned with traditional LDS beliefs and culture.
      But I wonder if part of the trouble isn’t related to a decline in the traditional candidate pool for LDS conversions.  In my experience, LDS converts often came from what I would call liberal Protestantism, mainline denominations many of which have been in steady decline in recent decades.  And if my observation is broadly true, then as they have declined the result has been a shrinking pool of promising candidates for LDS missionaries to draw from.  Implicit here is that the LDS message doesn’t resonate equally well across different groups (unless the candidate is only marginally engaged therein).
      What do folks here think?  Does the LDS religion have a uniform appeal across religious backgrounds?  Or are some more likely, statistically speaking, to be receptive to the LDS message? 
      --Erik
      --The Beatles, 1965

• By hope_for_things
      I know there have been a couple threads about this already, but they were closed for unknown reasons and since this story was told in my Sunday School class yesterday I wanted to make an attempt at this subject again.  Here are links to three versions of this story that were posted about before.  
      http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865683974/The-divine-companionship-includes-the-Holy-Ghost-in-missionary-work-Elder-Holland-says.html
      http://www.texashoustonsouthmission.com/weekly-presidents-pen/2016/4/25/presidents-pen-4-25-16
      http://hermanaalisonknight.blogspot.com/2015/11/one-month-down-17-to-go.html
      And here is another blog that I found with a similar account:
      http://savvysmissionaryblog.blogspot.com/2015/11/carry-on.html
      All four versions have differences elements to the story, but some similar threads exist.  The person in my ward brought this story up as a faith promoting missionary experience.  This made me think about an NPR Hidden Brain episode that I listened to recently that talked about how we perceive the phenomena of coincidence.  Very interesting podcast on the subject, I recommend checking it out.  
      http://www.npr.org/player/embed/527053652/527485547
      When stories like this are shared, is it a good thing for our faith community?  Knowing that many more members will have family members who leave the church and never return, isn't sharing a story like this more likely to produce false hope in people, making people question whether they are righteous enough to deserve this kind of a blessing from God.  
      Does it do more harm than good to share stories like this, considering how rare they are?  Or is false hope actually a net positive thing for people to hold on to?  Thoughts?

• By Five Solas
      Driving back to the office after a client meeting last Thursday afternoon, listening to KCBS (public radio from Bellevue College) in the car – and I heard this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lql7USZG96E.
      Mostly, I think it’s a great piece of topical pop & I wanted to make sure nobody here missed it.  But we need to make it sufficiently debatable so the mods don’t punt this to “Social Hall”—so let’s have a bit of substance to get us there.
      To borrow from a review by Spin Magazine—
      We meet him [singer/songwriter Jens Lekman] right away on “To Know Your Mission,” Life Will See You Now’s first song. It’s 1997, and a Mormon missionary in Gothenburg encounters a teenager “who takes his headphones off and introduces himself as Jens.” The Mormon’s a stand-in for existential certainty, and Jens considers his own. He’s not sure his songs are any good; maybe he’ll be a psychiatrist, or a social worker, like his dad. “I just want to listen to people’s stories,” he realizes. The tempo speeds way up and then slows way down, like time flowing around an epiphany, which arrives in the present tense: “I’m serving you.” It’s the first time Lekman has so clearly defined the organizing ethics always hinted at in his music: that people are funny, listening to them breeds empathy, empathy breeds love, and love is the highest service to the world.  
      A Mormon as a stand-in for existential certainty.  Anyone care to defend the sense in Lekman’s lyrics?  (Hint: It sure ain’t gonna be mfbukowski.)  Please, just to keep us out of Social Hall.  
      ;0)
      --Erik
      PS.  Apologies in advance to rongo who feels “pop culture” (in which Lekman is playing a part) distracts kids and contributes to attrition from the LDS Church.  But then, maybe he’s right.  Or maybe his objection has already been answered.  Let readers decide. 
      Then that's why God put me here
      --Jens Lekman, 2017
    • By HappyJackWagon
      Yesterday in Priesthood opening exercises the HPGL announced that ward and stake leadership has been made aware of upcoming changes to the full-time missionary program. This is what he said...
      1- In addition to regular 2 year or 18 month missions, Bishops will have the option of recommending missionaries to serve 3 or 6 month missions.
      2- If the missionary is doing well and would like to extend after the shorter 3-6 month call, they will be able to.
      3- There will be more emphasis on service based missions for the shorter 3-6 month calls
      These are some changes I've been hoping for and I think there are some really great implications IF these changes are accurate. Has anyone else heard anything else like this being announced in their local meetings? I thought it was an odd way to announce it. There wasn't a First Presidency letter read introducing the change or anything like it, yet ward leadership seemed totally confident in making the general announcement.
      ETA- this announcement was about young Elders and Sisters serving, not Senior couples