Seriously No Politics ×

How To Start An Easy Blog

Calm

My dad wants to start a blog to keep his Housing Association informed or something.  Not the most tech savvy guy.  What would you suggest for a good combination of ease and comfort and looking decent?

And of course free if possible.

Thank you.

I used WordPress.  Meh. :huh:   :unknw: There are things I like about it, and things I don't.  As for composing posts, if he's reasonably adept at word processing, I usually compose my posts in Word and paste them into my blog.  I've heard good things about Blogger, and I've been toying with the idea of switching.  (Why haven't I?  As they say, "Better the devil you know ..." :diablo: )

Please wish him "Happy Blogging" and good luck! :)

Edited by Kenngo1969

I switched to Blogger from WordPress yesterday, I like the layout better, and it seemed more accessible, since it's tied in to other Google products.

That's my thought as well. :)

I'm interested in this topic.  I've been toying with the idea of blogging for about 4 years now.  But its not something that can be public because I would talk a lot about my raising my grandson.  Very Very long story.

Anyway, are there ways for blogs to be private?  Realizing of course that nothing on the internet is really private and never dies either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I will suggest that to him.

I write all my blogs on WordPress. It works quite well. He will get good use out of it.

I'm interested in this topic.  I've been toying with the idea of blogging for about 4 years now.  But its not something that can be public because I would talk a lot about my raising my grandson.  Very Very long story.

Anyway, are there ways for blogs to be private?  Realizing of course that nothing on the internet is really private and never dies either.

It is kind of pointless to blog privately so nobody can see it. IMHO. You may as well just stick to journaling. You can do that on your computer, too, just don't ever publish it.

HOWEVER, you can also blog quite anonymously as well, as long as you are careful. Go to Wordpress.com and sign up for a blog. In the process of signing up they will ask you if you want to connect your blog to your Facebook or Twitter account, but you can just ignore that and leave it completely anonymous.

For example, just for the fun of it, and using one of my throwaway email accounts, I just now created a brand new blog. It is

http://twiwp7.wordpress.com/

It is completely anonymous. I can post any radical thing I want to there, and nobody will know it is me unless I reveal my identity on my blog, or tell someone that it is me and they let the world know.

So, you can just as easily do the same thing -- just make sure you never identify you or your grandchild, and that would include avoiding mention of where you live and any clues that might lead to someone working it out.

OH, AND NOTE THIS: WordPress will use your email address (the part before the @ sign) as your default blog name (see mine?  my throwaway starts with that).  But you can select any old string of characters you want, as long as it's unique.  For example, my technical blog is: cyberherbalist.wordpress.com.  You could, for example, use raisingmygrandson.  It's available at the moment.

Edited by Stargazer