Seriously No Politics ×

International Women's Day.

Today is International Women's Day. I was surprised that no one talked about it. I did not even know about it until an hour ago.  I know it is not popular for Mormon women to speak of it, but the day is what we make of it. I am not a man hater extremist but I have seen and been impacted by the mistreatment and lack of rights for women in other areas of the world.

And in truth, women in America in general are pushed, prodded, cajoled and presured to smile all the time, to be a size something or other, be perfect, do it all, put out for the boys, take our clothes off and be happy about photoshopping on magazine covers.

If you have a decent man, hang onto him.

I know it is not popular for Mormon women to speak of it, but the day is what we make of it.

Only not popular in the sense that no one really thinks about it.  This is the first time I have heard about it in the US that I remember in fact, though undoubtedly I have heard it mentioned in passing…I do remember something about the UN's celebration of it.

It is not something that is made a big deal of in the US that I am aware of, possibly because it was made a big deal of in the Soviet Union and Europe.  Got to be different after all.****

Now in Russia, they had holidays celebrating women (while in reality being a lot behind the US in equality in my experience, the female professors would tell us how all the male professors treated them like secretaries) and these were noticed by members.

Here is mention of the holiday in conjunction with an award in Australia:

https://www.lds.org/church/news/print/latter-day-saint-recognized-for-aboriginal-family-history-work?lang=eng&country=au

As for efforts to achieve official recognition in the United States of America, actress and human rights activistBeata Pozniak worked with the Mayor of Los Angeles, the Governor of California, to lobby members of the U.S. Congress to propose official recognition of the holiday in the USA. In February, 1994, H.J. Res. 316 was introduced by Rep. Maxine Waters, along with 79 cosponsors, in an attempt to officially recognize March 8 of that year as International Women's Day. The bill was subsequently referred to, and remained in, the House Committee on Post Office and Civil Service. No vote of either house of Congress was achieved on this piece of legislation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Women's_Day

Edited by calmoriah

Only not popular in the sense that no one really thinks about it.  This is the first time I have heard about it in the US that I remember in fact, though undoubtedly I have heard it mentioned in passing…I do remember something about the UN's celebration of it.

It is not something that is made a big deal of in the US that I am aware of, possibly because it was made a big deal of in the Soviet Union and Europe.  Got to be different after all.****

Now in Russia, they had holidays celebrating women (while in reality being a lot behind the US in equality in my experience, the female professors would tell us how all the male professors treated them like secretaries) and these were noticed by members.

Here is mention of the holiday in conjunction with an award in Australia:

https://www.lds.org/church/news/print/latter-day-saint-recognized-for-aboriginal-family-history-work?lang=eng&country=au

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Women's_Day

I suppose it is important to me because I have been in other cultures, seen it and experienced it. I must clarify that my time as a Mormon woman has renewed my faith in men.

While celebrations of principles are nice, I think it is better to live the principle.  I think we seriously try to do that in the LDS faith.

Edited by calmoriah

I suppose it is important to me because I have been in other cultures, seen it and experienced it. I must clarify that my time as a Mormon woman has renewed my faith in men.

It's for this reason and a few others that make it hard to leave my religion.

Today is International Women's Day. I was surprised that no one talked about it. I did not even know about it until an hour ago.  I know it is not popular for Mormon women to speak of it, but the day is what we make of it.

I've never known that it was not "popular" for "Mormon women" to speak of International Women's Day... I think I can safely say that is not the case at all.

GG

I didn't even know there was an International Women's Day, so I would never to think to say anything about it, but now that I know it exists, I don't really see the point because our church acknowledges all women on Mother's Day. 

I didn't even know there was an International Women's Day, so I would never to think to say anything about it, but now that I know it exists, I don't really see the point because our church acknowledges all women on Mother's Day. 

Exactly, there is no reason to even acknoledge this "day". We already have it. I am sure there is some overt political reason some were in the world for this day.

Until very recently, International Women's Day was really only celebrated in the old Soviet bloc (though it's roots actually start in the USA) and it mainly celebrated women as workers. The UN took it up, in the 90's I think, and since then its been growing in stature around the world.  There were approx 500 events in the USA and the UK as well as many others in most countries in the world.  For the specifics, check their website.  Its not just about motherhood, but seeks to draw attention to all the issues women face - such as a lack of education, female genital mutilation, discrimination, work opportunities - and get women to help other women wherever they are in the world, as well as celebrating women. 

I know that the Church acknowledges all women on Mother's Day - that we are all considered potential mothers and carers at least, but, as a single, unmarried and childless woman, I loathe Mother's Day and feel uncomfortable even in the Church.  I end up feeling like I'm lowest on the pecking order and a charity case as the children take their gifts to their mothers and grandmothers and other mothers and finally to those that are left (left behind).  Then I have to listen to men extolling the virtues of their wives and mothers - something I have never had the opportunity to be, whether or not I wanted to.  Women aren't just wives and mothers - they are daughters, sisters, aunts and people who also care and teach and support and love their families.  I can't imagine how painful it must be for some women, who don't have contact with family at all (eg having been through the care system), on Mother's Day. 

Don't get me wrong - I am happy to recognise my own mother on Mother's Day (and Dad on Father's Day).  For me, International Women's Day covers a much broader spectrum and celebrates women as women, in all their roles and diversity as well as seeking to help women, not just praise them.  Its about women collectively as well as individually (and Mother's Day seems to me to be more about the individual).  In addition, what's wrong with having another day of celebration? 

Edited by sheilauk

I know that the Church acknowledges all women on Mother's Day - that we are all considered potential mothers and carers at least, but, as a single, unmarried and childless woman, I loathe Mother's Day and feel uncomfortable even in the Church.  I end up feeling like I'm lowest on the pecking order and a charity case as the children take their gifts to their mothers and grandmothers and other mothers and finally to those that are left (left behind).  Then I have to listen to men extolling the virtues of their wives and mothers - something I have never had the opportunity to be, whether or not I wanted to.  Women aren't just wives and mothers - they are daughters, sisters, aunts and people who also care and teach and support and love their families.  I can't imagine how painful it must be for some women, who don't have contact with family at all (eg having been through the care system), on Mother's Day. 

Don't get me wrong - I am happy to recognise my own mother on Mother's Day (and Dad on Father's Day).  For me, International Women's Day covers a much broader spectrum and celebrates women as women, in all their roles and diversity as well as seeking to help women, not just praise them.  Its about women collectively as well as individually (and Mother's Day seems to me to be more about the individual).  In addition, what's wrong with having another day of celebration? 

Hello Sheilauk...

Boy, do I know exactly what you mean... In fact, I don't attend Church on Mother's Day... the one day I really purposely stay home.  But even so, I don't feel like I'm the lowest in pecking order, nor do I feel like I'm a charity case, and I hope you will find a way for you not to feel that way because you aren't... I do get weary of the emphasis on mothers, even families.  Almost every talk or gen conf address has to do with mothers and families.  Only once in a while are the needs of the single woman addressed, or the non-mothers.  

As you know from my posts, I'm widowed, alone, no children... so I'm always in the temple and the chapel alone.  I don't attend the ward single adult activities, nor the Empty Nesters activities... yet I participate in Sunday classes and speak up without hesitation.  I've had sisters come up and hug me and say what an example I am to them, or that they wished they "knew" as much as I do, etc.  Well, I don't have lots of responsibilities that they do, so I have the time to study (and even participate here). 

I feel my life is rich and full because I don't sit back, and if there is something I want to attend, I do so, etc.

Anyway, Sheilauk, let me encourage you to stand tall and confident in who you are... you are a beloved daughter of loving Heavenly parents. and I encourage you to be in a position to attend the temple and listen closely to the blessings that are and will be yours...

from the beach on a beautiful clear, sunny day... the sky so blue and cloudless...

GG

Our church held a "Celebrate Womanhood" on the 9th....Special speaker and all. 

The one book I read on being a woman, that I really got a lot out of, is called Captivating, by Staci Eldridge. She really does a great job describing the magnitude of importance we women have. It really helped out a lot during an extreme dry spell in my marriage. When you feel rejected by your husband, it is great to know that the Lord fills all those needs we expect our husbands to fill. I'm not down playing the role of the husband...just that there are so many men out there today not fulfilling their roll as a God-honoring man, or husband. I've learned to turn to God, who is called our "Husband" a few times in the Bible, and I've learned to be content during a time when my marriage is poor. My God is a romantic, and an encourager, and a provider, and a leader, and my knight in shining armor. He makes me feel beautiful, and takes me on a grand adventure...I feel irreplaceable, and loved, and wanted, and sought after, and delighted in...even if it's not my husband that makes me feel this way. My God sure does!. 

Our church held a "Celebrate Womanhood" on the 9th....Special speaker and all.

The one book I read on being a woman, that I really got a lot out of, is called Captivating, by Staci Eldridge. She really does a great job describing the magnitude of importance we women have. It really helped out a lot during an extreme dry spell in my marriage. When you feel rejected by your husband, it is great to know that the Lord fills all those needs we expect our husbands to fill. I'm not down playing the role of the husband...just that there are so many men out there today not fulfilling their roll as a God-honoring man, or husband. I've learned to turn to God, who is called our "Husband" a few times in the Bible, and I've learned to be content during a time when my marriage is poor. My God is a romantic, and an encourager, and a provider, and a leader, and my knight in shining armor. He makes me feel beautiful, and takes me on a grand adventure...I feel irreplaceable, and loved, and wanted, and sought after, and delighted in...even if it's not my husband that makes me feel this way. My God sure does!.

Thank you for this wonderful post. My marriage is such a roller coaster with a hubby that treats me like a child vs. a partner/wife/best friend, sometimes. I think I'm going to start thinking like you...having a man that cherishes me, never yells at me, doesn't take me for granted, girds me up when I'm down, builds me up to my potential. My new man is a wonderful Saviour/God. This is the starting of something great! Thanks again! :)

Thank you for this wonderful post. My marriage is such a roller coaster with a hubby that treats me like a child vs. a partner/wife/best friend, sometimes. I think I'm going to start thinking like you...having a man that cherishes me, never yells at me, doesn't take me for granted, girds me up when I'm down, builds me up to my potential. My new man is a wonderful Saviour/God. This is the starting of something great! Thanks again! :)

It's amazing what this mindset does for attitude, and overall outlook on life! I keep a "love note prayer journal" and address the days to, My Husband...Lover of My Soul...or what ever I need Jesus to be for me that day. It's amazing! I always feel like I'm on an awesome date. Love it!