Seriously No Politics ×

Sister Missionaries Discouraged.

I'm concerned. On Facebook, I have encountered Sister Missionaries and Elder Missionaries to some extent sounding very discouraged. I spend a lot of time on the Internet and this is something I am unused to. If someone that has an IN with the Missionary leaders is on here, please alert them.

Additionally, we could each take the time to encourage our Missionaries when we encounter them.

I'm concerned. On Facebook, I have encountered Sister Missionaries and Elder Missionaries to some extent sounding very discouraged. I spend a lot of time on the Internet and this is something I am unused to. If someone that has an IN with the Missionary leaders is on here, please alert them.

Additionally, we could each take the time to encourage our Missionaries when we encounter them.

If my Mission was any indication discouragement is a daily trial. I wouldn't worry too much unless it becomes continuous and drains them.

I came back from assisting with my first chapel tour tonight. I admit it went better then what I envisioned when I first heard of the program.

If my Mission was any indication discouragement is a daily trial. I wouldn't worry too much unless it becomes continuous and drains them.

I came back from assisting with my first chapel tour tonight. I admit it went better then what I envisioned when I first heard of the program.

No. This is a big departure from what I have encountered in the last three years. In my experience, Mormons do not talk about themselves in self depricative ways. I do not know if I have encountered the same Sister twice or what. The first time was when she said that she knew she was not as good as the Elders, and this time it was about not having the courage to talk to people.

I pointedly encourage any woman, Sister or not, when she speaks badly about herself, and I must say that I have never heard Mormons of any stripe being self critical. This is a cultural anomaly. These Missionaries need our help and now that I write about it, I remember a few weeks ago where the speaker at Sacrament admonished us to join hands with the Missionaries and support them as never before.

I wouldn't mind having a piece of that action, but I'm not sure how many chapel tours are being done here in The Shadow of the Everlasting Hills.

No. This is a big departure from what I have encountered in the last three years. In my experience, Mormons do not talk about themselves in self depricative ways. I do not know if I have encountered the same Sister twice or what. The first time was when she said that she knew she was not as good as the Elders, and this time it was about not having the courage to talk to people.

I pointedly encourage any woman, Sister or not, when she speaks badly about herself, and I must say that I have never heard Mormons of any stripe being self critical. This is a cultural anomaly. These Missionaries need our help and now that I write about it, I remember a few weeks ago where the speaker at Sacrament admonished us to join hands with the Missionaries and support them as never before.

I was incredibly self-critical when I was on my mission. I just usually didn't share with the members. I am still self-critical but again, keep it to myself. It can be draining but the atonement seems to help out a bit.

I wouldn't mind having a piece of that action, but I'm not sure how many chapel tours are being done here in The Shadow of the Everlasting Hills.

Probably not many. This one she almost went to the wrong building (Catholics across the street). Her kid loved the font though. It was hard to convince him that no, we couldn't fill it. He did like playing the organ though.

I was incredibly self-critical when I was on my mission. I just usually didn't share with the members. I am still self-critical but again, keep it to myself. It can be draining but the atonement seems to help out a bit.

Probably not many. This one she almost went to the wrong building (Catholics across the street). Her kid loved the font though. It was hard to convince him that no, we couldn't fill it. He did like playing the organ though.

I had been absolutely self critical my whole life, but then the Mormons got me and absolutely would not permit it.  This included Sisters, Elders and every single other member I met. And, it changed me. Thank you. Now I am a handful, you know, Queen Gwen :)

I feel a deep commitment to the Missionaries because they were such angelic warriors on my behalf in Kirtland. NO one had ever done that for me !!!

I'm sure the missionaries do get discouraged at times, and may even vent about it, although I must say it surprises me this sister is doing it on Facebook(?).

One thing that comes to mind is that the missionaries, both elders and sisters, are younger in age when many come out... and I think that impacts the way they are able to handle the rigors of a mission, including the disappointments.  They welcomed the chance to serve and understandably have great enthusiasm and idealism... and then reality of the world "out there"  hits them in the face. 

My daily prayers include asking blessings on the missionaries... that they won't become discouraged... because I can just imagine what they face...  we just had two new sisters assigned to our ward.  I met them Wed night... they are young... but when I talked to them they were filled with anticipation, and just loved this area and the ward members they have met so far.  Our ward really does take care with the mishes...

I will have them over for a dinner very soon....

GG

I pointedly encourage any woman, Sister or not, when she speaks badly about herself, and I must say that I have never heard Mormons of any stripe being self critical.

Really. I thought they were always saying in womens conferences to stop beating yourself up.

I had been absolutely self critical my whole life, but then the Mormons got me and absolutely would not permit it.  This included Sisters, Elders and every single other member I met. And, it changed me. Thank you. Now I am a handful, you know, Queen Gwen :)

I feel a deep commitment to the Missionaries because they were such angelic warriors on my behalf in Kirtland. NO one had ever done that for me !!!

That all sounds good. Maybe Kirtland casts optimism over people. Maybe they saw that you were more self-critical of yourself than they were of themselves and it spurred them to help you out of the doldrums.

Young people are used to venting.  This may be as much a training of appropriate use of social media as it is a reflection of greater mental health impact.   Maybe she needs you to help her learn to use social media for what it is intended, and not as her personal journal or letter home to mom.  Talk with her about her day and clue her into the parts of it that would be uplifting and how to say those things.   (And how to get help if that is what she needs.)

I have been a member of the church all my life. Always been hypercritical of myself. I think it's more common in Mormon women than you think.

Yes, we encourage each other not to be, but I think we are harder on ourselves than many other communities because we know that perfection is our goal and I definitely fall short of that!!! (all the time)

Yes, we encourage each other not to be, but I think we are harder on ourselves than many other communities because we know that perfection is our goal and I definitely fall short of that!!! (all the time)

Ah yes, don't we all....

GG

Really. I thought they were always saying in womens conferences to stop beating yourself up.

I don't recall ever hearing that women are equal with men. I do hear that women are vital to the church. When sometimes talking to a man or men, the idea that they are in charge and better than women will subtly surface, though most know not to be within arms reach of me when saying it. :) The threat of loss of their chest hair seems to be a good deterrent.

AND, there is that troublesome passage in Genesis, "he shall rule over thee". However, after working since I was 12 years old, and eventually leading work crews that included men, honey will get more bears than a stick. A leader that must threaten and abuse is no leader at all.

So, as far as I am concerned, any man that is abusive in any way should be stripped of all church authority.

Is this what you mean or do you mean don't recall hearing "women are not equal"?

Gosh, I feel like a trubble magnet today. :)  Personally, we are equal, or more so. :)  And in talking with other women privately, we are the glue that holds the church together, doing most of the hard work. As I have said before, there is a single passage in the Bible that gives me pause and that is in Genesis 3:16, "and he shall rule over thee".  I do not like this scripture and do not wish to obey it, though as long as a man in authority over me is reasonable, I will eventually comply after venting my frustrations. :)

Gosh, I feel like a trubble magnet today. :)  Personally, we are equal, or more so. :)  And in talking with other women privately, we are the glue that holds the church together, doing most of the hard work. As I have said before, there is a single passage in the Bible that gives me pause and that is in Genesis 3:16, "and he shall rule over thee".  I do not like this scripture and do not wish to obey it, though as long as a man in authority over me is reasonable, I will eventually comply after venting my frustrations. :)

The only way I deal with the scriptures anymore is to know that they are written by men, who some do get true revelation but many think they are, but aren't.  My compass lets me know which are the right and the wrong ones.   

The only way I deal with the scriptures anymore is to know that they are written by men, who some do get true revelation but many think they are, but aren't.  My compass lets me know which are the right and the wrong ones.   

Through no fault of Mormon men, in the past my relationships with men, beginning in early childhood, have not had good outcomes. I never expected to even like men, AT ALL. So feeling some affection toward them comes as a great surprise, though it is carefully concealed behind a "Burqua" of thinly veiled deception. :)

Let's see, today my dog got me up an hour early. I fed him and took him out. He came back in with a bunch of poop stuck to his backside so I got to clean him. Lovely work. Then I get a call that there needs to be a ramp fixed that was made 90 degrees out from where I said to. That fix took 3 hours and several cuss sessions. I still have to build some more stuff in a hurry because another person changed his mind about what he needed even though the plans were clear when first described. On top of it all I ran out of energy because ,with all the turmoil I forgot to have any breakfast.

Frustration, get used to it. That is life and it doesn't get better with age. Oh, and I don't recall anyone putting his/her arm around me to comfort me in my time of need. That ' be a man ' stuff is so harmful to my sensitive spirit.

Sorry about the rant. I will now go soak my head.

Edited by strappinglad

Let's see, today my dog got me up an hour early. I fed him and took him out. He came back in with a bunch of poop stuck to his backside so I got to clean him. Lovely work. Then I get a call that there needs to be a ramp fixed that was made 90 degrees out from where I said to. That fix took 3 hours and several cuss sessions. I still have to build some more stuff in a hurry because another person change his mind about what he needed even though the plans were clear when first described. On top of it all I ran out of energy because ,with all the turmoil I forgot to have any breakfast.

Frustration, get used to it. That is life and it doesn't get better with age. Oh, and I don't recall anyone putting his/her arm around me to comfort me in my time of need. That ' be a man ' stuff is so harmful to my sensitive spirit.

Allow me:

:friends: 

Just looking for clarity, no offense taken and I know no offense meant.

A couple people's emotions are inflamed at me, and I am completely clueless as to what I have done. :sorry:  In person, people understand that I am rarely very serious, though in life at times we either laugh or crack.   So, perhaps at times humor is a thinly veiled self defense mechanism.

There are some Mormon cultural issues that either drive you starkers bonkers or you laugh about. And, I agree with Tacenda that at times Mormons exhibit a sort of defensiveness. As for me, the truth of the church is completely unassailable, else the statements and accusations of certain EV acquaintances would bother me a lot.

Let's see, today my dog got me up an hour early. I fed him and took him out. He came back in with a bunch of poop stuck to his backside so I got to clean him. Lovely work. Then I get a call that there needs to be a ramp fixed that was made 90 degrees out from where I said to. That fix took 3 hours and several cuss sessions. I still have to build some more stuff in a hurry because another person changed his mind about what he needed even though the plans were clear when first described. On top of it all I ran out of energy because ,with all the turmoil I forgot to have any breakfast.

Sorry about the rant. I will now go soak my head.

Well, sumpin ya gots to unnerstan bout us women folk. It's us wut gets to wear the white dress at wedding. Like ta see youuns try that. :) An we hafta smile all the time, even when we aren't inside. Ever see a Mormon Woman not smiling? I want to see that picture.

I can't keep this up. Hope your day goes better. :)

Well, sumpin ya gots to unnerstan bout us women folk. It's us wut gets to wear the white dress at wedding. Like ta see youuns try that. :) An we hafta smile all the time, even when we aren't inside. Ever see a Mormon Woman not smiling? I want to see that picture.

I can't keep this up. Hope your day goes better. :)

Not true... absolutely not true...

GG