Seriously No Politics ×

Article On Mormons Leading The Way To Lgbt Inclusion

rockpond

This Huffington Post article summarizes the efforts of seven church members who are following the charge we've been given: "As a church, nobody should be more loving and compassionate. Let us be at the forefront in terms of expressing love, compassion and outreach. Let’s not have families exclude or be disrespectful of those who choose a different lifestyle as a result of their feelings about their own gender." -- Elder Cook (on MormonsandGays.org)

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4958132

When he says that openly gay members no longer fear "excommunication or Church discipline" I'm assuming he's referring to those who don't act on their homosexual desires?  Surely the Bishop wasn't saying "don't worry about the law of chastity anymore."

Nope, he's saying this:

For gay Mormons, that means we can shrug off the cloak of fear we often wear, because we no longer face excommunication or church discipline, whether we're single and living inside the confines of the Church policy as we understand it today, married with a partner of the same sex, or anywhere in between.

I believe he's rewriting policy to be the way he wants it to be (he may be restricting it to his own ward on rereading it).  His former bishop may not have taken action (or so it would seem from his comments) even if the handbook still contains the policy, other bishops may feel the need to react differently.

This is the current policy as stated in Handbook 2 on lds.org:

Homosexual Behavior and Same-Gender Attraction

Homosexual behavior violates the commandments of God, is contrary to the purposes of human sexuality, and deprives people of the blessings that can be found in family life and in the saving ordinances of the gospel. Those who persist in such behavior or who influence others to do so are subject to Church discipline. Homosexual behavior can be forgiven through sincere repentance.

If members engage in homosexual behavior, Church leaders should help them have a clear understanding of faith in Jesus Christ, the process of repentance, and the purpose of life on earth.

While opposing homosexual behavior, the Church reaches out with understanding and respect to individuals who are attracted to those of the same gender.

If members feel same-gender attraction but do not engage in any homosexual behavior, leaders should support and encourage them in their resolve to live the law of chastity and to control unrighteous thoughts. These members may receive Church callings. If they are worthy and qualified in every other way, they may also hold temple recommends and receive temple ordinances.

Don't you think that is rather hard to do when the writer himself mentions the first individual as being more compassionate by not evoking church discipline against gays even if the policy states what it does?

Don't you think that is rather hard to do when the writer himself mentions the first individual as being more compassionate by not evoking church discipline against gays even if the policy states what it does?

The author did not say that Bishop Fletcher (the first individual) was being "more compassionate".  He said that the Bishop welcomed everyone into the congregation.

I don't understand Mayne's comment about no longer facing excommunication or church discipline.  Maybe he's just saying that those individuals were able to attend ward meetings without having to worry about being called into a church court.  We know from Mayne's personal story that he understood the need to live as a celibate gay man and strictly follow current church policy.

With a situation that was as publicized as Mayne's, I doubt that his Bishop would have blatantly ignored church policy.

I wasn't intending for this to become a thread about church policy. I had hoped to just highlight the positive work being done out there to foster love and inclusion of our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters.

I personally support my gay sisters and lesbian brothers but I find their opposites less appealing.

Archived