Seriously No Politics ×

General Conference, Or A Total Zoo?

So let's see, the atheists are in town for a convention this week and have promised to walk around Temple Square as if it were Jericho, hoping that LDS who have just been faking it will join them. The ex-mormons will be joining them. The OW announced that they will be defying the church's request to stay in the protest zone and will troop into the square so that they can be individually refused tickets to the priesthood session. Of course the street preachers will be running around waving garments and mocking everything we hold sacred. Institute students will be trying to sing louder than the preachers can yell.

And in the middle of it all, some of us will try to gather to hear the words of the prophets. But it's almost become a three ring circus as much as a gathering of the saints. Sigh.

One of my favorite moments on my mission was when some evangelicals marched around the chapel seven times and then started yelling and then waited for the building to collapse. After a pregnant pause their leader suddenly called out: "Their walls are spiritually falling." And everyone cheered and they went away.

So let's see, the atheists are in town for a convention this week and have promised to walk around Temple Square as if it were Jericho, hoping that LDS who have just been faking it will join them. The ex-mormons will be joining them. The OW announced that they will be defying the church's request to stay in the protest zone and will troop into the square so that they can be individually refused tickets to the priesthood session. Of course the street preachers will be running around waving garments and mocking everything we hold sacred. Institute students will be trying to sing louder than the preachers can yell.

And in the middle of it all, some of us will try to gather to hear the words of the prophets. But it's almost become a three ring circus as much as a gathering of the saints. Sigh.

We live in the area but my wife refuses to go anywhere near Temple Square on Conference Weekend.  (Me, I like to go laugh at the silly protesters.  I find their foolishness and ignorance entertaining, well, up to a point.)

Question...Is there another world religion in all the world that has to endure these things?

I would really like to go to a conference and experience it in person.  I don't care about the silly people around temple square... but... I will not bring my kids.  I'm hoping it can be something my husband and I can do together in the next few years.  How do you get tickets anyway?  

I would really like to go to a conference and experience it in person.  I don't care about the silly people around temple square... but... I will not bring my kids.  I'm hoping it can be something my husband and I can do together in the next few years.  How do you get tickets anyway?  

Typically, each Stake gets an assortment, then divides them up between the wards. So you just ask the bishop. In my experience, a few weeks before conference, any that have not been requested are offered to members the bishop thinks could profit from the experience, like newly reactivated ones. Extras are returned to the stake. 

Question...Is there another world religion in all the world that has to endure these things?

Exactly these things probably not (since we have our own unique combination of beliefs and practices as targets), but from what I've heard I think Jewish, Muslim and Catholic at least (just going with major ones that I've heard about, I am sure there are many that I haven't) have to put up with regular demonstrations of intolerance and mocking including vandalism of church property, people calling them names and mocking their sacred beliefs, etc.

I vaguely remember an Evangelical congregation that had their actual meeting disrupted by protestors awhile back.

You might check with your bishop or stake president.  I don't know if it is just for places that are closer, but iirc they hand them out so many to each stake around here (at least that is how I think we've gotten some in the past but I might be confusing them with another event we went to).

There is a ticket office, but I don't know if they handle conference tickets:

https://www.lds.org/church/events/temple-square-events/temple-square-events-ticket-office

Edited by calmoriah

We live in the area but my wife refuses to go anywhere near Temple Square on Conference Weekend.  (Me, I like to go laugh at the silly protesters.  I find their foolishness and ignorance entertaining, well, up to a point.)

I'm so tempted to see the silly protesters!  My life is so boring at times, my hubby has way more hobbies than me.  Being a people watcher can't hurt either.   

Hopefully this doesn't derail, the other day I heard that GC had a laugh track.  Does anyone know if this is fact?  I'd never heard of it before.

I sincerely doubt it. Otherwise we wouldn't occasionally have those awkward pauses when a speaker is waiting for everyone to laugh after a bad joke.

I sincerely doubt it. Otherwise we wouldn't occasionally have those awkward pauses when a speaker is waiting for everyone to laugh after a bad joke.

Maybe there is an emergency one so that speakers won't get thrown off too bad by no one laughing and will proceed with their talk naturally.

I highly doubt if there is one, it is standard procedure.  I think it would be too easy to tell and we would have heard a lot of comments about it.

If you live in the area, they always have tickets left over for public officials and dignitaries. I was stopped by tis way and ended attending the Christmas program sitting on second roe, behind the 12 and their spouses. It was quite an experience. I have met many GA's over the years by happenstance.

My favourites are the protestors who protest the protestors.

One year, I'm gonna go with a huge sign with a picture of a proboscis on it and the slogan, "Anyone who has a nose can picket!" :D  (My other favorite is the guy who dressed up as  :diablo: Satan with the sign that said, in essence, "Listen to these guys!" :D

Edited by Kenngo1969

If you have relatively young people in your party, you can use it as a teaching moment: "Think about how you feel before you go in with all of the people making fun of the most sacred parts of our faith, along with others protesting it.  Then compare that to how you felt in the Conference Center listening to the speakers."  (And even if you're not young, :D maybe that approach will work for you, too.  :))  "There must needs be opposition in all things."  The truth is that maybe we modern Saints have had it too good for too long.  If the early Saints could endure what they did and yet still build the legacy (both spiritual and tangible) that they did, surely we can endure a few protestors.  I wish you well. :)  

One year, I'm gonna go with a huge sign with a picture of a proboscis on it and the slogan, "Anyone who has a nose can picket!":D

No, I will not be giving your point for that one.

Talk to your bishop and let him know you are planning to go to the "next" conference.  He can get them for you from the stake. Always better to make the request in advance.  

The bishop always announces from the pulpit that he has tickets for conference and anyone who wants to attend to let him know.  That's how I obtained mine a few years ago (about 2007)... and they made the same announcement a few weeks ago.  So, start with the bishop.  I loved attending...  the last time I had attended conference was in 1955 and we  were in the Tabernacle.  This time was in the beautiful Conference Center... what a change...

GG

One year, I'm gonna go with a huge sign with a picture of a proboscis on it and the slogan, "Anyone who has a nose can picket!" :D  (My other favorite is the guy who dressed up as  :diablo: Satan with the sign that said, in essence, "Listen to these guys!" :D

No, I will not be giving your point for that one.

What's wrong with it? :D