Cooking Oil

Coconut oil is supposed to be healthy these days even if it is solid at room temp...lard not so much. Salflower oil has a mild, neutral taste good for baking and is considered relatively healthy. If you don't have peanut allergies, I love doing stir ang deep frying in peanut oil. Avocado oil has a very nice, light taste, great for stir fry and dressings.

I hate the taste of canola oil.

Edited by calmoriah

Coconut oil is supposed to be healthy these days even if it is solid at room temp...lard not so much. Salflower oil has a mild, neutral taste good for baking and is considered relatively healthy. If you don't have peanut allergies, I love doing stir ang deep frying in peanut oil. Avocado oil has a very nice, light taste, great for stir fry and dressings.

I hate the taste of canola oil.

I'm having roasted Brussels Sprouts, Gnashed taters with mushroom gravy and nearly raw steak. :)

Avocado, corn (though not as healthy) or salflower I would recommend for flavour and ease, if you don't want the taste of olive oil (which I love on almost anything but sweet baked goods).  I find a light touch with the avocado works best, it doesn't seem to me to be absorbed as much by the food.  Eggs cooked in it can be somewhat greasy.

A touch of roasted/dark sesame oil as a dressing for the brussel sprouts would be very tasty too.

Coconut oil does add a slight taste of coconut to the food, but it isn't the sweet sickly taste you get with the usual sugared shredded coconut you get at grocery stores so it can work for baked goods and a lot of stir frys and such.  I recommend always buying unsweetened coconut in bulk at health food stores if you like coconut, it is tons more delicious than the sweet stuff.

Of course, bacon grease is delightful if you want to add a real punch of flavour to beef.

Edited by calmoriah

When I used to use oil for frying, I used peanut oil... now if I have to use oil, I use Olive oil....

Edit to add... there are different levels of flavor for Olive oil... read the labels and find one that is light in flavor.

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Olive oil also has issues at high temps (it breaks down or something like that) so it's not supposed to be used for all types of frying, only lower temp kinds.  

I use canola when i can't use olive oil but have heard a lot about coconut oil.  Never tried it though.

It is a bit of a pain being solid at room temp and very hard in the refrig where I keep my oils when open to avoid going rancid (save the olive which we use too fast). It melts at 76 so easy to melt, but may chunk up in batter if colder....see link for ideas and cautions.

But I really enjoy the flavour so will be working on ways to make it more accessible....perhaps melting it and making small molds of about a tablespoon to have on hand. I think I will first try melting it slightly and then poring it into a ziplock bag so it will either be tube or slab shaped that will allow me to easily break off pieces rather that trying to pry stuff out of the container or take the time to melt enough each time.

http://m.wikihow.com/Use-Coconut-Oil

http://www.kelapo.com/frequently-asked-questions/

Apparently melting and hardening doesn't affect it so just plopping the whole container in hot water isn't an issue.

I think I will pop some popcorn in it today for a treat.

I wonder about microwaving it though as I understand that some plastics breakdown if microwaved....and if one is doing this a lot given the size of some of the containers, this might release toxins into the oil. Something I am not sure of as claims weren't documented.

Edited by calmoriah

So, aside from Olive oil, what are some good oils to cook with? I can not use Canola Oil; makes me ill. I wonder about Pork Lard? That is what we used when I was raised.

Olive Oil doesn't hold up well in heat so frying with it is not a good idea.  We use Coconut or Avacado Oil.  Love both.  I use the coconut oil is a lot of things including homemade bread and cookies.  The avacado oil is very very light.  My picky eater husband even likes it.  Both are healthier than canola or vegetable oils.  Crisco or other shortenings are good only if you stick a string in the middle and light it. :)

Nutritionally speaking. :-) The healthy oils are olive oil, canola, sunflower, safflower or flaxseed. I go through olive oil, use it in high heat frying scenarios, the trick is to heat the pan/surface you are cooking on, add the oil, cook quickly what you're cooking, and get it out. I've cooked eggs with this method for years, and it always turns out. (Spray olive oil is the best invention ever.) I also spray olive oil on my barbecue to prevent sticking, and it too has worked well for years.

Brussel sprouts coated with olive oil, salt, and then baked uncovered until the outside is dark brown is my latest favorite.

I rarely use any other oil. I'm also not a big baker of sweets, but when I do bake, I look for recipes that do not use vegetable oil or Crisco (yuk).

Olive Oil doesn't hold up well in heat so frying with it is not a good idea.  We use Coconut or Avacado Oil.  Love both.  I use the coconut oil is a lot of things including homemade bread and cookies.  The avacado oil is very very light.  My picky eater husband even likes it.  Both are healthier than canola or vegetable oils.  Crisco or other shortenings are good only if you stick a string in the middle and light it. :)

I do not know why, but I seem to have a limited tolerance for Coconut, though I like it a lot. The Doc seems to think that food intolerance at my age is less to do with allergy than aging. Canola oil makes my body react almost immediately and strongly.

We use coconut oil all the time. It is a nice oil. I really like the idea of pork lard, that is probably the most tasty I am sure.  Peanut oil is nice too and used alot. but I think coconut oil is really the nicest oil I have used to cook with. I also cook with butter. Butter is better.

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

So, aside from Olive oil, what are some good oils to cook with? I can not use Canola Oil; makes me ill. I wonder about Pork Lard? That is what we used when I was raised.

Pork fat rules!

Used in moderation hydrogenated oils(Those solid at room temperature) are fine. Over reliance on them, along with animal derived fats and oils, have been implicated in heart disease.

Corn, safflower, peanut, sunflower, and Canola(Rapeseed) oils, all have a higher burn point than olive oil.  So most US cooks use them rather olive oil for frying. I don't care for the taste of safflower oil. Also I save the Extra Virgin olive oil for things like salad and vegetable dressings. Avocado oils have a slight buttery taste so use them where you want that taste.

Of course if you react badly, or are allergic to any food, including cooking oils, don't use them. There are plenty of substitutes on the market to choose from.

I remember when margarine came white in a plastic bag with a spot of red dye and my job was to mush the bag around until everything was yellow-like . And yes, I can believe it's not butter.

I remember the margarine in our cupboard growing up, no refrigeration required. It stayed the same no matter what. Wish I'd known it was like eating plastic. Nothing but real butter will come in my house, it atleast goes bad if not refrigerated.

I do not know why, but I seem to have a limited tolerance for Coconut, though I like it a lot. The Doc seems to think that food intolerance at my age is less to do with allergy than aging. Canola oil makes my body react almost immediately and strongly.

Well, my stomach isn't happy with the popcorn so I may need to limit coconut oil as well...too bad as that was tasty.

Then try a different vegetable oil such as Avacado Oil.  Re are really loving Avacado oil.  Its healthier than other vegetable oils

I remember when margarine came white in a plastic bag with a spot of red dye and my job was to mush the bag around until everything was yellow-like . And yes, I can believe it's not butter.

My mom remembers this too.  It was her weekly job to make the fake butter yellow.

About 30 years ago I saw a 1 inch blurb in a magazine about hydrogenated oils.  The impression that came to me at the time was this stuff is NOT Healthy!  So, I switched my family back to natural oils and fats, real butter, lard, olive oil.  As time has gone by there have been more and more studies done and more and more articles about the dangers of hydrogenated oils.  The one thing I can't get my family to do is stop using Crisco in Chocolate Chip cookies, but I'm working on it.  I just need to find the right recipe and throw the other one away.

Since WW2 when hydrogentated oils were introduced into the American diet is when the percentage of heart attack and strokes went up.  The FDA tried to blame it on Eggs.  :(  

My mom remembers this too.  It was her weekly job to make the fake butter yellow.

The one thing I can't get my family to do is stop using Crisco in Chocolate Chip cookies, but I'm working on it.  I just need to find the right recipe and throw the other one away.

:sad:

I chuckled when I read about the fake butter... it was my job to do the squeezing... it was during WW2 and real butter was a treat.  We had little ration tokens...

My mom used Crisco for all of her baking/frying all my life growing up... and she still used it in her pie crusts forever which she made from scratch... Oh they were good... I could almost match the ingredients of her pumpkin and mince pies, but could never master her crusts... they were so yummy... flaky and beautiful.

GG

I too remember coming home from school and Mom telling me that she wanted me to squeeze the margarine before I went out to play.  The job was hard if the plastic bag of margarine was too cold.  Usually we softened the margarine by leaving it on top of the heat register for awhile before starting the task of squeezing the tab of red dye and blending it throughout.  Some of us kids were better at it than others, and I seem to remember that the bag broke on a few occasions!

Funny how poignant some of these little memories are!

Edited to say that I was born some years after World War !! (mentioned by Garden Girl) so the usage of those margarine bags must have gone on for a number of years!

(But my family was very frugal, and some of my friends thought it was a novelty in my home, so perhaps it's use wasn't widespread.)

Edited by Paloma