Seriously No Politics ×

Inadvertent Offensiveness

For some reason, I seem to be offending people today. I am not sure what they are reacting to. Sorry.

Sometimes the biggest obstacle to being a Mormon are Mormons. :sad:

Gwen

It could be a form of persecution complex syndrome.  LDS are so tied into their faith that it is an attack on them personally and the church.  Anything said that hints at anti Mormonism, for example, but could run the gamut.  LDS will need to develop an even thicker skin, and more solid faith than ever, even since the JS days.  And search the truth to a deeper faith they get themselves, rather than lean on others.  Often I feel like I'm watching people act like I use to, in different atmospheres.  If I hadn't had a crisis in belief of Mormonism, I'd be right there with them.      

It could be a form of persecution complex syndrome.  LDS are so tied into their faith that it is an attack on them personally and the church.  Anything said that hints at anti Mormonism, for example, but could run the gamut.  LDS will need to develop an even thicker skin, and more solid faith than ever, even since the JS days.  And search the truth to a deeper faith they get themselves, rather than lean on others.  Often I feel like I'm watching people act like I use to, in different atmospheres.  If I hadn't had a crisis in belief of Mormonism, I'd be right there with them.      

I'm actually very firmly Mormon, and unapologetic too. :)

I get attacked by EV, and Muslim folk at times, but having been both, I know their games, so they do not threaten me at all. Most of the time, I just laugh at them. As to Mormons and Mormonism, it is not perfect and as a Mormon will confront things I see. It is not an attack on Mormonism but on imperfection. People are welcome to disagree with me, though it would be nice if they were not offended and angry.   :)

For some reason, I seem to be offending people today. I am not sure what they are reacting to. Sorry.

Sometimes the biggest obstacle to being a Mormon are Mormons. :sad:

Gwen

So you aren't sure what "they" are reacting to??? Well, let me make it perfectly clear.... again.

I am not "offended," but I strongly object to your broadcasting on the open board your own personal but erroneous opinions about Mormons and/or Mormon culture that may cause a non-LDS person participating on the board to get a wrong impression about Mormonism or its members...  may even turn them away or keep them from further investigating the Church.

Case in point... the thread you started here in the Social Forum on "Do Americans Know?  Do Mormons Know?... specifically your post #25 where you make two statements that misrepresent Mormons and our faith.  You have every right to your personal opinions, absolutely, but when you put those opinions out on the open board as if they are based in fact don't expect those of us who know they are erroneous to simply sit by and let you blather forth those opinions without responding.

Statement #1... As Mormons we will get in a lot of trouble for speaking out against the Military/Industrial Complex.    

Statement #2... You have learned that there are penalties for not towing "the Mormon political line."

I, and a couple of others have objected, asking you to enlighten us on just what "trouble" and/or "penalties" you are talking about.  Further, we have asked you to identify just what is the "Mormon political line." 

In response to my posts challenging these statements, you said you appreciated my criticism but felt that the "truth" should be told but perhaps not in this venue... Truth??  Really?? 

Ellen, I'm not offended per se... but I do call you on posting your personal opinions as if they are factual, which they are not, and apply to "Mormons," which they don't (see statement one).

And also making statements such as there being a "Mormon political line" that we are supposed to follow or face penalties (see statement 2).

Then you start this thread on "inadvertent offensiveness" wherein you posit that you just aren't sure what we are reacting to...  really?

GG

So you aren't sure what "they" are reacting to??? Well, let me make it perfectly clear.... again.

I am not "offended," but I strongly object to your broadcasting on the open board your own personal but erroneous opinions about Mormons and/or Mormon culture that may cause a non-LDS person participating on the board to get a wrong impression about Mormonism or its members...  may even turn them away or keep them from further investigating the Church.

Case in point... the thread you started here in the Social Forum on "Do Americans Know?  Do Mormons Know?... specifically your post #25 where you make two statements that misrepresent Mormons and our faith.  You have every right to your personal opinions, absolutely, but when you put those opinions out on the open board as if they are based in fact don't expect those of us who know they are erroneous to simply sit by and let you blather forth those opinions without responding.

Statement #1... As Mormons we will get in a lot of trouble for speaking out against the Military/Industrial Complex.    

Statement #2... You have learned that there are penalties for not towing "the Mormon political line."

I, and a couple of others have objected, asking you to enlighten us on just what "trouble" and/or "penalties" you are talking about.  Further, we have asked you to identify just what is the "Mormon political line." 

In response to my posts challenging these statements, you said you appreciated my criticism but felt that the "truth" should be told but perhaps not in this venue... Truth??  Really?? 

Ellen, I'm not offended per se... but I do call you on posting your personal opinions as if they are factual, which they are not, and apply to "Mormons," which they don't (see statement one).

And also making statements such as there being a "Mormon political line" that we are supposed to follow or face penalties (see statement 2).

Then you start this thread on "inadvertent offensiveness" wherein you posit that you just aren't sure what we are reacting to...  really?

GG

Actually, I have gotten trouble over disputing opinions of _____ Mormons, one in my Ward, and the other was one of the Sisters who had previously taught me in Kirtland, Ohio. It is perfectly fine for someone to have an opinion, but mine is neither Democrat nor Republican nor perhaps in the middle. I have my own opinions, but to state them on this forum is a sure thread locker.

OK, well perhaps it is not the Mormon party line, but being Mormon, I have somehow found that all who I associate with are Mormons. Perhaps I should remedy that.

One option is to become inactive and let it all cool off.

Since you know who I am, you have the perfect opportunity to get me thrown from the church. I've been worried that this whole Mormon thing would collapse on me. It has been a good three years or March 11th would have been. I can handle it.

Ellen you are a good addition to the Board,. But if you continue to open multiple daily threads to air personal complaints you will be put on restricted status.

OK, well perhaps it is not the Mormon party line, but being Mormon, I have somehow found that all who I associate with are Mormons. Perhaps I should remedy that.

One option is to become inactive and let it all cool off.

Since you know who I am, you have the perfect opportunity to get me thrown from the church. I've been worried that this whole Mormon thing would collapse on me. It has been a good three years or March 11th would have been. I can handle it.

Okay, this will be my last comment...

1.  An option is to become inactive??? Now why would you want to do that... you have a tendency to go to wild extremes and it shows in some of your posts... such as this comment that maybe you should become inactive... huh?

2. Since I know who you are,  I have the perfect opportunity to get you thrown from the Church... that's bizarre... why would I ever want to get you thrown from the Church?  Another extreme that you post that has no basis in reality or fact.

GG

"And he who twits the nose of the offender in a humorous fashion is a genius"

-Nehor's Addendum

This quote tickled me...hopefully the offender's nose isn't twisted too hard, tho!

Proverbs 30:33 ~ Surely the churning of milk bringeth forth butter, and the wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood: so the forcing of wrath bringeth forth strife.

I'm wondering if Gwen would just like a little understanding...not condemnation, but a good session of communication from one who is trying to understand her, and who is willing to take the time to answer questions and help her understand what she is confused over. As an investigator of the church, I have been blessed with numerous members who have been willing to talk hours with me and patiently sit through all my questioning. This, above everything else is what keeps me coming to the church. This is what keeps me searching...it's the "speaking truth in love" and the kindness, and the extra mile everyone seems to go to reach out to me. 

Gwen...wouldn't that make a difference to you, too?

I've heard that LDSaints are taught "friendshipping" to reach neighbors and such. It seems to me that the "friendshipping" needs to begin inside the church...among the members themselves. Didn't Jesus say, " A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." John 13:34

Just a thought.

I'm wondering if Gwen would just like a little understanding...not condemnation, but a good session of communication from one who is trying to understand her, and who is willing to take the time to answer questions and help her understand what she is confused over. As an investigator of the church, I have been blessed with numerous members who have been willing to talk hours with me and patiently sit through all my questioning. This, above everything else is what keeps me coming to the church. This is what keeps me searching...it's the "speaking truth in love" and the kindness, and the extra mile everyone seems to go to reach out to me. 

Gwen...wouldn't that make a difference to you, too?

Hello Melody...

I'm really happy you are investigating the Church, and if you ever want, I too stand willing to reach out and discuss any of your questions with patience and understanding.

I hope you'll continue to participate on this Board... lots of good people...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Just because one is paranoid doesn't mean there isn't somebody out to get you.

Edited by ERayR

My experience is that there's a very broad spectrum of beliefs in Mormonism and that's okay. What's great about Mormonism is that it's not dogma that binds us together, it's covenants.

When I choose to look at others through a covenant lens, I find I'm much happeir towards others despite the sometimes weird things they might think.