Seriously No Politics ×

A Simple Questions For Tex-Mex Lovers

A Simple Questions for Tex-Mex Eaters  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Tex-Mex Eaters, do you have best taco?

• Yes
    • No

Hee hee!  I can't answer, because I don't eat Tex-Mex.  I'm from New Mexico, and Tex-Mex is a blasphemy, heresy, and anathema and rolled into one in our state.

ETA:  I'm feeling discriminated against.  First, there was the poll only for LDS.  Now, there is a poll only for Tex-Mex eaters.  Maybe I'll start a poll that's only for New Mexican Catholics who love green chile and study philosophy.

Obviously, you have a thick skin, or you wouldn't have lasted nearly so long in this corner of Cyberspace!  (I bid you belated welcome to Cyber-Mormonism's answer to The Wild, Wild West! :D)

What is tex-mex exactly?

Texan-mexican. Or as I lovingly call it Texican

And I do enjoy my tex-mex. I get the original stuff, having a part tex-mex family. G-ma just taught me to make her tortillas the right way this christmas. Her salsa is second to none. When people say something's spicy, most of us just stare at them sadly and shake our heads. Until you've had spicy that burns so badly that your tongue hurts like a bruise but you can't stop eating it because the salsa is that good then you don't know spicy. Other family favorites are guiso, enchiladas (though we like our mom's americanized version better than our g-ma's runs inducing stuff), and tamales. That said, tex-mex is too northern mexico influenced. As a veggie, I definitely prefer the southern mexican food better. THeir enchilada is their taco up here, so I'd have to say that the best "taco" like thing I've eaten was actually a blue-corn tortilla enchilada just north of Mexico City, made by hand by the indigenous people there over woodburning fires. That was the definition of perfection. And now I'm hungry for food I can't have :::sigh:::

With luv,

BD

Edited by BlueDreams

And I do enjoy my tex-mex. I get the original stuff, having a part tex-mex family. G-ma just taught me to make her tortillas the right way this christmas. Her salsa is second to none. When people say something's spicy, most of us just stare at them sadly and shake our heads. Until you've had spicy that burns so badly that your tongue hurts like a bruise but you can't stop eating it because the salsa is that good then you don't know spicy. Other family favorites are guiso, enchiladas (though we like our mom's americanized version better than our g-ma's runs inducing stuff), and tamales. That said, tex-mex is too northern mexico influenced. As a veggie, I definitely prefer the southern mexican food better. THeir enchilada is their taco up here, so I'd have to say that the best "taco" like thing I've eaten was actually a blue-corn tortilla enchilada just north of Mexico City, made by hand by the indigenous people there over woodburning fires. That was the definition of perfection. And now I'm hungry for food I can't have :::sigh:::

With luv,

BD

I understand what it stands for but I'm not sure how it's different from Mexican food served in other states.

Since there are Mexicans from Mexico who own restaurants in many other states, I'm never sure how that food is supposed to compare.

:)

I understand what it stands for but I'm not sure how it's different from Mexican food served in other states.

Since there are Mexicans from Mexico who own restaurants in many other states, I'm never sure how that food is supposed to compare.

:)

Tex-Mex is a overly cheese sauced nondescript low quality food at higher prices. :diablo:

ETA:  I'm feeling discriminated against.  First, there was the poll only for LDS.  Now, there is a poll only for Tex-Mex eaters.  Maybe I'll start a poll that's only for New Mexican Catholics who love green chile and study philosophy.

What only green chile? Mole, mole for me. Or better yet, both combined into a yummy burrito.

I was told that La Frontera was good tex-mex from real Texans that came into town on business. That place has some of the best mexican I have ever had. I eat there almost once a week. I really have no idea what tex mex is. I have been to places that claim they are tex mex and I didn't care for it.

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

http://www.splendidtable.org/story/if-it-isnt-really-mexican-food-what-is-tex-mex

Tex-Mex cuisine is descended from their tradition, and also from a lot of Canary Islanders who were brought to San Antonio by the Spanish to try to expand the colonization of Texas. The Canary Islanders brought with them a Berber flavor signature -- Moroccan food. There was a lot of cumin, garlic and chili, and those flavors, which are really dominant in chili con carne, became the flavor signature of Tex-Mex. It's very different from Mexican food. Diana Kennedy is prone to say that Tex-Mex includes way too much cumin. But if you compare it to Arab food, you suddenly understand where that flavor signature comes from.

FL: Aside from chili con carne, what are other dishes where we might see that kind of influence? What are the other dishes of Tex-Mex cuisine?

RW: To stick with chili con carne for just a second, Raul Molina Jr. is a Tex-Mex entrepreneur who grew up in an apartment above his family’s restaurant where his mom was the cook, his father was the waiter, and he was the busboy. He told me that in the early days of Tex-Mex, it was basically just short-ordered cooking plus chili con carne. He said people came in, his mom had a big pot of chili con carne, she'd make scrambled eggs with chili, she'd make steak with chili, she'd make a hamburger with chili, she'd make just about anything and add chili and that became Tex-Mex.

Molina told me that after Glen Bell invented Taco Bell out in San Bernadino, Calif., and started to come across the country with his preformed taco shells, that was when Tex-Mex restaurants first tried making preformed taco shells. I blame the fast food influence on Tex-Mex entirely on California.

Edited by calmoriah

That was a great read. From this alone the restaurant I eat at is no Tex-mex. It sounds like good old fashion Mexican.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With luv,

BD

I think the hot food is horrible.  I live the taste of Jalapenos and  other peppers but in a mild form.  To me there is no flavor to hot but when they are mild enough to taste the flavor comes out.  How can one taste with burned out taste buds?

I have the same problem with Mexican heat...I just get a burn rather than taste. OTOH Asian food like curry or stuff with ginger has a good heat that doesn't inhibit taste, but seems to enhance it. I love the taste and burn of a strong ginger ale/beer. Granted I don't particular like the draining of sinuses feeling, but given my allergies it is probably healthy.