Texas Flds Ranch Seized

Calm

http://fox13now.com/2014/04/17/texas-to-seize-flds-ranch/

"The Schleicher County Sheriff and Texas DPS officers met with those FLDS members still on the property and handed them copies of the court order allowing for the seizure.

“The residents have agreed to vacate the property,” the statement said. “Law enforcement personnel are working with the occupants of the ranch to take all reasonable actions to assist with their departure of the property, to preserve the property, and to successfully execute the court order.”

“Continuing activities on the property will include obtaining a court-ordered inventory of real property and protecting the remaining assets.”

The ranch has been largely abandoned since FLDS leader Warren Jeffs was convicted of child sex assault, related to underage marriages. He is serving a life, plus 20-year sentence for the crimes."

This came across as over-reaching by the local authorities.  I tend to think evil thoughts of Evangelicals and my knee-jerk reaction was that I would really like to know the religion of the individuals who most actively pursued this.  

I will never forget the first time I saw pictures of this ranch being invaded by local Texas authorities; there was a school bus with the name of the local First Baptist Church on it.  Why would a church's bus be used and who authorized it?  I don't like Jeff's and I don't agree with much of what he stands for or taught, but I resent when a church functions as political entity.  I don't mind cheer leading on the sidelines or sending in letters to the editor, but when a church's bus is one of the first vehicles on the scene of a law enforcement action I have a problem.

Did you actually read the article? Nothing was accomplished. The FLDS Church didn't even fight the filing...and it still took awesome Texas two years to make a move. They had scared the group off with the prior raid and they had scattered to the wind. Good luck in tracking any abuse in that situation.

The ranch was more or less abandoned.

When Texas first raided the Yearn for Zion compound it was based on a prank phone call by a lady who grew up aomngts the FLDS and left those people. She falsly reported that she was being held inside the basement at the compound against her will. Texas came to rescue her and from there decided to call CPS to pick up all the children. Their justification was tha they "saw" children "clearly" as brides to older men. To this day I have no idea what they were talking about. Thy saw young children walking around the compound with older men and they assumed it was for marital status.

CPS came with buses and the adults were ordered to have the children board the buses. They only was the children's moters were allowed to board is if they mother's were of minor age and married. After learning this, there was a sudden spike in women claiming to be minors ad married and thus were allowed to board the buses. They simply lied in order to stay with their own children. The state of Texas promised to get DNA results to sort out the mess but they made it sound far easier than it turned out to be. DNA testing takes a long time and with the amount of children they seized that meant that they would be held for months. When it was all said and done I think there were 2, maybe three or more, convictions.

Some big concerns I had with the raid was a) how much power should a state have to raid a placed based on a prank phone call? b) How does the state seaize and hold its citizens with no charges for over 48 hours? And, remember, the children were not going ot be charged with a crime, only the adults. c) There was clear bias against the FLDS and their religious practices. I constantly heard from the powers that be that the children were being raised to be brides. So what? I'm raising my daughters to be brides. After they are 18 if they suddenly end up married to a good man, I'll be very happy.

Did you actually read the article? Nothing was accomplished. The FLDS Church didn't even fight the filing...and it still took awesome Texas two years to make a move. They had scared the group off with the prior raid and they had scattered to the wind. Good luck in tracking any abuse in that situation.

It's a good thing, no matter how Texas went about it, it probably would have happened sooner, if the public hadn't cried about it. The ranch was a scene of a vicious crime on innocent children, I did read the article. The people looking after the children were brainwashed, they were incubated in that compound with no outside intervention. Now that they are out in the community there is a chance for these people to get help. It's the best thing to have happened. How could it not be? Anyone remember Waco, Jonestown? Need I say more?

It's a good thing, no matter how Texas went about it, it probably would have happened sooner, if the public hadn't cried about it. The ranch was a scene of a vicious crime on innocent children, I did read the article. The people looking after the children were brainwashed, they were incubated in that compound with no outside intervention. Now that they are out in the community there is a chance for these people to get help. It's the best thing to have happened. How could it not be? Anyone remember Waco, Jonestown? Need I say more?

What vicious crime against children ocurred on the YFZ ranch?

When Texas first raided the Yearn for Zion compound it was based on a prank phone call by a lady who grew up aomngts the FLDS and left those people. She falsly reported that she was being held inside the basement at the compound against her will. Texas came to rescue her and from there decided to call CPS to pick up all the children. Their justification was tha they "saw" children "clearly" as brides to older men. To this day I have no idea what they were talking about. Thy saw young children walking around the compound with older men and they assumed it was for marital status.

CPS came with buses and the adults were ordered to have the children board the buses. They only was the children's moters were allowed to board is if they mother's were of minor age and married. After learning this, there was a sudden spike in women claiming to be minors ad married and thus were allowed to board the buses. They simply lied in order to stay with their own children. The state of Texas promised to get DNA results to sort out the mess but they made it sound far easier than it turned out to be. DNA testing takes a long time and with the amount of children they seized that meant that they would be held for months. When it was all said and done I think there were 2, maybe three or more, convictions.

Some big concerns I had with the raid was a) how much power should a state have to raid a placed based on a prank phone call? b) How does the state seaize and hold its citizens with no charges for over 48 hours? And, remember, the children were not going ot be charged with a crime, only the adults. c) There was clear bias against the FLDS and their religious practices. I constantly heard from the powers that be that the children were being raised to be brides. So what? I'm raising my daughters to be brides. After they are 18 if they suddenly end up married to a good man, I'll be very happy.

Not true... she was a black lady with a history of mental problems.

What vicious crime against children ocurred on the YFZ ranch?

Even though the call which led to the raid was a prank phone call, the raid did reveal that children were being sexually abused.  

Thank goodness it wasn't as bad as they thought, or as it could have been, but let's not pretend there weren't crimes against children being committed.  We can be against an overreaching government and also applaud when evil is exposed. 

We can applaud when evil is stopped, without being naive enough to believe that whatever the government wants to do to intervene in a situation it doesn't like it is o.k. as long as some good comes of it.

Let's not forget that it was the way the government intervened in Waco that caused the loss of life for a lot of children (and adults as well).  Can you really say that getting control of the Branch Davidians at Waco was "a good thing no matter how Texas went about it?"

Now that they are out in the community there is a chance for these people to get help.

No, they are not.  They moved to other FLDS communities that are known for having similar problems:

Most have moved to other FLDS enclaves in South Dakota, Colorado or back to the polygamous border towns of Hildale, Utah and Colorado City, Ariz.

it probably would have happened sooner, if the public hadn't cried about it.

More likely all the money that was wasted and potential money loss in additional lawsuits that made them more cautious this time around.

... Good luck in tracking any abuse in that situation.

Shades of 1857 in Utah, perhaps?  (I hasten to add that I'm not saying Brigham Young would have condoned the sort of things of which Jeffs has been convicted, but that the same "Insider-vs-Outsider," persecution dynamic exists ...  And anyone who would compare Joseph Smith or Brigham Young to Warren Jeffs is guilty of presentism, in my book.)

We can applaud when evil is stopped, without being naive enough to believe that whatever the government wants to do to intervene in a situation it doesn't like it is o.k. as long as some good comes of it. ...

:clapping:  Well said! :clapping:

Was the temple part of the property that was seized?  Where is the temple in relation to the ranch?  Anybody know?  (Just curious.) :unknw:

The temple is among the housing part of the ranch.   But I'm pretty sure it hasn't been used as a temple since the raid, when Jeffs called it desecrated. 

I just wonder what authority TX had to take the ranch (which is really owned for the benefit of those who lived there, even though official owned by whatever trust manages the church affairs).

Even though the call which led to the raid was a prank phone call, the raid did reveal that children were being sexually abused.  

Thank goodness it wasn't as bad as they thought, or as it could have been, but let's not pretend there weren't crimes against children being committed.  We can be against an overreaching government and also applaud when evil is exposed. 

Oh, there were crimes alright, but "vicious crimes"? You need to place the crimes into the context that those convicted from the YFZ raid were men marrying 16 year olds by their consent and their parent's consent. Before the YFZ ranch was establised, Texas law allowed 16 year olds to marry. That law was changed due to the establishment of the YFZ ranch which everyone knew was associated with Warrens. "Vicious crimes" I think is overdoing the label of what was happening in the ranch. I fully support convicting those cuplable but not how texas went about doing it. Texas already had the YFZ under surveillance and I think an undecover officer inside the ranch for a full two years. It's strange that despite all that it took a prank phone call to sweep in and authoritatively take all the children away.

One thing I also need to mention that by placing these kids into foster care that, far more than living on this ranch, would expose them to pronography, drug use, and sexual abuse (the vicious kind).

I just wonder what authority TX had to take the ranch (which is really owned for the benefit of those who lived there, even though official owned by whatever trust manages the church affairs).

Here:

Authorities say sect leaders purchased the Yearning for Zion Ranch to commit crimes, which constitutes money laundering under Texas law and also makes the property subject to seizure laws as contraband,according to a 91-page search-and-seizure warrant. Sect members bought the 1,600-acre property "in a failed attempt to establish a remote outpost where they could insulate themselves from criminal prosecution for sexually assaulting children," according to a news release from Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott.

The property is appraised at $19.96 million, according to county tax rolls.

The warrant is akin to civil foreclosure rather than a criminal investigation, but it could force the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS) members living there to move off the property, said sect attorney Rod Parker. Authorities taped the warrant to the YFZ Ranch gate Tuesday afternoon and made it public Wednesday.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55362212-78/ranch-jeffs-flds-texas.html.csp

Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Is this real? I'm ecstatic, yay Texas, they're awesome, now if Utah could get on the ball. Make sure children aren't abused and getting a decent education.

You are ecstatic about women and children being evicted from their homes?

Archived