Seriously No Politics ×

Missionaries In Ukraine: Sayonara!

cinepro

A relative who is/was serving his mission in Ukraine just got pulled out (along with many other missionaries) to finish the last few months of his mission stateside.  From the sound of his letter, he's a little disappointed, but I know I'm very relieved!

An aquaintence of ours had one serving in Donetsk.  Last they heard, those were all pulled back to Kiev and the work was still proceeding apace.  My thoughts were few would be interested in religion and worrying more about what's happening to their country, but apparently there's been a boom of sorts in this particular area according to their missionary.  That information is about two weeks old though.

I've see this lately in more than just this thread: There's a difference between boom and boon!

Just sayin'! ;):D

An aquaintence of ours had one serving in Donetsk.  Last they heard, those were all pulled back to Kiev and the work was still proceeding apace.  My thoughts were few would be interested in religion and worrying more about what's happening to their country, but apparently there's been a boom of sorts in this particular area according to their missionary.  That information is about two weeks old though.

That resulted in something like 16 missionaries to a ward/branch, so they are probably sending the ones with little time left to stateside missions.

A relative who is/was serving his mission in Ukraine just got pulled out (along with many other missionaries) to finish the last few months of his mission stateside.  From the sound of his letter, he's a little disappointed, but I know I'm very relieved!

My mother-in-law lives in one of the cities in that mission.

I've see this lately in more than just this thread: There's a difference between boom and boon!

Just sayin'! ;):D

I was speaking with my aquaintence and I speculated that war is a tool to drive gospel thinking, conversion, population movement to allow such, etc.  I think the BoM contains many examples of this.

I was speaking with my aquaintence and I speculated that war is a tool to drive gospel thinking, conversion, population movement to allow such, etc.  I think the BoM contains many examples of this.

Not always.  In the aftermath of WW2 the German people became quite resistant to religion, especially so in the eastern parts where the Commies held sway.  This hasn't changed to the best of my knowledge.

Not always.  In the aftermath of WW2 the German people became quite resistant to religion, especially so in the eastern parts where the Commies held sway.  This hasn't changed to the best of my knowledge.

The end of the BoM speaks of the horrors of war hardening people's hearts, iirc.

The end of the BoM speaks of the horrors of war hardening people's hearts, iirc.

In Alma it says that some are hardened and some are softened. The one advantage war has is that it kicks you out of complacency. It is hard not to deal with eternal questions when continued life becomes so uncertain. It can lead to repentance or it can lead to despair.

It's official:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=29821505&nid=1016&title=67-lds-missionaries-transferred-out-of-ukraine&s_cid=queue-3

UKRAINE — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced Friday that 67 missionaries serving in Ukraine have been transferred to finish their missions within their home countries.

The new assignments and transfers were given to the missionaries based on the "on-going uncertainty in Ukraine", according to a news release from the LDS church.

On April 11, the church had announced that 85 missionaries would be transferred to safer areas within Ukraine, but Friday the decision was made to completely remove many of the missionaries serving in the Ukraine Donetsk Mission.

The church also announced that 41 new missionaries who had been assigned to serve in Ukraine have also been reassigned to other missions.

"The wellbeing of missionaries is always our first priority, and every effort is being made to keep them safe," the LDS church said in a news release.

Read more at http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1016&sid=29821505#3qzPrDvZjU9gjbOO.99

The Maidan was rather ecumenical. You had Orthodox, Catholics, Uniates, Protestants, Jews, and Muslims working together, and their religious leaders frequently spoke, as well as conducting prayers and so on. Several members of our church were also very active in the struggle.

The Maidan was rather ecumenical. You had Orthodox, Catholics, Uniates, Protestants, Jews, and Muslims working together, and their religious leaders frequently spoke, as well as conducting prayers and so on. Several members of our church were also very active in the struggle.

And now Russia is responding with help for the anti-Maidan groups and illegally annexing the Crimea with what amounted to only 15% of the population actually voting for it according to accidentally leaked figures.  I predict it will remain a low level war at least for quite some time.  In the meantime, populations will be displaced and some people will find God as a result of that and the fear and the hardship of the situation.

Archived