Seriously No Politics ×

Continuing Revelation And The Advocate

rockpond

Thanks so much for "giving me the opportunity" to "support" that publication.  Whose aims, I'm sure, neither I, nor any other member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor the Church itself, wouldn't/shouldn't have any objection to.  (In case you're wondering, the first thing that pops up when someone clicks on your link is an "opportunity" to "support" the publication by watching a video.  And thank you, Rockpond, for being part of the "loyal opposition." <_<

Thanks so much for "giving me the opportunity" to "support" that publication. Whose aims, I'm sure, neither I, nor any other member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, nor the Church itself, wouldn't/shouldn't have any objection to. (In case you're wondering, the first thing that pops up when someone clicks on your link is an "opportunity" to "support" the publication by watching a video. And thank you, Rockpond, for being part of the "loyal opposition." <_<

I read the article on a mobile device and all that link took me to was the article, no video or requests for support.

I felt the article was an interesting and fair perspective from a publication that, as you note, is quite clearly on the "outside" of Mormonism.

From their point of view, I guess this was an attempt to be evenhanded. But they got so many things wrong, it's not even funny. From describing the 1978 revelation as a one time event coming out of a clear blue sky, to not even giving a cursory look at the theological underpinnings of why homosexual behavior is problematic for the church, and so on.

I also detect a note of gay triumphalism-"We are going to win, this is how the losers will adapt to our inevitable victory". Not surprising, considering the source. 

From their point of view, I guess this was an attempt to be evenhanded. But they got so many things wrong, it's not even funny. From describing the 1978 revelation as a one time event coming out of a clear blue sky, to not even giving a cursory look at the theological underpinnings of why homosexual behavior is problematic for the church, and so on.

I also detect a note of gay triumphalism-"We are going to win, this is how the losers will adapt to our inevitable victory". Not surprising, considering the source. 

They described things in ways that we wouldn't necessarily describe them but I don't think they "got so many things wrong".

What do you think is inaccurate about describing the 1978 revelation as a one time event?

I didn't detect the "gay triumphalism" that you did.  It seemed like they were saying, "look, the Mormon church has the theological structure to modify their doctrine with respect to this".  Obviously, I imagine that they hope that it will happen.  But so do a good number of church members.

They described things in ways that we wouldn't necessarily describe them but I don't think they "got so many things wrong".

What do you think is inaccurate about describing the 1978 revelation as a one time event?

I didn't detect the "gay triumphalism" that you did.  It seemed like they were saying, "look, the Mormon church has the theological structure to modify their doctrine with respect to this".  Obviously, I imagine that they hope that it will happen.  But so do a good number of church members.

1- You obviously have never read his son's long essay/short book about Spencer W. Kimball and the revelation on priesthood. Edit: Here it is, if you are interested: https://byustudies.byu.edu/showtitle.aspx?title=7885

2- Define "good number of church members". About the only time I hear an advocacy for change from church members is on internet forums. I can assure you there is zero. ZERO wishing for the kind of change you propose in my ward. At least among active members. And yes, I have either talked about it in personal conversations or seen it discussed in classroom situations that have pretty much involved everyone.

1- You obviously have never read his son's long essay/short book about Spencer W. Kimball and the revelation on priesthood. Edit: Here it is, if you are interested: https://byustudies.byu.edu/showtitle.aspx?title=7885

2- Define "good number of church members". About the only time I hear an advocacy for change from church members is on internet forums. I can assure you there is zero. ZERO wishing for the kind of change you propose in my ward. At least among active members. And yes, I have either talked about it in personal conversations or seen it discussed in classroom situations that have pretty much involved everyone.

1.  No, I haven't but thank you for the link.  I'll send it to my kindle... looks good.  I'm in my 40's, raised in the church, served a mission, taught early morning seminary (including the D&C/Church History year) and I would have still described the 1978 revelation as a one-time event:  the great inspiration that was received in the temple among the First Presidency and the Q of 12.  Now, I understand that more goes into it than that.  I know that President Kimball studied it out for some time.  And I'm sure he (and others) spend much time in sincere prayer.  But even OD2 describes it this way:  "The revelation came to Church President Spencer W. Kimball and was affirmed to other Church leaders in the Salt Lake Temple on June 1, 1978."  I think it's unfair to criticize the article for the way they portrayed it.

2.  Sorry, but you cannot possibly assure me of that (your own statement says "pretty much everyone".  Not everyone feels comfortable sharing their feelings about controversial topics in church.  Just because there was a classroom discussion, does not mean that everyone was in agreement.  Mormons Building Bridges is one example... members of the church marching in Pride Parades.  Their facebook group has nearly 4,500 members.  And, I can tell you that as a counselor in the bishopric, I do not go to my ward and openly advocate for acceptance of gay marriage.  I feel that would be inappropriate to do within my calling as I am a representative of the bishop.  So most members of my ward are not aware of my feelings.

Archived