Seriously No Politics ×

Temple Incentives?

Duncan

Our stake is encouraging everyone to attend the Temple on Easter weekend in April. The stated goal is to achieve 4000 ordinances, as this will show God that we are ready for the promised Temple to be built here. I was wondering what other stakes do to get people to the Temple? ours is 6 hours away

Our ward used to have to travel five or more hours to the temple in Idaho (the length changed depending on the season and whether Yellowstone park was open) they would typically schedule a ward trip.

Basically people would car pool down, share expenses for lodging, and plan on being in the temple from opening to close for however many days the group was there.

About every 3 months we have a Stake Temple Day... Portland, OR is about 2 hrs away from my area, but much closer for most inlanders.

On the 3rd floor of the temple is an Assembly Room that holds about 500 - 600 people... we fill every seat.  When it's our Stake day, they put on extra sessions and the workers go continually, non-stop.  We've been doing this for about three years now...

When we had the very first Day, our Stake Pres did not know what to expect in terms of attendance, nor did the temple.  The Day was announced over the pulpit a couple of weeks beforehand.  When we had our 7:00 PM chapel session we had to move it to the assembly room vs the main chapel... when our SP got up to speak, he looked out at the standing room only gathering (they were even lined up in the hallway) and was overwhelmed to the point it took a few minutes to quiet his emotions... and he thanked us for our faithfulness in answering the call to attend.  It was a very special day and night, with the last session finishing well past closing.  But the workers stayed on, working tirelessly to see that everyone was accommodated.

GG

Our stake is encouraging everyone to attend the Temple on Easter weekend in April. The stated goal is to achieve 4000 ordinances, as this will show God that we are ready for the promised Temple to be built here. I was wondering what other stakes do to get people to the Temple? ours is 6 hours away

Chartered buses and leave at 2:00AM

Best way to be prepared is to get people ready to go to the temple. Help those without recommends get them.

President Hunter encouraged every endowed member to get a Temple recommend. A few years later, the Lord revealed to President Hinckley the revelation to build Temples throughout the world. Do you think this was a coincidence?

When you can, go to the temple. Learn how to be ordinance workers if you are eligible. Because if you are going to have a temple near you, you are going to need ordinance workers, and who do you think is going to be responsible for that? Yep the local wards and stakes AKA: YOU.

Fasting and praying for more revelation to get some will likely help.

Please move to Kirtland.  Then move away.

For better or worse I'm stuck here in southern California. I don't like the weather anywhere else. My home is paid for in full. Family, close friends are here. I'm well known by my Ward, and they still like me anyway. :)

Edited by thesometimesaint

Elder Bedner was in Lagos last month, an said something like; members go to temple when its far from them, and then temple is built close to them, only to find these same members not attending again.

My ward also plans a temple trip often - i guess we're hoping one will soon be built close-by.

Can the temple be a form of idol worship?

Oh Tacenda... that's really uncalled for... you should (and do) know better than that.  While we of course encourage people to qualify for the temple because it is the culmination of the wonderful experiences and blessings of our faith, available only in the House of the Lord.  But our attendng the temple does not approach idol worship.  You know my history as an ordinance worker... that's why it bothers me that you ask the question.  What I mean is, you've been endowed... no matter what your issues are right now...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Oh Tacenda... that's really uncalled for... you should (and do) know better than that. While we of course encourage people to qualify for the temple because it is the culmination of the wonderful experiences and blessings of our faith, available only in the House of the Lord. But our attendng the temple does not approach idol worship. You know my history as an ordinance worker... that's why it bothers me that you ask the question. What I mean is, you've been endowed... no matter what your issues are right now...

GG

I'm not saying the temple itself is wrong. But lately in my ward it seems to be everything.  Primary...the youth...the adults. It seems like the temple is talked about alot and is the main focus. I watched the Gilbert, Arizona temple celebrations on YouTube because a gal I went to school with lives there and was involved with it. It just seemed like worshipping, but I get that they're worshipping what happens in it and the outcome. Sorry for my input, now just an outsider looking in. But I have heard it said before, whether in church or elsewhere, that even the best of things, we can and do turn into idols.

Edited by Tacenda

I'm not saying the temple itself is wrong. But lately in my ward it seems to be everything.  Primary...the youth...the adults. It seems like the temple is talked about alot and is the main focus. I watched the Gilbert, Arizona temple celebrations on YouTube because a gal I went to school with lives there and was involved with it. It just seemed like worshipping, but I get that they're worshipping what happens in it and the outcome. Sorry for my input, now just an outsider looking in. But I have heard it said before, whether in church or elsewhere, that even the best of things, we can and do turn into idols.

Having you considering asking yourself why the temple is so often the main focus in the church?

Do you think it has anything to do with it being the House of the Lord and the covenants which take place there?  Is it possible to idol worship blessings and covenants from the Lord?

I'm not sure if this is a concern, but it's my understanding that Church policy encourages leaders to "encourage" us to attend the Temple, but absolutely without any sort of "quotas".  I don't know if "stated goals" = "quotas", but it's something to be aware of.