Seriously No Politics ×

The Un And Helping Hands

rockpond

84 million? That's how much per member? We can do much better!

If you assume 14 million members, it's $6 each.

But, if you assume that half are active, then we'd be at $12/member per year.

But realistically, a lot of those members are in underdeveloped countries themselves... places that probably should be on the receiving end of the aid.  So maybe divide $84m by 3.5 million members.  That would put us at $24 per member per year.

In any case, it's roughly consistent with the average annual amount we've reported as donations to humanitarian aid over the past couple decades.

The Church is the members. That is like saying each of the five members of a family gave $100, too bad the family didn't give $500 too.

True, but the amount taken in from the members and allotted to humanitarian vs. business ventures is very small.

So you have the numbers of fast offerings and other welfare expenditures?

No, I do not. Despite what Pres. Hinckley has said, members do not have access to information about the money given to the church, I'm just guessing that we could give more. We're told it's the Lord's money, hopefully he likes where it's going.

Undoubtedly we could give more, but that doesn't equate to mean that the amount we do give is "very small".

Imo, President Hinckley stated that only the individual who gave a donation should be able to ask for an accounting of how much he personally gave, not another member of the ward, not a perfect stranger.  Do you agree with him if that is what he meant?  Would you feel okay if someone on the board was curious about you and wanted to know how much tithing you paid over the years and could just go look it up online somewhere?

It's racking up thousands just by sitting in the bank. 

Right…because that is exactly where all our donations are now, sitting in the bank doing nothing but racking up interest by the thousands.

If you assume 14 million members, it's $6 each.

But, if you assume that half are active, then we'd be at $12/member per year.

But realistically, a lot of those members are in underdeveloped countries themselves... places that probably should be on the receiving end of the aid.  So maybe divide $84m by 3.5 million members.  That would put us at $24 per member per year.

In any case, it's roughly consistent with the average annual amount we've reported as donations to humanitarian aid over the past couple decades.

If one wishes to attempt this type of analysis, it probably also makes sense to account for the fact that LDS membership figures include children and infants. While there are about 400 "members" in my Ward, there are only about 140 households. It seems inaccurate--not to mention unfair--to include children in your assessment.

If one wishes to attempt this type of analysis, it probably also makes sense to account for the fact that LDS membership figures include children and infants. While there are about 400 "members" in my Ward, there are only about 140 households. It seems inaccurate--not to mention unfair--to include children in your assessment.

Ah, good point.

I think there is already quite a large margin of error in the numbers that I put forward in response to Tacenda's question.  I'm afraid that the error would grow even larger in trying to figure out what percentage of the total church membership figure are:

Income-earning adults

Who are active

And are tithe-payers

That live in developed areas of the world.

I dunno... 2 million?  More?  Less?

If anyone is looking for some places to put charitable dollars, consider Choice Humanitarian

Thank you for sharing the Choice Humanitarian idea. After reading it over it has some great well run expeditions, as they call it, to help in other countries, plus ways to donate. It's been a dream of mine to go into a country like the ones on this site and just do something to help, before I die.

Money from investments. Or money from the interest. It's racking up thousands just by sitting in the bank. But who am I to say where the Lord's money should go.

I really doubt the church's business interests have tons of money sitting around in bank accounts making interest.

A 6% cap rate is fairly modest for commercial real estate.  And I'm assuming that they do not have any debt service since the church has said that they don't borrow.

Commercial real estate here in California is in the toilet. Abandoned buildings are so common it is contributing to urban/suburban/rural blight.

Archived