Mormons Vs Non Mormon

deedoo

Why are Mormons taught to stay away from non Mormons? Does God only love Mormons?

Excuse me... I note that you are a new board member and this is your first post... so, I'll try and put up with the silliness of your question.  Where in the world did you ever get the idea... the mistaken idea... that Mormons are "taught to stay away from non Mormons"??!!  And your equally silly question "Does God only love Mormons?"  If you are to invite meaningful interaction with other board members... which can be quite enjoyable even if a non-LDS... as others here on the board have proven, then I strongly suggest you just Stop... take a breath... and see if you can't lose the nonsense and let us get to know you a little...

So, other than that I'll just say... Welcome to the board... let's see if you can't come up with something meaningful that we can respond to... hmm?

Garden Girl  

I never was. :) God loves all people regardless of denomination, or lack thereof. 

and he inviteth them allto come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile.

Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

If a Mormon taught you that we are better than anyone else, they are misinformed 

Edited by Coreyb

Hello Deedoo, welcome to the board.  I think you may have already received some direct response to the question. The premise is strange to those of us who are Latter-day Saint or Mormon. It is like a bucket of cold water being thrown on your face when you are peacefully sleeping.

The error is that you assume that the Church teaches its members to avoid nonmembers, which it does not. The Church has one of the strongest missionary programs in the world. It is impossible to assume that we avoid others when we believe so strongly in teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ to every nation and every people. 

Can you explain what motivated your question?

Why are Mormons taught to stay away from non Mormons? Does God only love Mormons?

Hi Deedoo, welcome to the board. 

I'd be interested to know more detail behind this question. It's true that Mormons spend a lot of time with other Mormons.

If you've asked a Mormon girl out on a date you might have been turned down if you're not Mormon. Sorry about that. Mormons are encouraged to date other mormons (you marry the people you date). There was a lovely young woman who asked me out on a date when I was a teenager. I liked her a lot but turned her down on the basis that she wasn't a member. 

It's also true that Mormons spend a lot of time with other Mormons because of our service structures. For example:

Volunteer06_Infographic.png

There's not a teaching that we should only serve and interact with other Mormons, but there's a culture that leads to this behaviour.

I'm going to assume that someone in your life told you they wouldn't date you because you were not a mormon.   (That is the context in which this issue arises sometimes.)

I can't say that I've never known a mormon family who thought it too scary to interact with non-members at all ---- I have known such families.  

I have also known lots of parents who taught their children that people marry whom they date and thus they ought to be sure that they were dating someone with their same values and standards and expectations ---- but many of those families weren't LDS, so that is not a unique teaching of our faith.   The premise wasn't that mormons were better, just that mormons have wholly different expectations that much of the world around them and it is harder to make relationships work when those trying to make it work are very different from each other, and when they both don't wholly believe in the lds faith and lifestyle. 

But of all the people of faith that you (OP) have ever met, we teach that God loves all of His children, and that church members have a duty to reach out to others not of our faith all of whom are their brothers and sisters and share what they know and love them, so that they too can have the opportunities and blessings that church members enjoy and so they can return to God as He planned when He sent us all here.   

So what you have experienced isn't church or faith teaching.   It is the personal experience of the person who conveyed that to you.   But I hope that you at least ask that person about what they are doing, since it is possible that you have misunderstood what they meant, or that they may not understand their own faith correctly.

Edited by rpn

If that were so the Church missionary program would come to a sudden halt.  Since that program is still a vibrant program I must assume you are working from a false premise.

A gaI I've known since she was a child, she's my daughter's age, just came out of Mormonism and her family is now calling themselves Christian. She recently posted on FB that her 10 yr. old (?) daughter is being bullied at school from LDS kids for saying she is a Christian now. So it can happen.

Edited by Tacenda

deedoo, hi. Non-Mormon here.

There is no way I believe that Mormons are taught to "stay away" from non-Mormons out of inappropriate feelings that they would sully themselves by Gentile contact. I have found them among the most courteous people I have known. To the extent that our different beliefs allow, I consider them to be as friendly as any folk I have ever considered as a group.

Maybe you are wishing to date or marry a Mormon and finding resistance in some way? It is common among all serious faith traditions to encourage marriage and the courtship which precedes marriage within that faith tradition. Four kids in my family. One is studying for the Catholic priesthood. Two are married to Catholics. The other is dating a Catholic. I guess you could say my family has been taught to "stay away" from non-Catholics in that context. Who wants to be married to someone with different values about things you hold most precious? Parents and church leaders don't need to really teach "staying away". They first need to help the young person to love and cherish their faith tradition and it naturally follows that they will "stay away" from those who oppose it when it comes to closest friendships or marriage. I doubt if I ever had a conversation about this subject with my children but look what happened.

But maybe I have mistaken your meaning. Perhaps you could clarify the context of your presupposition and in what sense you think Mormons are taught to "stay away" from non-Mormons. 

I don't know any religious sect or cult including my own that teaches that God's love is restricted to that sect.

3DOP

Edited by 3DOP

A gaI I've known since she was a child, she's my daughter's age, just came out of Mormonism and her family is now calling themselves Christian. She recently posted on FB that her 10 yr. old (?) daughter is being bullied at school from LDS kids for saying she is a Christian now. So it can happen.

Tacenda...

I would hope that you would make it clear, particularly to deedoo who obviously doesn't know much about Mormons, that this family is calling themselves "Christian" most likely because they no longer identify with the Mormon Church... not because Mormons are not Christian... If the little girl is being taunted by LDS kids at school, shame on them!!  Someone should tell their parents.

It's a beautiful morning here... welcome sunshine... makes the heart sing... have a good day...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

That is not the case, and would spell doom for growth, and missionaries would not be needed to the tune of around 80,000 right now. In over 100+ countries. God loves all...may I ask what brought you to such an understanding of Mormons?

http://www.lds.org/topics/kingdoms-of-glory?lang=eng

This is the basic manual for investigators and new converts, if you start at Chapter 40 and read through the end...won't take that long even if you reference the scriptures...you will get a good idea of what we believe in regards to the next life. Even better start at the beginning and read through to get it all in context:

http://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-40-temple-work-and-family-history?lang=eng

Edited by calmoriah

Tacenda...

I would hope that you would make it clear, particularly to deedoo who obviously doesn't know much about Mormons, that this family is calling themselves "Christian" most likely because they no longer identify with the Mormon Church... not because Mormons are not Christian... If the little girl is being taunted by LDS kids at school, shame on them!!  Someone should tell their parents.

It's a beautiful morning here... welcome sunshine... makes the heart sing... have a good day...

GG

And hopefully deedoo is also aware that children often do things that they are not taught to do by their parents.  

Don't you have to be Mormon to go to heaven or where ever you go when you die?

Mormons are practically universalists deedoo. They believe, unlike many Christians including myself, that almost everybody avoids "the hot place".

I grew up in non-Mormon areas, have lived in many non-Mormon areas, and served in the armed forces with lots of non-Mormons, etc., but have never been bullied for being a Mormon.  However, kids are kids and I can imagine Mormon kids bullying each other in elementary and secondary schools in heavily Mormon areas, just as non-Mormon kids will naturally bully other kids who do not appear to be normal in some way, or to fit in.

Also, what constitutes bullying?  Name calling, hitting, vandalism, texting vicious rumors, etc.?  One must be very clear as to what sort of bullying is going on.  I knew Jewish guys who told me of being beaten as "Christ killers" when walking to school in the 1950s.  Children can be cruel, but ethnic and racist violence is really an extension of parental bigotry.  Kids pick up on it.

Don't you have to be Mormon to go to heaven or where ever you go when you die?

No you don't, but once under covenant, you are expected to obey, but our scripture D&C 137, if memory serves) teaches that any person who would have excepted the gospel, having been giving the opportunity to receive the presence of God and any who die young and cannot understand will. So Mormons, Catholics, Muslims, Buddist, Jews and so on, and all who die before learning of it if there faith is strong will. We nor our faith is argonaut in this respect.

No you don't, but once under covenant, you are expected to obey, but our scripture D&C 137, if memory serves) teaches that any person who would have excepted the gospel, having been giving the opportunity to receive the presence of God and any who die young and cannot understand will. So Mormons, Catholics, Muslims, Buddist, Jews and so on, and all who die before learning of it if there faith is strong will. We nor our faith is argonaut in this respect.

Pa Pa. Argonaut? I don't understand. I wouldn't think that you or anybody is an "argonaut". All I can think of is Jason from that cool 50's movie that had special effects that were as amazing as anything I had seen until the era of computers. Sorry. Heh. What is an "argonaut" theologically speaking?

We also think that the " hot place " is actually very cold and dark.

Fair 'nough. So did Dante (Roman Catholic). Cold can produce a burning sensation too.

I grew up in non-Mormon areas, have lived in many non-Mormon areas, and served in the armed forces with lots of non-Mormons, etc., but have never been bullied for being a Mormon. However, kids are kids and I can imagine Mormon kids bullying each other in elementary and secondary schools in heavily Mormon areas, just as non-Mormon kids will naturally bully other kids who do not appear to be normal in some way, or to fit in.

Also, what constitutes bullying? Name calling, hitting, vandalism, texting vicious rumors, etc.? One must be very clear as to what sort of bullying is going on. I knew Jewish guys who told me of being beaten as "Christ killers" when walking to school in the 1950s. Children can be cruel, but ethnic and racist violence is really an extension of parental bigotry. Kids pick up on it.

She's gotten nearly 50 comments, some that say they also had problems growing up non LDS in Utah, and others that say it's definitely not a church thing but more the dumb adult, or kids acting like kids. But I do feel there is a problem, I guess they didn't hear the GC talk by Pres. Hinckley near the end of his presidency, urging members to reach out to their non LDS friends and neighbors.

Pa Pa. Argonaut? I don't understand. I wouldn't think that you or anybody is an "argonaut". All I can think of is Jason from that cool 50's movie that had special effects that were as amazing as anything I had seen until the era of computers. Sorry. Heh. What is an "argonaut" theologically speaking?

Probably an autocorrect gone wrong…I bet he meant "arrogant".