Seriously No Politics ×

Must Read Mormon Books

Coreyb

As a younger person, I haven't had as much time on this earth to read as some board members. I love reading Mormon books, but I am very picky, since I realize I will probably never have a lot of reading time, and I don't want to waste any of it. I was wondering if you all could help me put together a list of the best, most important Mormon Literature (doesn't have to necessarily have to be a book). I will start out the list with my favorites and would appreciate any contributions. Thanks :)

(Obviously)

KJV Bible

Book of Mormon

Doctrine & Covenants 

Pearl of Great Price

Articles of Faith by James E. Talmage

Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling by Richard L. Bushman

Lectures on Faith by Joseph Smith? Sidney Rigdon?

Brigham Young: Pioneer Prophet by John G. Turner

The Life and Thought of Orson Pratt by Breck England

Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage

Early Mormonism and the Magic World View by D. Micheal Quinn

Enoch the Prophet by Hugh Nibley

The Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W. Kimball

I love Hugh Nibley's "Temple and Cosmos," as I have mentioned several times on board... particularly for members who are endowed... it's filled with ah-ha moments...

"Reflections of a Scientist" by Henry Eyring (father of Pres Eyring)

"Principles and Practices of the Restored Gospel" by Victor L. Ludlow

"Believing Christ" by Stephen E. Robinson

And, "Beyond Death's Door" by Brent and Wendy Top

GG

As a younger person, I haven't had as much time on this earth to read as some board members. I love reading Mormon books, but I am very picky, since I realize I will probably never have a lot of reading time, and I don't want to waste any of it. I was wondering if you all could help me put together a list of the best, most important Mormon Literature (doesn't have to necessarily have to be a book). I will start out the list with my favorites and would appreciate any contributions. Thanks :)

(Obviously)

KJV Bible

Book of Mormon

Doctrine & Covenants 

Pearl of Great Price

Articles of Faith by James E. Talmage

Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling by Richard L. Bushman

Lectures on Faith by Joseph Smith? Sidney Rigdon?

Brigham Young: Pioneer Prophet by John G. Turner

The Life and Thought of Orson Pratt by Breck England

Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage

Early Mormonism and the Magic World View by D. Micheal Quinn

Enoch the Prophet by Hugh Nibley

The Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W. Kimball

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith by Jos. Fielding Smith (the only modern doctrinal book I esteem as highly as the scriptures).  Words of Joseph Smith by Ehat & Cook being a very acceptable substitute.

Journal of Discourses - they may not be "official" but if you really want to know what the Church taught in the 1800s there's no better collection of sermons from GA's of the time.

Approaching Zion by Hugh Nibley - the best collection of discourses on Consecration I've read.  It should change your view of monetary things completely.

For slightly deeper and trickier topics - Signature Books has published the best collection of information on Temples/Church History/Doctrine that I've read recently - Mysteries of Godliness (BUERGER) and the three-part temple series by Anderson.  Mormon Polygamy by Van Wagoner.  Plus you can read Quinn, Compton, and more.  Just full of detailed and easy to read discussions of both controversial and deeper subjects. 

I also second the already mentioned: Believing Christ, Prophecy Key To The Future, Temple & Cosmos, & Rough Stone Rolling.

Ditto on Mormonism in Transition.

I'd also add:

The God Who Weeps by Terryl and Fiona Givens 

Shaken Faith Syndrome by Mike Ash

Joseph Smith's First Vision: A Guide to the Historical Accounts by Steven Harper

Second Witness Commentary by Brant Gardner

The Gift and Power by Brant Gardner

Book of Mormon: The Earliest Text edited by Royal Skouson

I just bought Approaching Zion but haven't read it yet. Temple and cosmos will probably be my next Nibley book. Mormonism in transition looks very interesting. I have just recently become very interested in that period of mormon history

Edited by Coreyb

As a younger person, I haven't had as much time on this earth to read as some board members. I love reading Mormon books, but I am very picky, since I realize I will probably never have a lot of reading time, and I don't want to waste any of it. I was wondering if you all could help me put together a list of the best, most important Mormon Literature (doesn't have to necessarily have to be a book). I will start out the list with my favorites and would appreciate any contributions. Thanks

"The Coming of the Lord" by Gerald N. Lund.

Thanks,
Jim

2d vote for Believing Christ

The middle five chapters in In Quiet Desperation (which is pure applied atonement)

Key to Science of Theology by Parley P. Pratt

Abraham Divided by Daniel Peterson

Encyclopedia of Mormonism (now online) for reference

Out Of The Best Books series ---- a 7 or so year RS curriculum that was about culture

When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered by Wilcox

While the following aren't necessary for faith, they are helpful with history

Brian Hales series on Polygamy

Rough Stone Rolling by Bushman

Mountain Meadows Massacre by Turley et al

• 4 weeks later...

Joseph Smith (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Lectures on Faith)

Brigham Young. (Discourses of Brigham Young and The Essential Brigham Young)

Orson Pratt. (The Essential Orson Pratt)

Parley Pratt (Key to the Science of Theology)

Joseph F. Smith (Gospel Doctrine)

BH Roberts (The Way, The Truth, The Life)

John A. Widsoe (Evidences and Reconciliations)

James E. Talmage (Jesus the Christ and Articles of Faith)

Joseph Fielding Smith (Doctrines of Salvation)

Bruce R. McConkie (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary and the Messiah Series. Or Mormon Doctrine for short.)

Hugh Nibley (An Approach to the Book of Mormon. Approaching Zion. Temple and the Cosmos.)

Spencer W. Kimball (Miracle of Forgiveness)

Neal A. Maxwell. (Too many good books. Amazon has an "Neal A. Maxwell Classics" 5 in 1 ebook bundle with perhaps the best. However, nearly everything doctrinal in his books is also in his BYU devotionals and conference talks. )

Tad McCallister. (The Infinite Atonement)

Blake Ostler. (Exploring Mormon Thought v. 1-3 and Fire on the Horizon)

Terryl Givens (The God Who Weeps)