Immunization And The Church

halconero

https://www.lds.org/church/news/church-makes-immunizations-an-official-initiative-provides-social-mobilization

It's about 2 years old, but I found this gem buried in the newsroom. Monetary contributions aside, the public display of these acts, along with the reference to the following quote have the added benefit of helping more members realize that immunization is a life-saving, publicly-conscious, health-beneficial act:

“We urge members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to protect their own children through immunization. Then they may wish to join other public-spirited citizens in efforts to eradicate ignorance and apathy that have caused the disturbingly low levels of childhood immunization.

“Failure to act could subject untold thousands to preventable lifelong physical or mental impairment, including paralysis, blindness, deafness, heart damage and mental retardation."

I also highly recommend fluoride.  I attribute fluoride in the water and probably good genetics to the fact that I still have no cavities for all these decades. I do sympathize with the those who are against the notion of being forced to have fluoride in their water but for that reason only (being forced).

What does it say about some members that they are following the advice and example of a former Playboy model over both competent medical advice and now the guidance of the brethren?

What does it say about some members that they are following the advice and example of a former Playboy model over both competent medical advice and now the guidance of the brethren?

Heck, even though the article I posted is fairly recent, the quote within the article is from 1978.

There is no evidence that immunizations cause autism, just the bogus research of a scientist or two. If your child has that condition it is easier to blame something. I am always embarassed when I hear about Mormons who don`t immunize. There are these sorts of hippie-like individuals within the Church. In my experience they often do multi-level marketing or are fadish in Word of Wisdom practices. A number of years ago the Public Health Service in England stop vaccinating for Pertussis. Within the first six months there were so many deaths among infants, that immunization was brought back. Those who don`t vaccinate live off of the immunity of all of those who don`t spread disease because of their immune status. It has been too long since we have had a big epidemic of polio or other preventable diseases. It is due sometime in the future and some of these people will be in a bad way.

I know someone that has a autistic cousin (the autistic cousin is about 25 years old). The doctor told them that it was most likely caused by a reaction to immunization and that they might have a genetic risk to it. So they don't immunize their children until they are older (around 6).

The doctor told them that it was most likely caused by a reaction to immunization and that they might have a genetic risk to it.

Do you know when he said this?  If recently, I would be wondering about the doctor myself given the studies that have been done.

Do you know when he said this?  If recently, I would be wondering about the doctor myself given the studies that have been done.

I heard this about 10 years ago and I was under the impression at that time that the doctor had told them shortly after the diagnosis so that would put it almost 20 years ago.

I heard this about 10 years ago and I was under the impression at that time that the doctor had told them shortly after the diagnosis so that would put it almost 20 years ago.

20 years ago there was less proof so while I hope he was more cautious than what it appears, it is not quite as bad as if he told them last year.  If it makes a difference to how they are treating their current children or rather more likely how their children are treating their grandchildren, I hope they study the research on this to see that the speculation did not get verified.

That would also put it around the time of the MMR vaccination controvery. It was when the famous paper written by Andrew Wakefield got published citing those claims. He was stripped of his medical licence back in 2010 after it was found that he manipulated evidence, had conflict-of-interest issues with his research, and sometimes outright lied in his findings.

I also highly recommend fluoride.  I attribute fluoride in the water and probably good genetics to the fact that I still have no cavities for all these decades. I do sympathize with the those who are against the notion of being forced to have fluoride in their water but for that reason only (being forced).

Don't get me started. Ooops, too late.

I use fluoride toothpaste, I accept fluoride treatments at the dentist. But contaminating city water supplies with arguably toxic substances on the unlikely offchance that an extremely brief contact with a highly dilute chemical will strengthen tooth enamel?  No thanks!  When the dental hygienist paints concentrated stannous fluoride on your teeth and tells you to leave it there for an hour, please compare this with a one-millisecond contact with 4 parts per million strength fluoride as it rushes past your teeth. You really think this is going to help your teeth?  Drink any oceans lately?

You may simply have good tooth genes. I have 12 children ("yours, mine and ours"). During their childhood they lived in a non-fluoridated community. Most have great teeth, and some have not-so-great. I don't think the lack of fluoridation is responsible for either result.

Since this appears to be off-topic, I won't go on at length, although I could. Please see my recent blog post on the subject.

There is no evidence that immunizations cause autism, just the bogus research of a scientist or two. If your child has that condition it is easier to blame something. I am always embarassed when I hear about Mormons who don`t immunize. There are these sorts of hippie-like individuals within the Church. In my experience they often do multi-level marketing or are fadish in Word of Wisdom practices. A number of years ago the Public Health Service in England stop vaccinating for Pertussis. Within the first six months there were so many deaths among infants, that immunization was brought back. Those who don`t vaccinate live off of the immunity of all of those who don`t spread disease because of their immune status. It has been too long since we have had a big epidemic of polio or other preventable diseases. It is due sometime in the future and some of these people will be in a bad way.

Oh, come on.  Please don't conflate anti-immunization with MLM or the Flat Earth Society.  I know MLMers who immunize and anti-immunizers who hate MLM.  Generalizations do not become one who "reads too much" (which is, in my opinion at least, a contradiction in terms).

That would also put it around the time of the MMR vaccination controvery. It was when the famous paper written by Andrew Wakefield got published citing those claims. He was stripped of his medical licence back in 2010 after it was found that he manipulated evidence, had conflict-of-interest issues with his research, and sometimes outright lied in his findings.

Yes, and when I confronted a dear female relative of mine (a staunch anti-immunist) with this information, she refused to accept it, and insisted that the medical establishment was "out to get" Wakefield for telling the truth.  <cringe>

Childhood immunizations are some of the best advancements of our age.  I truly do not understand parents who purposefully leave their children and other people at risk.

But.........unfounded fears of autism!!!!!!!!!!!!

People are fundamentally stupid. One of the signs of the times.

I know someone that has a autistic cousin (the autistic cousin is about 25 years old). The doctor told them that it was most likely caused by a reaction to immunization and that they might have a genetic risk to it. So they don't immunize their children until they are older (around 6).

I would avoid that doctor. Sounds like a quack.

For those concerned this handy article lays out the pros and cons of immunization:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/the-pros-and-cons-of-vaccinating-children,35731/

Current research suggests that autism is both genetic and linked to potential environmental issues during pregnancy - that autism develops in prenatal development. Here are discussions of three separate current studies that came to the same conclusion recently in different ways:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/04/02/298332344/map-of-the-developing-human-brain-shows-where-problems-begin

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140408135032.htm

http://www.autismspeaks.org/science/science-news/direct-evidence-autism-starts-during-prenatal-development

Ben M.

Stargazer,

I almost apologized in advance for MLM and WoW comments. In my experience there is some anti-intellectualism that is in the groups I was discussing which seems to lead to less immunizations. Is this a stereotype that is not entirely fair-sure like all stereotypes. Nevertheless, it has been a pretty consistent finding for me. As far as readstoomuch, it is hard to find a screen name and many are already taken. It does describe me and the hundred of books I have in my bedroom and office.

Stargazer,

I almost apologized in advance for MLM and WoW comments. In my experience there is some anti-intellectualism that is in the groups I was discussing which seems to lead to less immunizations. Is this a stereotype that is not entirely fair-sure like all stereotypes. Nevertheless, it has been a pretty consistent finding for me. As far as readstoomuch, it is hard to find a screen name and many are already taken. It does describe me and the hundred of books I have in my bedroom and office.

Yeah, both my wife and I could have had a legitimate claim on that screen name. Books everywhere.

I resisted it for some time, but I finally bought a basic Kindle, and now carry it everywhere I go. If I am driving and stop for a traffic light, out it comes and I read until the light changes or the guy behind me honks!

As to the MLM thing, I know some very smart guys who are very successful at MLM (one is my home teacher and HPGL: you can find him in the center of the photo group on this page). He is a book author (this book), and among the smartest people I know.  Hardly an anti-intellectual.  

I should point out that I am not a network marketer, just in case there's any doubt.  Been there, done that, have the T-shirt.  Literally.

Yes, and when I confronted a dear female relative of mine (a staunch anti-immunist) with this information, she refused to accept it, and insisted that the medical establishment was "out to get" Wakefield for telling the truth.  <cringe>

If the “medical establishment“ really believed that Wakefield was telling the truth, why do medical doctors have their own children immunized?  

If the “medical establishment“ really believed that Wakefield was telling the truth, why do medical doctors have their own children immunized?  

They are paid off by the conspiracy and given placebo shots to keep the whole thing hidden. The conspiracy is much vaster then you could possibly imagine.

:vader:

Yep, total illogic.  But try bandying logic with the illogical, sometime.  I've tried it.  It doesn't work.

They are paid off by the conspiracy and given placebo shots to keep the whole thing hidden. The conspiracy is much vaster then you could possibly imagine.

:vader:

Oh, so you've talked with some of these people, then!

Yes, and I think we should force them to recant their heresy or be burned as witches. It's the only way.

Well, I may have to hide one of them in my attic if it comes to that.  I'm married to her.

Archived