Seriously No Politics ×

Cats…need Some Help

Calm

For those of you who know cats...

We have a cat that has taken up residence today in one of our window wells that gives it some protection from the rain.  I covered up the well (it can still get out) to make it a bit more dry hopefully.  Am considering removing the screen and putting out a blanket for it to sleep on.  It was also hanging out on our back deck and made love to my daughter when she went out to check on it.  She can see my daughter through the window and appears to be asking to come in.

No id.

So is it likely lost or just hanging around until going home is less likely to make it wet because it has been raining all day and it is kind of muddy in our back yard due to some construction?  There is nothing to eat out there.  We have an inside dog so I don't really want to take it in unless I know for sure it is lost.  Don't want to feed it as that might encourage it to stick around rather than go home.  If it is lost, I might pass it on to my niece who had her cat killed a few months ago as it appears to be a loving animal.  Don't want to deprive its actual owners of it though by some misled being nice to it.

It is going to get down to 33 tonight.  With it being wet, is that likely to harm that cat or will it be okay?  Do I need to clean out my laundry room to give it a room overnight so it doesn't end up dead or injured from the cold?

Edited by calmoriah

It will probably be alright outside in the well unless it is obviously starving or sick or can't stay dry. I think it unlikely it will go away now that you have provided shelter and attention.  I would ask around the neighborhood before adopting it or giving it away.

We have a cat that has taken up residence today in one of our window wells that gives it some protection from the rain. I covered up the well (it can still get out) to make it a bit more dry hopefully. Am considering removing the screen and putting out a blanket for it to sleep on. It was also hanging out on our back deck and made love to my daughter when she went out to check on it. She can see my daughter through the window and appears to be asking to come in.

No id.

So is it likely lost or just hanging around until going home is less likely to make it wet because it has been raining all day and it is kind of muddy in our back yard due to some construction? There is nothing to eat out there. We have an inside dog so I don't really want to take it in unless I know for sure it is lost. Don't want to feed it as that might encourage it to stick around rather than go home. If it is lost, I might pass it on to my niece who had her cat killed a few months ago as it appears to be a loving animal. Don't want to deprive its actual owners of it though by some misled being nice to it.

It is going to get down to 33 tonight. With it being wet, is that likely to harm that cat or will it be okay? Do I need to clean out my laundry room to give it a room overnight so it doesn't end up dead or injured from the cold?

Made love to your daughter? Or did you mean something else. Sleep well, that cat will be fine. Atleast it's not getting soaked. Edited by Tacenda

You know how cats make you think no other in the world exists for them by rubbing themselves on your legs, mewing adoringly and staring into your eyes....

Edited by calmoriah

There's numerous ways a cat can become lost... my mom's disappeared and it would never have left so we speculated that either someone picked it up and took it... or curiosity enticed it into a vehicle and someone drove off with it unknowingly, etc. Or, someone may have dumped it in your neighborhood, thinking that would be better than the shelter (wrong).    Every July 4th our Post Office bulletin board has numerous notices of lost cats and dogs (which ran off because of fireworks).

The ideal thing tonight would be your laundry room... but if you put a cover over your window well (what is a wndow well? A deep set window on the exterior?) it at least has some protection.

Even if it's gone in the morning does not mean it isn't lost... I think BC had a good suggestion to ask around the neighborhood ASAP... and if it doesn't seem like anyone knows where it belongs, assume it is lost and proceed from there... either take it in, give it to your niece, or call the shelter and make sure it is "no kill" and if so take it to the shelter where it can be adopted out...  that's how I got my Bobbie-cat from the shelter.  My big, beautiful, gentle and loving companion... who shares my cottage.

GG 

We have a cat that has taken up residence today in one of our window wells that gives it some protection from the rain.  I covered up the well (it can still get out) to make it a bit more dry hopefully.  Am considering removing the screen and putting out a blanket for it to sleep on.  It was also hanging out on our back deck and made love to my daughter when she went out to check on it.  She can see my daughter through the window and appears to be asking to come in.

No id.

So is it likely lost or just hanging around until going home is less likely to make it wet because it has been raining all day and it is kind of muddy in our back yard due to some construction?  There is nothing to eat out there.  We have an inside dog so I don't really want to take it in unless I know for sure it is lost.  Don't want to feed it as that might encourage it to stick around rather than go home.  If it is lost, I might pass it on to my niece who had her cat killed a few months ago as it appears to be a loving animal.  Don't want to deprive its actual owners of it though by some misled being nice to it.

It is going to get down to 33 tonight.  With it being wet, is that likely to harm that cat or will it be okay?  Do I need to clean out my laundry room to give it a room overnight so it doesn't end up dead or injured from the cold?

Cats, unlike any other domesticated animal, will only stay if it likes you. Mistreat a dog they'll stay, though you might not like the results. A cat OTOH will leave and try to find a new home. You could put out a notice in your neighborhood. But be forewarned cats can travel miles in their daily walkabouts.

You just acquired a cat. All the cats we've had were foundlings, and they all turned out to be great pets. Cats, like people, don't do well in cold, add in wet it is a death sentence.

Well, it appears it got dry and hungry enough to take off.  We will see if it is back tonight…hopefully not, though we would love a cat, just don't think our dog could handle it.

No id.

All I know, is dogs have owners and cats have staff. :)

You know how cats make you think no other in the world exists for them by rubbing themselves on your legs, mewing adoringly and staring into your eyes....

Yeah.  I experienced the exact same thing with my formerly-wild pet porcupine.  (Man, those things are hard to tame  ... and he's friendly, and all ... but petting him is kind of a prickly proposition ... :rofl:)  You might call the local authorities, describe the cat, and ask them if one matching that description has been reported missing.  Good luck. :)

Time before last it happened was two twin little kittens. It was the weekend again so we announced it at church and the owners came by afterwards....they were just a street over.

Last time was a dog, I went far afield knocking on doors getting directions on who it belonged to only to find out it was that same street just at the other end.

i love cats.  im also a volunteer for the local humane society.  hope everything worked out with this kitty.  :)

I would love to volunteer at our shelter, but I don't know if I could emotionally stand it... all those poor little animals that for whatever reason end up at the shelter, all confused and scared... some having been terribly abused.  When they show that commercial on TV about the animals in the shelter cages with that background music, I have to turn away.  I wish I could take in more, but Bob is about all I can handle and afford... he's worse that a child what with his shots, teeth cleaning, and now a chronic condition with his teeth (auto-immune problem that manifests by sore mouth/gums).  But I love him so... we "read" each other and just move through our days... he's strictly indoor.  While I wish he could know the joy of this area where I live, I'm glad he's safe inside... 

GG