Seriously No Politics ×

Does Everyone Have Their Patriarchal Blessing?

If not, I encourage you to get yours. It is such an important document and guideline to the wonders and potential of life to come. Mine knows me so well and I had never met my patriarch before that day.

Did it warn you against the evils of video games? :D

Edited by Senator

Well, to be fair, he probably gave that particular issue away: "Hello, Brother Patriarch.  I'm Brother Video Game Junkie." :rofl:

(Sorry.  :huh:  Couldn't resist.  Carry on!)

Haha actually it did say be careful with the things you view and the things you take in either through word or the visual aspect. So I take that as I should avoid violent video games!

I'm sure there are plenty of ways in which your blessing is tailored for you.  That, however, is good counsel for all of us, I think. :)

If not, I encourage you to get yours. It is such an important document and guideline to the wonders and potential of life to come. Mine knows me so well and I had never met my patriarch before that day.

Even though an adult at the time, my wife and I did, and all my children have as well.

I received my blessing when I was 14 years old, a very active in the Church teen.... I was surprised at some of the contents, but when I became an adult and looked back on it I too "stood all amazed" at how well my Heavenly Father knew me and counseled me (the Patriarch did not know me except superficially, certainly not for the type of counsel that was given).

My blessing made some very specific statements of counsel that no one could know unless truly inspired.  Everything I was warned about I stumbled into to the point of becoming inactive at age 20 for many years.  I can see that I gave up many of the blessings... when I reactived at age 58, I prayed that those parts of my blessing that could be restored would be... and it was and has been ever since.  And the very last blessing/promise is worded in such a way that makes me know Heavenly Father knew my path and where I would be in this part of my life.  I love my blessing because it  is a testimony to me of its truthfulness and sacredness, and the very real inspiration of the Patriarch. 

GG

I think if I had to list my top 10 spiritual moments of my life, my Patriarchal Blessing would definitely be one of them.  I felt the Spirit and knew that it was God's plan for me.  I was also fortunate enough to sit in on my father's, grandmother's, and cousin's blessings and they were a tremendous spiritual blessing as well.

There are things in mine that came true that the Patriarch could not have known about.  For instance, it mentioned I would be an effective teacher, and I was still working as an accountant at the time and had not even considered teaching.  I later made the career change about 5 years after my blessing.  I assumed that it meant teaching in church, but when I was looking for a new career and the girl I was dating at the time told me I should go for the credential exam and consider teaching, I didn't even think about my blessing.  However, after teaching for awhile I looked back on my blessing and knew what it meant.  I know some skeptics would say it was all subconscious, but I don't believe it was.

However, I had one experience that made me doubt it.  There was a phrase in mine that my Patriarch mentioned when he read a sentence from his own blessing during a talk he gave on Patriarchal Blessings at Stake Conference.  It was part of his own blessing, but was word-for-word from mine.  I think Hugh Nibley explained that there is a "Patriarchal" language that accounts for the similarities in many blessings, as well as the similarities in the phrasing of a specific patriarch.  Maybe the Spirit gives them the "idea" and they put it into their own words.

Mine told me I was the Anti-Christ. So I am working hard to fulfill my glorious destiny.

Mine said that I would help those that mourn, and heal the sick. Both of which God allowed me to do...then came the anti-Christ stuff. :) I wish he had blessed me to speak and write better, not to mention to have more luck with leading my family to the gospel.

Mine said that I would help those that mourn, and heal the sick. Both of which God allowed me to do...then came the anti-Christ stuff. :) I wish he had blessed me to speak and write better, not to mention to have more luck with leading my family to the gospel.

the anti christ stuff?  what do you mean?