Seriously No Politics ×

Rep Points: A Question For Calmoriah ...

You reached it fairly recently, it would seem. Congratulations!

Looks like it!

I don't keep track, but your question caused me to check and see.  I don't know that it means too much though.  I'm pretty sure Cal is responsible for most of them!  :)

Looks like it!

I don't keep track, but your question caused me to check and see.  I don't know that it means too much though.  I'm pretty sure Cal is responsible for most of them!   :)

Well, as I said a while back, it is all the more remarkable she collects as many as she does, considering the fact that she doesn't have cal to give her rep points.

Well, as I said a while back, it is all the more remarkable she collects as many as she does, considering the fact that she doesn't have cal to give her rep points.

People simply don't realize how brilliant I really am!  Now, if I could give myself rep points ... :D

... and others who have attained 3,000 and beyond:

Did your life change in any respect after you reached that milestone?

Of course.

I guess that means you haven't yet heard the heavenly choirs every time you hit "post".

And then of course there are the paparazzi chasing you everywhere, and the countless emails begging for your autograph....

The free cars given just for you to post on someone's blog, and all that other stuff.

Don't worry kid. Just keep your eye on the prize and maybe you will be as big as I am some day.

Just don't get Calmoriah mad at you. ;)

I have noticed that rep points may not be that representative. I have followed one poster who seems to score at least 6 rep points a day which may tell me that the poster has a personal fan, perhaps a family member giving rep points. But who knows. I think that rep points can be representative of the quality of posts. But the mods can fish out rep points that may be coming from a particular person to shore up a mom, a dad or friend.

I have noticed that rep points may not be that representative. I have followed one poster who seems to score at least 6 rep points a day which may tell me that the poster has a personal fan, perhaps a family member giving rep points. But who knows. I think that rep points can be representative of the quality of posts. But the mods can fish out rep points that may be coming from a particular person to shore up a mom, a dad or friend.

:huh: ....that's a lot of work for so little rewards as a couple of rep points. It's probably nothing, most people don't pay attention to how much anyone accumulates on any given sunday. So if they really are doing something crazy like getting the fam in some major points ponzee scheme or an overzealous fan base, I say let them have it.

No harm, no foul.

But of course, maybe I just figure if I play nice, I'll shoot up to 2K faster....Must. Feel. Admired!  :P

With luv,

BD

:huh: ....that's a lot of work for so little rewards as a couple of rep points. It's probably nothing, most people don't pay attention to how much anyone accumulates on any given sunday. So if they really are doing something crazy like getting the fam in some major points ponzee scheme or an overzealous fan base, I say let them have it.

No harm, no foul.

But of course, maybe I just figure if I play nice, I'll shoot up to 2K faster....Must. Feel. Admired!  :P

With luv,

BD

I was just commenting about scott's 3 thousand comment. At times, it may be so earned. I have no idea why someone would want to shoot up their rep points but I can see it happening. And i do believe that it has happened, especially if someone is making one sentence comments etc and gets many rep points per week.

Why anyone would do this is the question.

Why anyone would care is a bigger question.  Sounds kind of like stalking.  I can imagine why someone might be amused at my count and tease me about it or make jokes about their own, but anyone who is keeping track of someone else's rep point to the point of wondering where their points are coming from is a bit overconcerned about what others think, imo.

Anyone who thinks that overall rep points are a measure of important comments coming from someone needs only to look at my count.

I make it a habit to use up my 50 rep points daily.  At times I have not been able to give a poster a rep point because they have already been used up or I may feel like they merit more than one or maybe I just feel like they need a pat on the back or a hug or the cyberequivalent so I will go find old posts to give them rep points for when I have extras…it is no great conspiracy.  There are certain posters who I will rep anything they say because of those posts that merit so much more than one point so the one sentence comments that get points from me can generally be explained that way.

The only rep point measure that might have any great significance is how many rep points a particular post gets.

There are posters I won't give rep points to except in rare circumstances (such as mistakes from clicking on the wrong button) because I disagree with their general style of posting, usually because they focus too much on attacking or criticizing others….and you happen to be one of them. Given that I am apparently the one who gives out most rep points, unless you plan on changing your behaviour sometime soon, you shouldn't count on any significant jump in points at least from me.

If you care enough about rep points that you are wondering how to increase your own count, then you now know how you would be able to get more from me.  I can't imagine why you would be worried about someone else's count, that is just ridiculous.

Edited by calmoriah

The only rep point measure that might have any great significance is how many rep points a particular post gets.

I'm always most impressed when someone gets a rep point from a person they usually spar with. It shows that they are approaching an issue from all sides and taking different perspectives into account as they think through the issue and write a comment. 

So when Wade Englund gives Scott Lloyd a rep point, shrug.

When California Boy gives Scott Lloyd a rep point. Nice job, Scott!

And vice versa.

Sure, I think there are plenty of 'good old boy' (and girl) rep points handed out. There are also plenty of 'just for fun' rep points handed out on silly threads like this one. The thing is, who really cares?  No one is going to value your opinion more because you have rep points or less because you lack them. All it does in the end is show how the board demographics are skewed. And who spends the most time here.

On this board, we lean orthodox and *cough* Cal needs a hobby. ;)

Edited by mercyngrace

I'm always most impressed when someone gets a rep point from a person they usually spar with. It shows that they are approaching an issue from all sides and taking different perspectives into account as they think through the issue and write a comment.

So when Wade Englund gives Scott Lloyd a rep point, shrug.

When California Boy gives Scott Lloyd a rep point. Nice job, Scott!

And vice versa.

Sure, I think there are plenty of 'good old boy' (and girl) rep points handed out. There are also plenty of 'just for fun' rep points handed out on silly threads like this one. The thing is, who really cares? No one is going to value your opinion more because you have rep points or less because you lack them. All it does in the end is show how the board demographics are skewed. And who spends the most time here.

On this board, we lean orthodox and *cough* Cal needs a hobby. ;)

Agreement with position expressed is not my only consideration in awarding a rep point. Eloquence of expression, soundness of argumentation, keen observation, accuracy, wit, humor, outstanding insight, solid documentation, thoughtful analysis, demonstrated expertise are all factors I weigh.

I hope and expect there are others here with a similar attitude. To the extent that there are, accumulated rep points is a point worthy of cinsideration, although not the only one. It is no doubt the case that some have fewer points largely because they post less frequently. Even considering a ratio of points to number of posts is flawed in that some here had a substantial posting history long before rep points were instituted.

One metric I would truly find interesting is a ranking of the most frequent awarder of rep points for each individual poster. While for many of us the top position would be held by the generous calmoriah, it might be enlightening to see who holds the second, third, fourth spots and so on.

Edited by Scott Lloyd

Why anyone would care is a bigger question.  Sounds kind of like stalking.  I can imagine why someone might be amused at my count and tease me about it or make jokes about their own, but anyone who is keeping track of someone else's rep point to the point of wondering where their points are coming from is a bit overconcerned about what others think, imo.

Anyone who thinks that overall rep points are a measure of important comments coming from someone needs only to look at my count.

I make it a habit to use up my 50 rep points daily.  At times I have not been able to give a poster a rep point because they have already been used up or I may feel like they merit more than one or maybe I just feel like they need a pat on the back or a hug or the cyberequivalent so I will go find old posts to give them rep points for when I have extras…it is no great conspiracy.  There are certain posters who I will rep anything they say because of those posts that merit so much more than one point so the one sentence comments that get points from me can generally be explained that way.

There are posters I won't give rep points to except in rare circumstances (such as mistakes from clicking on the wrong button) because I disagree with their general style of posting, usually because they focus too much on attacking or criticizing others….and you happen to be one of them. Given that I am apparently the one who gives out most rep points, unless you plan on changing your behaviour sometime soon, you shouldn't count on any significant jump in points at least from me.

If you care enough about rep points that you are wondering how to increase your own count, then you now know how you would be able to get more from me.  I can't imagine why you would be worried about someone else's count, that is just ridiculous.

I am not stalking anyone but i am interested in reward systems. And rep points represent an award system. And I do think that there are posters who care how many they may have. But like I said, although someone may have 3000 rep points or even 2000 rep points it may not have to do with the quality of the posts. And that was my point. The rep point system can be abused. When I wrote my comment I was not referring to you at all. I think that there is a bigger question: Does the rep point system create better posts for the board? Maybe so. But I do find a rep point system interesting. I didn't even know it existed until a couple of years ago.

And Cal, I know that I have run foul of you so I am not counting on rep points from you. But then again, I don't think that I deserve any rep points at all. I am just a guy with time on my hands who posts on this board until my time runs out. :sorry:

Edited by why me

One metric I would truly find interesting is a ranking of the most frequent awarder of rep points for each individual poster. While for many of us the top position would be held by the generous calmoriah, it might be enlightening to see who holds the second, third, fourth spots and so on.

Agreed. I think that it would be interesting. However, I never meant to imply that the most givers of rep points are abusing the system because I was not referring to that at all. I was writing about abuse of the system where someone just increases someone's rep points regardless of post quality because they are friends or relatives of the poster.

I was just commenting about scott's 3 thousand comment. At times, it may be so earned. I have no idea why someone would want to shoot up their rep points but I can see it happening. And i do believe that it has happened, especially if someone is making one sentence comments etc and gets many rep points per week.

Why anyone would do this is the question.

I've rep'd up one-sentence comments before. Mainly Nehor's...his one-liner's make me snicker. Stop worrying about earning. Rep points can show something is worthwhile to read. But sometimes it's a way to say "thank you," or "cool," or "haha," or "man you could use a rep today, it's been cruddy" or "I like what you generally say." You're WAY over-analyzing this and assuming far more into rep-points than its worth. It's an up-arrow ticker, not an award system. You will not get a blender for making it past a certain mark. No checks in the mail for amazing contributions will flow. Prestige will not flow to you like milk and honey (well, maybe to Cal....but who could possibly not like her?).This is the definition of making mountains out of mole-hills.

With luv,

BD 

Edited by BlueDreams

Agreed. I think that it would be interesting. However, I never meant to imply that the most givers of rep points are abusing the system because I was not referring to that at all. I was writing about abuse of the system where someone just increases someone's rep points regardless of post quality because they are friends or relatives of the poster.

Well you can always tell who is giving someone the rep points so I don't see what difference that makes.

I've rep'd up one-sentence comments before. Mainly Nehor's...his one-liner's make me snicker. Stop worrying about earning. Rep points can show something is worthwhile to read. But sometimes it's a way to say "thank you," or "cool," or "haha," or "man you could use a rep today, it's been cruddy" or "I like what you generally say." You're WAY over-analyzing this and assuming far more into rep-points than its worth.

With luv,

BD 

Agreed. But then again I am guy who works six months a year and gets paid for twelve. So, I have time to over analyse. :acute:

Edited by why me

I never knew that. Ther is much I don't know. I never realized that posters can see who is giving them rep points.

Just click on any rep point box and you can tell who has given points.

That is why it is obvious to people that I've given out so many. I don't go around saying it to them in PMs. That would take even more time than I want to spend on the boards.

For example, in the second post in this thread I believe, bluebell got points from Val, me, Bluedreams and Ken.

Edited by calmoriah

No harm, no foul.

With luv,

BD

Yeah but look at your percentages.

Nearly half your posts get a rep point.

That's tremendous!  That's what counts imo.

They should have those ratios displayed imo

Why Me:  You think some relatives create accounts just to up a person's rep points?  That doesn't seem likely.  I think if I were to make such a request of a family member, they would look at me like I'm insane.