Seriously No Politics ×

Prophet Scouts

JAHS

I am not sure the purpose of his work is to be great art; rather he paints or draws instead of writing his opinion.  I don't think I would ever purchase is artwork, but at times I see perspectives I can appreciate. He goes too far for me more often than not, but there is a place for his opinion at the table. 

I am not sure the purpose of his work is to be great art; rather he paints or draws instead of writing his opinion.  I don't think I would ever purchase is artwork, but at times I see perspectives I can appreciate. He goes too far for me more often than not, but there is a place for his opinion at the table. 

Not according to Stack, who writes this as an opinion piece, rather than as a reporter.

Art should either be beautiful or have a message. I see neither.

Oh, it has a message alright.  He usually gives extremely detailed instruction on how it should be interpreted as well less anyone be confused and think he finds acceptable anything hinting of being politically liberal.

I am not sure the purpose of his work is to be great art; rather he paints or draws instead of writing his opinion. I don't think I would ever purchase is artwork, but at times I see perspectives I can appreciate. He goes too far for me more often than not, but there is a place for his opinion at the table.

He definitely has a right to speak out in whatever way he wants…well, within the usual legal limitations. The question for me is whether it is an effective way to share his ideas to persuade others to appreciate them or if it feels more like he is attempting to force feed them to people.

I suppose it must work for some people as a celebration of their shared beliefs which is why they buy his stuff, but it seems to me it isn't very effective in communication beyond the group who agrees with him.

I don't personally appreciate a lot of the idealised realism (I know that is a contradiction, but it conveys what I see in pictures like the prophets in the temple and the scouts where an impossible event is painted as if it were real) as well as a lot of the Thomas Kinkade and similiar artists, but I can get that many find them uplifting with their positive or comforting with familiar beauty...but McNaughton often trashes others in some of his work so I don't see his work as uplifting or inspiring myself, but depressing.

When I first looked at the OP, I thought it would be about scouts on the lookout for any up and coming potential prophets to be. But I realized that's not how it works.

I thought it was going to be some form of a joke. I was not disappointed.

I absolutely hate McNaughton's work. Entirely. 100%. It's a terrible amalgamation of political/cultural ideology mixed with various religious iconography to get some form of legitimacy to his ideals as truth. It's disgusting, divisive, and quite often just plain ridiculous (eg. this one). He should have stuck with his mediocre landscapes.

With general disgust and artistic snobbery,

BD

I absolutely hate McNaughton's work. Entirely. 100%. It's a terrible amalgamation of political/cultural ideology mixed with various religious iconography to get some form of legitimacy to his ideals as truth. It's disgusting, divisive, and quite often just plain ridiculous (eg. this one). He should have stuck with his mediocre landscapes.

BD

Tell us how you really feel, BD.

I agree with you. Those are the feelings I get from his work. I know a few that seem to just get the positive side of his message and ignore where he is trashing others so I guess it is possible, but most I see compliment him online tend to be divisive in their politics so it appears to me he is promoting contention unnecessarily and I see it as very unfortunate that there appears to be a significant market for it.

Oh, it has a message alright.  He usually gives extremely detailed instruction on how it should be interpreted as well less anyone be confused and think he finds acceptable anything hinting of being politically liberal.

Sorry, I meant an interesting message.

BD

Amen and amen.

He definitely has a right to speak out in whatever way he wants…well, within the usual legal limitations. The question for me is whether it is an effective way to share his ideas to persuade others to appreciate them or if it feels more like he is attempting to force feed them to people.

I suppose it must work for some people as a celebration of their shared beliefs which is why they buy his stuff, but it seems to me it isn't very effective in communication beyond the group who agrees with him.

I don't personally appreciate a lot of the idealised realism (I know that is a contradiction, but it conveys what I see in pictures like the prophets in the temple and the scouts where an impossible event is painted as if it were real) as well as a lot of the Thomas Kinkade and similiar artists, but I can get that many find them uplifting with their positive or comforting with familiar beauty...but McNaughton often trashes others in some of his work so I don't see his work as uplifting or inspiring myself, but depressing.

I agree with you. 

I generally chuckle at McNoughton's paintings, but I actually like the Scout-Prophets one (other than the awful error in perspective that makes the second row midgets!) 

I suspect the Prophets themselves would love nothing more than to have been able to sit around a campfire with each other.  I'm sure it would have been a very interesting conversation.

I can also appreciate the effort he took to get the uniforms, ranks and badges right (as far as I can tell).

I have a sneaking suspicion that President George Albert Smith, President Benson, and President Monson would approve of this one. Not that I can speak for them. But having grown up with the Boy Scouts as a heavy influence in my life, I can honestly say that it helped me find my testimony, and it irks me when people don't appreciate its value. I'm not saying anyone here has done that per se, but I'm not sure what the beef is all about.

BD

I've never heard of the guy or his work before this moment, but as I generally trust your opinion, I will assume that he's not worth checking further into.  That being said, I rather liked the painting of all the modern prophets posing around the stairs in the Temple (SLC Temple, I assume), that appeared above.  That one seemed fairly innocuous and interesting.

I have a sneaking suspicion that President George Albert Smith, President Benson, and President Monson would approve of this one. Not that I can speak for them. But having grown up with the Boy Scouts as a heavy influence in my life, I can honestly say that it helped me find my testimony, and it irks me when people don't appreciate its value. I'm not saying anyone here has done that per se, but I'm not sure what the beef is all about.

As I said, I know virtually nothing about his work, but from what is said here he is not shy about expressing his conservative views in his art, so that alone would cause controversy.  

I've never heard of the guy or his work before this moment, but as I generally trust your opinion, I will assume that he's not worth checking further into. That being said, I rather liked the painting of all the modern prophets posing around the stairs in the Temple (SLC Temple, I assume), that appeared above. That one seemed fairly innocuous and interesting.

Not the same artist.

Btw, that painting came out while I was working at a church themed bookstore so I had plenty of time to look at it....idea wasn't bad and for the most part execution was okay, but a few the proportion was a bit off which made it look unnatural, kind of photoshopped. The all being dressed the same made that error obvious in my opinion.

As I said, I know virtually nothing about his work, but from what is said here he is not shy about expressing his conservative views in his art, so that alone would cause controversy.

Ultra conservative...and possibly racist.

Archived